Error code 39

My cd and dvd drives will not show up under My Computer! I have tried
uninstalling and everything. It says that the drivers are corrupt or
missing. How can I fix this problem?

thank you
12 answers Last reply
More about error code

    Tried this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    thunderstormz wrote:
    > My cd and dvd drives will not show up under My Computer! I have tried
    > uninstalling and everything. It says that the drivers are corrupt or
    > missing. How can I fix this problem?
    >
    > thank you

    should i delete the .bak files too?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Tried this?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > thunderstormz wrote:
    > > My cd and dvd drives will not show up under My Computer! I have tried
    > > uninstalling and everything. It says that the drivers are corrupt or
    > > missing. How can I fix this problem?
    > >
    > > thank you

    this did not fix the problem

    I have the same problem...I just made a post about it too.

    Did you find the answer to the problem?

    I have a NEC 7200a cd-rw drive

    and a Samsung 616T dvd drive

    how can you figure out which drive is corrupted or missing?

    The problem is solved.

    This is how (safe mode)

    Load up in safe mode and go to this website
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    follow the instructions then,

    clear nvram:

    Press the Number Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock such that all the 3 lights
    on the keyboard are lit.
    Press Alt and E, make sure you hear a beep,
    Press Alt and F,
    Press Alt and B.

    If that doesn't work then you are searching for the wrong error code

    answer brought to by dell support ty

    I have done EVERYTHING suggested by this and every other board I can find
    relating to code 39. I believe I deleted a lower filter some days ago,
    buthat made no difference. I have gone through the safe mode, clear nvram
    protocol without a change, I have even downloaded and added one of the
    registry fixes suggested on this forum, but still cannot get my cdrom or dvd
    drives seen by my computer. Any other suggested would be most appreciated.
    Should I reinstall the operating system? and how can I do that without a
    peripheral disc drive?

    "thunderstormz" wrote:

    > The problem is solved.
    >
    > This is how (safe mode)
    >
    > Load up in safe mode and go to this website
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    >
    > follow the instructions then,
    >
    > clear nvram:
    >
    > Press the Number Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock such that all the 3 lights
    > on the keyboard are lit.
    > Press Alt and E, make sure you hear a beep,
    > Press Alt and F,
    > Press Alt and B.
    >
    > If that doesn't work then you are searching for the wrong error code
    >
    > answer brought to by dell support ty

    Can you boot up with your WinXP cd-rom? Make sure booting from the cd-rom
    is enabled in the BIOS. If you can, that answers your question as to if you
    can do a complete reinstall. If you can't, you may have a hardware failure.

    r.

    "nrk99" <nrk99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have done EVERYTHING suggested by this and every other board I can find
    > relating to code 39. I believe I deleted a lower filter some days ago,
    > buthat made no difference. I have gone through the safe mode, clear nvram
    > protocol without a change, I have even downloaded and added one of the
    > registry fixes suggested on this forum, but still cannot get my cdrom or
    > dvd
    > drives seen by my computer. Any other suggested would be most
    > appreciated.
    > Should I reinstall the operating system? and how can I do that without a
    > peripheral disc drive?
    >

    > "thunderstormz" wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is solved.
    >>
    >> This is how (safe mode)
    >>
    >> Load up in safe mode and go to this website
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    >>
    >> follow the instructions then,
    >>
    >> clear nvram:
    >>
    >> Press the Number Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock such that all the 3
    >> lights
    >> on the keyboard are lit.
    >> Press Alt and E, make sure you hear a beep,
    >> Press Alt and F,
    >> Press Alt and B.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work then you are searching for the wrong error code
    >>
    >> answer brought to by dell support ty

    Just in case you have not seen this one...

    r.

    "nrk99" <nrk99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have done EVERYTHING suggested by this and every other board I can find
    > relating to code 39. I believe I deleted a lower filter some days ago,
    > buthat made no difference. I have gone through the safe mode, clear nvram
    > protocol without a change, I have even downloaded and added one of the
    > registry fixes suggested on this forum, but still cannot get my cdrom or
    > dvd
    > drives seen by my computer. Any other suggested would be most
    > appreciated.
    > Should I reinstall the operating system? and how can I do that without a
    > peripheral disc drive?
    >

    > "thunderstormz" wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is solved.
    >>
    >> This is how (safe mode)
    >>
    >> Load up in safe mode and go to this website
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    >>
    >> follow the instructions then,
    >>
    >> clear nvram:
    >>
    >> Press the Number Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock such that all the 3
    >> lights
    >> on the keyboard are lit.
    >> Press Alt and E, make sure you hear a beep,
    >> Press Alt and F,
    >> Press Alt and B.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work then you are searching for the wrong error code
    >>
    >> answer brought to by dell support ty

    The only thing else i can think of is removing the disk drive, then booting
    up. Then shutdown, put the drive back in and startup again. If you have two
    drives try switching them to see if that will get the computer to recognize
    it again.

    good luck

    I am having the same problemz but code 41/ Post if you get an answer

    "thunderstormz" wrote:

    > My cd and dvd drives will not show up under My Computer! I have tried
    > uninstalling and everything. It says that the drivers are corrupt or
    > missing. How can I fix this problem?
    >
    > thank you

    See Alex Nichol's article at:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    www.coribright.com

    "TeChGuY2005" <TeChGuY2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having the same problemz but code 41/ Post if you get an answer
    >

    > "thunderstormz" wrote:
    >
    >> My cd and dvd drives will not show up under My Computer! I have tried
    >> uninstalling and everything. It says that the drivers are corrupt or
    >> missing. How can I fix this problem?
    >>
    >> thank you

Windows XP