jem

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

I have a Zip 750 internal drive. Normally, when I want to eject it, I press
the button on the drive, the green light flashes, and the disk ejects.
Recently, when I press the button, nothing happens. I can eject the disk by
right clicking on the shortcut I have on my desktop, and choosing 'eject' on
the menu.

I should mention that this happens on two different computers with two
different Zip internal 750 drives, so I don't think it's the drives.

No viruses, spyware, major software installs (besides SP2) or hardware
changes.

TIA

curt

Have you tried disabling or removing the ZIP drive in device manager and
letting Windows reinstall the device? Also, have you contacted Iomega about
this issue?

--
Curt.

"JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
>I have a Zip 750 internal drive. Normally, when I want to eject it, I press
>the button on the drive, the green light flashes, and the disk ejects.
>Recently, when I press the button, nothing happens. I can eject the disk by
>right clicking on the shortcut I have on my desktop, and choosing 'eject'
>on the menu.
>
> I should mention that this happens on two different computers with two
> different Zip internal 750 drives, so I don't think it's the drives.
>
> No viruses, spyware, major software installs (besides SP2) or hardware
> changes.
>
> TIA

jem

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

Not to be argumentative, but it happens on two separate computers with two
separate drives. If it was only one computer and one drive, I agree, the
hardware would be suspect. Just seems strange that both drives stop ejecting
their disks with the eject button right around the same time.

"krishnakanth" <krishnakanth.1f9frl@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> that problem is realted with your hardware, i would recommend you to
> take your drive to your hardware vendor :)
>

> --
> krishnakanth
> krishnakanth's Profile:
> http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2480
> View this thread: http://forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?t=15457
> Tech-Arena - http://www.tech-arena.com

jem

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

Ah ha! Found the answer...

NTFS Formatted Zip disk won't eject
The NTFS format is a fixed disk file system, which locks the disk when it is
mounted (under Windows 2000). This means that once you access an NTFS
formatted Zip disk, the disk will no longer eject using the eject button on
the front of the drive. To eject the disk, you must first close any windows
listing the disk contents, then use the software eject command that is
available when you right mouse click on the drive icon in My Computer or
Windows Explorer.

> Not to be argumentative, but it happens on two separate computers with two
> separate drives. If it was only one computer and one drive, I agree, the
> hardware would be suspect. Just seems strange that both drives stop
> ejecting their disks with the eject button right around the same time.
>

> "krishnakanth" <krishnakanth.1f9frl@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> that problem is realted with your hardware, i would recommend you to
>> take your drive to your hardware vendor :)
>>

>> --
>> krishnakanth
>> krishnakanth's Profile:
>> http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2480
>> View this thread: http://forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?t=15457
>> Tech-Arena - http://www.tech-arena.com

jem

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

Well, I googled and it's a know issue, but nothing on Iomega's site though
about how to fix it. There is a fix in the admin controls for W2K but not
XP. Also, if I format the disks FAT32, they eject normally. So, I'll just
right click and eject disks formatted NTFS.

Thanks

"Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried disabling or removing the ZIP drive in device manager and
> letting Windows reinstall the device? Also, have you contacted Iomega
> about this issue?
>
> --
> Curt.
>

> "JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Zip 750 internal drive. Normally, when I want to eject it, I
>>press the button on the drive, the green light flashes, and the disk
>>ejects. Recently, when I press the button, nothing happens. I can eject
>>the disk by right clicking on the shortcut I have on my desktop, and
>>choosing 'eject' on the menu.
>>
>> I should mention that this happens on two different computers with two
>> different Zip internal 750 drives, so I don't think it's the drives.
>>
>> No viruses, spyware, major software installs (besides SP2) or hardware
>> changes.
>>
>> TIA

curt

Question....why do you format the disks NTFS? I have the 250 drive, so maybe
I'm missing something.

--

> Well, I googled and it's a know issue, but nothing on Iomega's site though
> about how to fix it. There is a fix in the admin controls for W2K but not
> XP. Also, if I format the disks FAT32, they eject normally. So, I'll just
> right click and eject disks formatted NTFS.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried disabling or removing the ZIP drive in device manager and
>> letting Windows reinstall the device? Also, have you contacted Iomega
>> about this issue?
>>
>> --
>> Curt.
>>

>> "JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Zip 750 internal drive. Normally, when I want to eject it, I
>>>press the button on the drive, the green light flashes, and the disk
>>>ejects. Recently, when I press the button, nothing happens. I can eject
>>>the disk by right clicking on the shortcut I have on my desktop, and
>>>choosing 'eject' on the menu.
>>>
>>> I should mention that this happens on two different computers with two
>>> different Zip internal 750 drives, so I don't think it's the drives.
>>>
>>> No viruses, spyware, major software installs (besides SP2) or hardware
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> TIA

Latest posts