Whenever I Reboot, I have to Restart my Network

I must not have my network setup correctly, because it never ceases to
cause headaches.

I have a wireless network setup thusly:

phoneline -> DSL Modem -> Netgear Wireless Router -> Wireless connection to
all my computers.

Until recently the only devices connected to my network were my desktop pc
and laptop (which I rarely use). I had been having a problem where
everytime I restarted my desktop pc (running windows xp pro) I would have
to restart my network (turn off dsl modem, unplug router, turn on dsl
modem, plug in router) to get an internet connection.

Specifically, if I didn't restart the network, I would have network
connectivity, and limited internet connectivity. I could access local
network resources and use msn messenger, but I couldn't browse the web with
a web browser. (I tried IE and Firefox). After restarting the network,
everything would be fine until I rebooted again.

Now I've added another desktop pc to my network and the problem is worse.
Before, this was a mere inconvenience. I knew something was wrong, but it
wasn't a big enough problem to try and fix it. Now it seems I still have
to restart the network, but getting both computers on the internet at the
same time is tricky. Sometimes I can get both on without problems,
sometimes not.

What could I have done wrong?

thanks

-ivan.

Give us your IP, subnet and default gateway setting for all 3
computers...Preferably after the problem shows up...

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in

> Give us your IP, subnet and default gateway setting for all 3
> computers...Preferably after the problem shows up...

ipconfig on all 3 systems as of now:

Desktop 1:
IP address: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1
internet connection: good

Desktop 2:
IP address: 192.168.0.4
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1
internet connection: none (but msn messenger works)

Notebook:
IP address: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1
internet connection: good

Until about 15 minutes ago, Desktop 2 had internet access. Then it
inexplicably logged off the network and logged back on again - this time
without internet access.

Based on experience, if I restart the network, Desktop 2 will gain
internet access again and all will be fine... for a while. Sometimes I
have to reset the network several times before Desktop 2 gains internet
access.

thanks!

-ivan.