mo

Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as 63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

TIA-

Mo

you need to reseat the HSF...

remove the heatsinkfan, and remove any schmootz thats already there. Clean
it well.
Re-apply a very thin layer of schmootz, and make sure that he HSF is
securely mounted.

Your temps should be in the high 30's, low 40's. 69 isnt dangerous, but it
is much higher than normal.

NuTs

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>
> TIA-
>
> Mo

Ron

You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
> sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
> and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
> flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
> 63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>
> TIA-
>
> Mo

mo

Thanks Nutcracker..

What type of 'smootz' is best .. as I remember, the AMD had a 'tape' ..
assuming the guys who reinstalled my m/board just moved it in one piece, it
still has.

I let the guys in the shop put the replacement m/board together so that the
old m/board went back for warranty!

Is it worth considering a new cooler assembly for the CPU?

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
you need to reseat the HSF...

remove the heatsinkfan, and remove any schmootz thats already there. Clean
it well.
Re-apply a very thin layer of schmootz, and make sure that he HSF is
securely mounted.

Your temps should be in the high 30's, low 40's. 69 isnt dangerous, but it
is much higher than normal.

NuTs

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>
> TIA-
>
> Mo

mo

Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
with the new tech stuff!

I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows the
CPU
temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine is
idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.

Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

"Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
> sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
> and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
> flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
> 63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>
> TIA-
>
> Mo

Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
> with the new tech stuff!
>
> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows the
> CPU
> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine
> is
> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>
> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>

> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>
> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
>> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
>> sink
>> on the machine.
>>
>> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
>> and
>> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
>> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
>> flashing
>> warnings.
>>
>> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
>> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
>> 63C.
>> The ambient was 22C.
>>
>> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
>> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>>
>> TIA-
>>
>> Mo

mo

Hi Guys,

Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b 21C..
CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..

Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
email/NG's and chatting ICQ..

The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.

Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.

For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.

"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
> with the new tech stuff!
>
> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows the
> CPU
> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine
> is
> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>
> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>

> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>
> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
>> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
>> sink
>> on the machine.
>>
>> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
>> and
>> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
>> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
>> flashing
>> warnings.
>>
>> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
>> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
>> 63C.
>> The ambient was 22C.
>>
>> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
>> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>>
>> TIA-
>>
>> Mo

Are you running XP ?

> Hi Guys,
>
> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b 21C..
> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>
> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>
> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>
> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>
> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>

> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Hey Mo,
> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
> my
> neighbours machine.
> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>

> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
>> with the new tech stuff!
>>
>> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
>> the
>> CPU
>> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
>> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine
>> is
>> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>>
>> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
>> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>>

>> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>>
>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
>>> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
>>> sink
>>> on the machine.
>>>
>>> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
>>> and
>>> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with
>>> EasyTune4
>>> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
>>> flashing
>>> warnings.
>>>
>>> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
>>> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
>>> 63C.
>>> The ambient was 22C.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I
>>> certainly
>>> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>>>
>>> TIA-
>>>
>>> Mo

mo

Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b 21C..
> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>
> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>
> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>
> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>
> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>

> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Hey Mo,
> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
> my
> neighbours machine.
> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>

> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
>> with the new tech stuff!
>>
>> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
>> the
>> CPU
>> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
>> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine
>> is
>> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>>
>> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
>> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>>

>> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>>
>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
>>> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
>>> sink
>>> on the machine.
>>>
>>> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
>>> and
>>> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with
>>> EasyTune4
>>> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
>>> flashing
>>> warnings.
>>>
>>> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
>>> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
>>> 63C.
>>> The ambient was 22C.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I
>>> certainly
>>> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
>>>
>>> TIA-
>>>
>>> Mo

When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

> Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...
>

> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Are you running XP ?
>
> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
>> 21C..
>> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>>
>> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
>> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>>
>> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>>
>> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
>> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>>
>> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>>

>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Mo,
>> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
>> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
>> my
>> neighbours machine.
>> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>>

>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
>>> with the new tech stuff!
>>>
>>> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
>>> the
>>> CPU
>>> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
>>> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
>>> Machine
>>> is
>>> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>>>
>>> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
>>> using
>>> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>>>

>>> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>>>
>>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message news:<4089deab$0$16598$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as 63C.
> The ambient was 22C.

My idle 2500+ temperatures on the GA-7N400-L are:

System: 32C
CPU: 59-60C

Using a Zalman Flower CNPS6000-AlCu with its fan in silent mode, and
current ambient temp being 23C. The cooler has been reinstalled with a
different thermal compound with no difference.

The problem is not your cooler or mine. It is the 7N400-L's lack of a
functioning S2K bus disconnect. See my post of 12 April titled "High
idle CPU temperature -- no bus disconnect?" I reported the issue via
Gigabyte's support the following day and have still not received a
reply.

Gazza

mo

Hi RonK..

When I use Ctrl/Alt/Del I get Windows Task Manager up and the only reference
to CPU usage is "performance" .. as I said earlier it shows 0%.. unless I
activate something like dragging the panel across the screen.. other than
that I'm lost!

