Migrate xp and data from c: to e: drive; rename drives

Money is kinda tight and am looking for cheapest safest way to make full use
of self installed (already done) 40 gig drive which is now named e: on a
Dell dimension desktop.

c: drive is 7 gig, fat32 file sys, only 600 meg is now free.
e: drive is 40 gig, ntfs file sys, LOTS of free space.
I have program file folders on both drives.
Was shortsighted to not do migration when I put the e: drive in.

Am willing to pay someone to do this for me, but if process is will
documented, am willing to try to do it myself. I am confident of my ability
to follow instructions to the letter.

What say you all? Thanks.

Hello

Best solution just backup your important data and reformat
the drive create 1 partition and re-install your OS and drivers
and then copy your data back over, Of course you will be doing
a clean install of the OS your best option, it is time consuming
but best option

Alvin
alvin1@swbell.net

"switch" c: and e: drives wrote:

> Money is kinda tight and am looking for cheapest safest way to make full use
> of self installed (already done) 40 gig drive which is now named e: on a
> Dell dimension desktop.
>
> c: drive is 7 gig, fat32 file sys, only 600 meg is now free.
> e: drive is 40 gig, ntfs file sys, LOTS of free space.
> I have program file folders on both drives.
> Was shortsighted to not do migration when I put the e: drive in.
>
> Am willing to pay someone to do this for me, but if process is will
> documented, am willing to try to do it myself. I am confident of my ability
> to follow instructions to the letter.
>
> What say you all? Thanks.

dl

Why move the o/s? 7gb is more than enough for the o/s.
Uninstall apps on C: then custom install them to other hd
Move My Docs folder to new hd - just view properties to see how -
This is probably the simplest option, and least likely to go wrong.

"switch c: and e: drives" <"switch" c: and e:
drives@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Money is kinda tight and am looking for cheapest safest way to make full
use
> of self installed (already done) 40 gig drive which is now named e: on a
> Dell dimension desktop.
>
> c: drive is 7 gig, fat32 file sys, only 600 meg is now free.
> e: drive is 40 gig, ntfs file sys, LOTS of free space.
> I have program file folders on both drives.
> Was shortsighted to not do migration when I put the e: drive in.
>
> Am willing to pay someone to do this for me, but if process is will
> documented, am willing to try to do it myself. I am confident of my
ability
> to follow instructions to the letter.
>
> What say you all? Thanks.

""switch" c: and e: drives" <"switch" c: and e:
drives@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Money is kinda tight and am looking for cheapest safest way to make full
> use
> of self installed (already done) 40 gig drive which is now named e: on a
> Dell dimension desktop.
>
> c: drive is 7 gig, fat32 file sys, only 600 meg is now free.
> e: drive is 40 gig, ntfs file sys, LOTS of free space.
> I have program file folders on both drives.
> Was shortsighted to not do migration when I put the e: drive in.
>
> Am willing to pay someone to do this for me, but if process is will
> documented, am willing to try to do it myself. I am confident of my
> ability
> to follow instructions to the letter.
>
> What say you all? Thanks.

Depends on what someone is going to charge you to do it. It's rather easy
using something like Ghost, but if you have to buy the software for one use,
it may not be cost effective. And then it depends on what your time and
frustration is worth. Some people like fiddling with computers and learning
new things, and some people would prefer to just have it done.

Whatever you do, back up the things you couldn't bear to lose, just in case
something goes wrong.