When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external IDE
to USB2 box I get a message saying it would be better to connect it to A
high speed USB2 input. It already is connected to USB2. It works fine, at
speed etc, no problems just this message.

What exactly is the message? I don't think it is possible to write to
DVD using USB 1.1, so it has to be writing at USB 2.0 speed. Perhaps
you just need to update your USB drivers as they seem to be giving back
weird results :/

-----
Nathan McNulty

Fred Pickering wrote:
> When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external IDE
> to USB2 box I get a message saying it would be better to connect it to A
> high speed USB2 input. It already is connected to USB2. It works fine, at
> speed etc, no problems just this message.

Clarified see below

"Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external
> IDE
> to USB2 box I get a message saying it would be better to connect it to A
> high speed USB2 input. It already is connected to USB2. It works fine, at
> speed etc, no problems just this message.

When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external IDE
to USB2 box, XP SP2 gives the following message when I plug the DVD drive
into the USB socket, notwithstanding all the usb connections on this
computer are USB 2 and the latest drivers for every bit of hardware are the
latest. The message says " it would be better to connect this USB device to
a high speed USB2 input click in this bubble to see where etc" When you do
this you see SIS high speed usb hub with 6 vacant items under it.
I have the following USB devices permantly plugged in.
Epson 670 color printer
hp 6200c scanner
USb bridge device (file transfer to another computer)
Now I do not have any operational problems - everything works fine my only
concern is why am I receiving this message?

Assuming there is absolutely no performance problems, I am betting that
the computer is just reading the wrong speed for the device. It could
be because of the USB cable you are using or the chipset (USB) drivers
need to be reinstalled. As long as everything works though, I would
probably just continue to ignore the bubble ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Fred Pickering wrote:
> Clarified see below
>
> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external
>>IDE
>>to USB2 box I get a message saying it would be better to connect it to A
>>high speed USB2 input. It already is connected to USB2. It works fine, at
>>speed etc, no problems just this message.
>

> When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external IDE
> to USB2 box, XP SP2 gives the following message when I plug the DVD drive
> into the USB socket, notwithstanding all the usb connections on this
> computer are USB 2 and the latest drivers for every bit of hardware are the
> latest. The message says " it would be better to connect this USB device to
> a high speed USB2 input click in this bubble to see where etc" When you do
> this you see SIS high speed usb hub with 6 vacant items under it.
> I have the following USB devices permantly plugged in.
> Epson 670 color printer
> hp 6200c scanner
> USb bridge device (file transfer to another computer)
> Now I do not have any operational problems - everything works fine my only
> concern is why am I receiving this message?

Thanks I will change the cable and see what happens....
"Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> Assuming there is absolutely no performance problems, I am betting that
> the computer is just reading the wrong speed for the device. It could be
> because of the USB cable you are using or the chipset (USB) drivers need
> to be reinstalled. As long as everything works though, I would probably
> just continue to ignore the bubble ;)
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Fred Pickering wrote:
>> Clarified see below
>>
>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external
>>>IDE
>>>to USB2 box I get a message saying it would be better to connect it to A
>>>high speed USB2 input. It already is connected to USB2. It works fine, at
>>>speed etc, no problems just this message.
>>

>> When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external
>> IDE
>> to USB2 box, XP SP2 gives the following message when I plug the DVD
>> drive into the USB socket, notwithstanding all the usb connections on
>> this computer are USB 2 and the latest drivers for every bit of hardware
>> are the latest. The message says " it would be better to connect this
>> USB device to a high speed USB2 input click in this bubble to see where
>> etc" When you do this you see SIS high speed usb hub with 6 vacant items
>> under it.
>> I have the following USB devices permantly plugged in.
>> Epson 670 color printer
>> hp 6200c scanner
>> USb bridge device (file transfer to another computer)
>> Now I do not have any operational problems - everything works fine my
>> only concern is why am I receiving this message?

Cable changed - no change....
The box is the Skymaster Metal gear USB 2.0 -5.25" and no drivers were
required for XP SP2. Drivers were supplied on a cd but only for Win98 SE and
ME
Fred
> Thanks I will change the cable and see what happens....
> "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Assuming there is absolutely no performance problems, I am betting that
>> the computer is just reading the wrong speed for the device. It could be
>> because of the USB cable you are using or the chipset (USB) drivers need
>> to be reinstalled. As long as everything works though, I would probably
>> just continue to ignore the bubble ;)
>>
>> -----
>> Nathan McNulty
>>
>> Fred Pickering wrote:
>>> Clarified see below
>>>
>>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> When I connect my LG GSA 4082B DVD writer to my computer via an external
>>> IDE
>>> to USB2 box, XP SP2 gives the following message when I plug the DVD
>>> drive into the USB socket, notwithstanding all the usb connections on
>>> this computer are USB 2 and the latest drivers for every bit of hardware
>>> are the latest. The message says " it would be better to connect this
>>> USB device to a high speed USB2 input click in this bubble to see where
>>> etc" When you do this you see SIS high speed usb hub with 6 vacant items
>>> under it.
>>> I have the following USB devices permantly plugged in.
>>> Epson 670 color printer
>>> hp 6200c scanner
>>> USb bridge device (file transfer to another computer)
>>> Now I do not have any operational problems - everything works fine my
>>> only concern is why am I receiving this message?

Most external casings like this are automatically supported by XP and do
not require drivers. I don't know what else to say, especially since it
appears to be working properly. It may be some minute registry key or
something weird installed that is doing it. Who knows, but if it works,
I would just try my best to ignore it or give in to the temptation of at
least a repair install if not a clean install.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Fred Pickering wrote:
> Cable changed - no change....
> The box is the Skymaster Metal gear USB 2.0 -5.25" and no drivers were
> required for XP SP2. Drivers were supplied on a cd but only for Win98 SE and
> ME
> Fred
> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks I will change the cable and see what happens....
>>"Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Assuming there is absolutely no performance problems, I am betting that
>>>the computer is just reading the wrong speed for the device. It could be
>>>because of the USB cable you are using or the chipset (USB) drivers need
>>>to be reinstalled. As long as everything works though, I would probably
>>>just continue to ignore the bubble ;)
>>>
>>>-----
>>>Nathan McNulty

I plugged in my usb external 160gb hard drive (no error message) and checked
in SiSoft to see what is connected an lo and behold it indicated it was
connected to enhanced usb running at 480. I then unplugged, plugged in the
DVD drive and again no error message and it too was running at 480. When I
connected my Kingmax USB 2 memory unit the same, but when I removed it and
plugged back in the DVD , the error message returned and the indication in
SiSoft was it was a USB device operating at 12. mysterious and mysterious
said tiny Alice!! The chipset in the DVD external case is an Ali 5621. I'm
leaving it in now and using a different port for my external drive and
kingmax. This seems to be a reasonable work around until I can track down
WHY! Many thanks for the assistance