Use of GPS Receiver with Streets & Trips 2005

I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The computer
sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software doesn't.
I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all the
troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just by
the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one with
XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to 4800
as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
--
Steve Nesbitt
Houston, TX

    >I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
    > matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
    > computer
    > sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software
    > doesn't.
    > I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
    > Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all the
    > troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just
    > by
    > the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one
    > with
    > XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
    > reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to
    > 4800
    > as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
    > --
    > Steve Nesbitt
    > Houston, TX

    If you tried the same receiver on three different computers with different
    OSs, I'd say that there's a problem with the receiver. Either it's
    defective, or you have to wake it up somehow. Does it require batteries or
    anything?

    Steve wrote:
    > I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver.
    > No matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
    > computer sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T
    > software doesn't. I've checked the system hardware manager and it
    > shows "Microsoft USB GPS Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't
    > there. I've been through all the troubleshooting precisely, have
    > removed the program and reloaded it just by the instructions and even
    > tried it out on all three computers I own, one with XP Professional,
    > one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've reloaded the
    > provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to 4800 as
    > specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?

    Consult the MS Knowledge base.

    |I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
    | matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
    computer
    | sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software
    doesn't.
    | I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
    | Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all
    the
    | troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just
    by
    | the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one
    with
    | XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
    | reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to
    4800
    | as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
    | --
    | Steve Nesbitt
    | Houston, TX

    FWIW: It may help with your configuration.

    <http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_286509.aspx>

    Thanks to all of you for the quick replies. I looked at the Knowledge Base
    and tried some of the fixes before deciding this was just not worth the
    trouble. I went back to my copy of S&T 2004 and the GPS receiver worked like
    a champ. So much for progress! Thanks again.

    "Frank" wrote:

    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I just installed Streets & Trips 2005 with the bundled GPS receiver. No
    > | matter what I try, the software won't recognize the receiver. The
    > computer
    > | sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB port, but the S&T software
    > doesn't.
    > | I've checked the system hardware manager and it shows "Microsoft USB GPS
    > | Port (Com 4)", but S&T pretends it isn't there. I've been through all
    > the
    > | troubleshooting precisely, have removed the program and reloaded it just
    > by
    > | the instructions and even tried it out on all three computers I own, one
    > with
    > | XP Professional, one with XP Media Center and one with Windows 98. I've
    > | reloaded the provided drivers. The baud rate of the com port is set to
    > 4800
    > | as specified. No joy. Any suggestions before I give up?
    > | --
    > | Steve Nesbitt
    > | Houston, TX
    >
    > FWIW: It may help with your configuration.
    >
    > <http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_286509.aspx>

Microsoft GPS Windows XP