My CD drives not showing up.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Both my DVD Rom and DVD/CD-RW will not show up under my computer. Under
Properties they both say: Windows cannot start this device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

To solve the problem, I figured I would reformat Windows XP, however since I
cant access the drives I obviously can't run the Windows XP Startup Disk.
What else can I do? I'm not very good with computers, but I do use a
Firewall, Norton Anti-Virus Protection and Spyware removers to keep my
computer as safe as I can. I have checked for viruses and havent found
any...what can I do?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To be specific:

DVD ROM- Samsung DVD-ROM SD 616T
DVDRW- _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A

Running on a Dell Windows XP SP2 computer, and my C Drive is NTFS.

Although I dont think any of this information is of any importance because I
believe I have a virus that caused this problem. I hope that someone could
also just explain the Reformatting process, as I have wanted to reformat for
a while but never have. However right now if there's no other way to
reformat besides using the CD drive I dont know what I can do anyway......

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Whoops, missed one question.

They are internal drives and would prefer not to open my computer to remove
them unless it really is necessary.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I wish there was an edit function, I'm writing very messily.

The "stupid error on my part" that I spoke about in the second paragraph is
the Nero CD burner I got from a friend that I go more into in the next
paragraph..sorry for any confusion.

If there are more questions about how I worded things, please ask. Im very
tired and may have made more errors..

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wow...more errors. This one is quite important, otherwise I wouldnt keep
reposting.

This sentence "However I uninstalled it immediately because I saw that as the
conflict." should be read... "However I uninstalled it immediately because I
THOUGHT that was the cause of the problem and created a conflict of some
sort".

I do not know the direct cause of my DVD drives not working, it could have
nothing to do with this.

Please check the following Knowledge Base article which applies not only to
the referenced Easy CD Creator in the article but Nero as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

Specifically, the issue is usually the upperlifters and lowerlifters
referenced in the article.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wish there was an edit function, I'm writing very messily.
>
> The "stupid error on my part" that I spoke about in the second paragraph
> is
> the Nero CD burner I got from a friend that I go more into in the next
> paragraph..sorry for any confusion.
>
> If there are more questions about how I worded things, please ask. Im very
> tired and may have made more errors..

I had the same problem last year under W2K. This is the solution that
worked.