Use of GPS Receiver with Streets & Trips 2005

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • GPS
  • Windows XP
November 4, 2004 5:52:01 PM

I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The computer
sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software doesn't.
I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all the
troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just by
the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one with
XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to 4800
as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
--
Steve Nesbitt
Houston, TX

More about : gps receiver streets trips 2005

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:11:52 PM

news:D 18393E9-47C8-47BB-95EA-FAFA95427DD5@microsoft.com...
>I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
> matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
> computer
> sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software
> doesn't.
> I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
> Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all the
> troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just
> by
> the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one
> with
> XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
> reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to
> 4800
> as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
> --
> Steve Nesbitt
> Houston, TX

If you tried the same receiver on three different computers with different
OSs, I'd say that there's a problem with the receiver. Either it's
defective, or you have to wake it up somehow. Does it require batteries or
anything?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:22:47 PM

Steve wrote:
> I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver.
> No matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
> computer sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T
> software doesn't. I've checked the system hardware manager and it
> shows "Microsoft USB GPS Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't
> there. I've been through all the troubleshooting precisely, have
> removed the program and reloaded it just by the instructions and even
> tried it out on all three computers I own, one with XP Professional,
> one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've reloaded the
> provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to 4800 as
> specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?

Consult the MS Knowledge base.

November 4, 2004 10:44:17 PM

news:D 18393E9-47C8-47BB-95EA-FAFA95427DD5@microsoft.com...
|I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
| matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
computer
| sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software
doesn't.
| I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
| Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all
the
| troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just
by
| the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one
with
| XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
| reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to
4800
| as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
| --
| Steve Nesbitt
| Houston, TX

FWIW: It may help with your configuration.

<http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_286509.aspx&gt;
November 4, 2004 10:44:18 PM

Thanks to all of you for the quick replies. I looked at the Knowledge Base
and tried some of the fixes before deciding this was just not worth the
trouble. I went back to my copy of S&T 2004 and the GPS receiver worked like
a champ. So much for progress! Thanks again.

!