USB Hard Drive

I put an IDE hard drive in an USB enclosure, formatted the disk, and
plugged it in. XP does see the drive (it comes up as a USB Storage
Device) but does not automatically assign it a drive letter. I would
like to write a program in C++ or VB that automatically assigns a
drive letter to it. Any ideas or suggestions?

bar

The drive should be assigned a drive letter, you might need to be logged on
as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to
perform some tasks.

Disk Management is a system utility for managing hard disks and the
partitions or volumes that they contain. With Disk Management, you can
initialize new disks, create volumes, and format volumes with the FAT, FAT32,
or NTFS file systems. Disk Management enables you to perform most
disk-related tasks without shutting down your computer; most configuration
changes take effect immediately.

To open Disk Management
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

On 4 Nov 2004 20:54:55 -0800, robertwertheim@hotmail.com (RM) wrote:

>I put an IDE hard drive in an USB enclosure, formatted the disk, and
>plugged it in. XP does see the drive (it comes up as a USB Storage
>Device) but does not automatically assign it a drive letter. I would
>like to write a program in C++ or VB that automatically assigns a
>drive letter to it. Any ideas or suggestions?

It should automatically assign a drive letter when you boot up. May be
you have disabled other drive letters. Re-enable then via Tweakui or
Group Policy editor.

Peter Hutchison
http://www.pcguru.plus.com

BAR <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<D4DADB83-8F4C-496D-8D90-88E5D72C4F08@microsoft.com>...
> The drive should be assigned a drive letter, you might need to be logged on
> as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to
> perform some tasks.
>
> Disk Management is a system utility for managing hard disks and the
> partitions or volumes that they contain. With Disk Management, you can
> initialize new disks, create volumes, and format volumes with the FAT, FAT32,
> or NTFS file systems. Disk Management enables you to perform most
> disk-related tasks without shutting down your computer; most configuration
> changes take effect immediately.
>
> To open Disk Management
> Open Computer Management (Local).
> In the console tree, click Disk Management.
>
> To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
> Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
>

> "RM" wrote:
>
> > I put an IDE hard drive in an USB enclosure, formatted the disk, and
> > plugged it in. XP does see the drive (it comes up as a USB Storage
> > Device) but does not automatically assign it a drive letter. I would
> > like to write a program in C++ or VB that automatically assigns a
> > drive letter to it. Any ideas or suggestions?

I appreciate the info, but I am looking to do this in a C++ or VB app. Any ideas?