How to delete old router which was installed using Windows..

Trying to install new router
Problem.
Old Linksys router keeps coming back each time I reboot. Router was
installed with Windows 98. Now using XP Pro. I've tried to delete thru
Control Panel\add,delete programs. I get the following error message:
0x80040707 and cannot delete. Using the delete key while in Network
Connections or in network adapters works but the old router is there again
after I reboot.
Complication:
The connection information is corrupt. Under Lan or High-Speed Internet
heading is the connection icon and it says:

Local Area Connection 6
Connected
HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

To the right of that is the icon with a red X and it says:
Local Area Connection 7
Network cable unplugged
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

In reality: The Linksys Realtek is connected. The HP is unplugged. The
Linksys is a new model WRT 54 GS not the old RTL8139
..
I am able to connect to the internet with these settings but despite
reassurances from the Linksys tech in India that as long as my IP address is
correct I don't have a problem, I am unwilling to try to add our two other
computers to this network until I have correct information.

I hope someone can help or tell me where to find help. I've been using
computers for over 25 years so I'm reasonably computer literate. ( ie, I'm
good at following good directions. :) )

Hi

There is No need to install any thing on any computer in order to configure
and use a Router.

All recent consumer level Cable/DSL Routers come with an HTML Menu system
that can be log into by using your regular Browser (I.E.). The user Guide
would tell you which IP address to use. You type into the browser address
the appropriate IP address (example: http://192.168.1.1).

If your Computer's Network setting got "messed" up and it is not functioning
any more. Take out (or disable if it is onboard) the NIC, reboot one time to
force Windows to clean the "mess". Re enable (or insert) the NIC, reboot and
reinstall the Network settings.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to install new router
> Problem.
> Old Linksys router keeps coming back each time I reboot. Router was
> installed with Windows 98. Now using XP Pro. I've tried to delete thru
> Control Panel\add,delete programs. I get the following error message:
> 0x80040707 and cannot delete. Using the delete key while in Network
> Connections or in network adapters works but the old router is there again
> after I reboot.
> Complication:
> The connection information is corrupt. Under Lan or High-Speed Internet
> heading is the connection icon and it says:
>
> Local Area Connection 6
> Connected
> HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
>
> To the right of that is the icon with a red X and it says:
> Local Area Connection 7
> Network cable unplugged
> Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
>
> In reality: The Linksys Realtek is connected. The HP is unplugged. The
> Linksys is a new model WRT 54 GS not the old RTL8139
> .
> I am able to connect to the internet with these settings but despite
> reassurances from the Linksys tech in India that as long as my IP address
is
> correct I don't have a problem, I am unwilling to try to add our two other
> computers to this network until I have correct information.
>
> I hope someone can help or tell me where to find help. I've been using
> computers for over 25 years so I'm reasonably computer literate. ( ie, I'm
> good at following good directions. :) )

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Having a similar, but unrelated problem. Went to uninstall Netgear WG311
Wireless PCI Adapter and got 0x80040707 message. Tried using using Windows
Add/Remove and the vendor's own uninstall. Same result.