Whenever I Reboot, I have to Restart my Network

I must not have my network setup correctly, because it never ceases to
cause headaches.

I have a wireless network setup thusly:

phoneline -> DSL Modem -> Netgear Wireless Router -> Wireless connection to
all my computers.

Until recently the only devices connected to my network were my desktop pc
and laptop (which I rarely use). I had been having a problem where
everytime I restarted my desktop pc (running windows xp pro) I would have
to restart my network (turn off dsl modem, unplug router, turn on dsl
modem, plug in router) to get an internet connection.

Specifically, if I didn't restart the network, I would have network
connectivity, and limited internet connectivity. I could access local
network resources and use msn messenger, but I couldn't browse the web with
a web browser. (I tried IE and Firefox). After restarting the network,
everything would be fine until I rebooted again.

Now I've added another desktop pc to my network and the problem is worse.
Before, this was a mere inconvenience. I knew something was wrong, but it
wasn't a big enough problem to try and fix it. Now it seems I still have
to restart the network, but getting both computers on the internet at the
same time is tricky. Sometimes I can get both on without problems,
sometimes not.

What could I have done wrong?

thanks

-ivan.
2 answers Last reply
More about whenever reboot restart network

    Give us your IP, subnet and default gateway setting for all 3
    computers...Preferably after the problem shows up...

    "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in

    > Give us your IP, subnet and default gateway setting for all 3
    > computers...Preferably after the problem shows up...

    ipconfig on all 3 systems as of now:

    Desktop 1:
    IP address: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    internet connection: good

    Desktop 2:
    IP address: 192.168.0.4
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    internet connection: none (but msn messenger works)

    Notebook:
    IP address: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    internet connection: good

    Until about 15 minutes ago, Desktop 2 had internet access. Then it
    inexplicably logged off the network and logged back on again - this time
    without internet access.

    Based on experience, if I restart the network, Desktop 2 will gain
    internet access again and all will be fine... for a while. Sometimes I
    have to reset the network several times before Desktop 2 gains internet
    access.

    thanks!

    -ivan.

Wireless Networking