When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...
>

> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Are you running XP ?
>
> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
>> 21C..
>> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>>
>> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
>> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>>
>> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>>
>> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
>> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>>
>> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>>

>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Mo,
>> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
>> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
>> my
>> neighbours machine.
>> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>>

>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
>>> with the new tech stuff!
>>>
>>> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
>>> the
>>> CPU
>>> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
>>> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
>>> Machine
>>> is
>>> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>>>
>>> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
>>> using
>>> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>>>

>>> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>>>
>>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

mo

Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the wrong
place.. ;-(

"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...
>

> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Are you running XP ?
>
> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
>> 21C..
>> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>>
>> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
>> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>>
>> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>>
>> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
>> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>>
>> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>>

>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Mo,
>> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
>> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
>> my
>> neighbours machine.
>> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>>

>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
>>> with the new tech stuff!
>>>
>>> I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
>>> the
>>> CPU
>>> temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
>>> Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
>>> Machine
>>> is
>>> idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
>>>
>>> Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
>>> using
>>> the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
>>>

>>> "Ron" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.
>>>
>>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
at.
Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

> Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the
> wrong
> place.. ;-(
>
> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
> around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?
>

> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...
>>

>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Are you running XP ?
>>
>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
>>> 21C..
>>> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>>>
>>> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
>>> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>>>
>>> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>>>
>>> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to
>>> see
>>> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>>>
>>> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>>>

>>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey Mo,
>>> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought
>>> that
>>> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
>>> my
>>> neighbours machine.
>>> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>>>

>>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

mo

I have checked the PSU fan (a dual fan 450W unit I had to go to to run the
machine) and an 80mm fan on the rear.. all are blowing the same direction
and the airways are as clear as they can be. There is air access through the
front of the cabinet. I also have two HDD drawers with minifans fitted.

I am going out for a couple of hours or so shortly so will leave the machine
running with the side cover off.

It seems that the supplied AMD cooling isn't sufficient. Am wondering if the
fins on the heatsink might be clogged, there are very fine air gaps.

I'm thinking of a replacement when the shops open on Tuesday.

At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
at.
Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the
> wrong
> place.. ;-(
>
> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
> around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?
>

> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>> Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...
>>

>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Are you running XP ?
>>
>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
>>> 21C..
>>> CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
>>>
>>> Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
>>> email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
>>>
>>> The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
>>>
>>> Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to
>>> see
>>> the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
>>>
>>> For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
>>>

>>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey Mo,
>>> Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought
>>> that
>>> there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
>>> my
>>> neighbours machine.
>>> In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
>>>

>>> "Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
seen gives an average CPU temp of around
54-58º

I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.

mo

Thanks for the input Heckler,

4:04am here, the temp is now around 57C.. was steady around that yesterday
with a side panel off or on.

I have at times wondered how AMD managed to use the same cooler for hot and
cold climates! I surfed checking replacement fans a couple of evenings ago..
saw those you mentioned and am heading for the shop who did the board swap
on Tuesday.. ...ANZAC holiday here on Monday! Got to curse them for not
replacing heat sink tape damaged when they changed the board .. and they
have a stock of fan/coolers.

"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
> GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
> on the machine.
>
> I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board
and
> read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
> and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
> warnings.
>
> I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
> shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
> The ambient was 22C.
>
> Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
> don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
seen gives an average CPU temp of around
54-58º

I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.

GA-7N400 PRO2

XP 2500+

CPU Temp 60-64 degrees C

Also tried Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 which is sitting at 58 degrees C

Tried three different heatsinks and fans to with no success.

Anyone else having temperature problems with this board?

Never had temps like this on my old Epox 8kta3+ board with the Athlon 1.2.

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar situation with the
GA-7VT600-L-A. Couldn't get the temperature readings to come down at all,
but never experienced any problems either.

I installed the <vcool> CPU cooler software and one of its features is a CPU
& ambient temperature icon on the taskbar. The CPU temperature reads more
"normal", like 41 degrees C.

I've been running the 7VT600 for a month and have had no problems suggesting
high CPU temperature. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the built-in
temperature monitor in the BIOS setup.

Lee

"Stuart Cowan" <stuart.cowan@lineone.net> wrote in message
> GA-7N400 PRO2
>
> XP 2500+
>
> CPU Temp 60-64 degrees C
>
> Also tried Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 which is sitting at 58 degrees C
>
> Tried three different heatsinks and fans to with no success.
>
> Anyone else having temperature problems with this board?
>
> Never had temps like this on my old Epox 8kta3+ board with the Athlon 1.2.

mo

I have to query that accuracy when I see a board/aux temps 10+ degrees over
ambient when I check seconds after start up. I mentioned/questioned that in
one of my earl posts.

Unfortunately I can't remember what readings I got on my old GA-7N400-L1
board. Although that board had a faulty bios from the day I set it up.

"Mo" <nospam@notobeseen.com> wrote in message news:<408d9af8$0$4321$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> I have to query that accuracy when I see a board/aux temps 10+ degrees over
> ambient when I check seconds after start up. I mentioned/questioned that in
> one of my earl posts.
>
> Unfortunately I can't remember what readings I got on my old GA-7N400-L1
> board. Although that board had a faulty bios from the day I set it up.

The 50-60C idle CPU temp has nothing to do with the accuracy of the
sensors (not to say that motherboard sensors are particularly
accurate, but that applies across the board). Again, it's the lack of
bus disconnect feature that allows your Athlon to run hot on the
GA-7N400-L.

Incidentally, I finally received a reply from Gigabyte today:

"About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, in fact, we found
bus disconnect feature, the system/CPU will not work properly. Thus,
our engineer design a special feature is called "CPU Thermal
throttling" and it is very similar to BUS DISCONNECT feature. When
CPU"s temperature is higher than the value of "CPU Warning Tempture"
setting, the option will decrease the CPU speed as the percentage you
set in BIOS automatically."

This doesn't even sound like a replacement for bus disconnect, but I
thought I'd fiddle with it anyway. To begin with, the "CPU Thermal
Throttling" setting doesn't even appear in the BIOS settings, but
after searching the web I found that I could expose this and other
"hidden" settings using CTRL-F1 from the main BIOS screen.

Setting the "CPU Warning Tempture" temp to 60C resulted in instant
beeping after reboot, since my idle CPU temp is currently over 60. The
"CPU Thermal Throttling" did nothing to reduce this. But setting CPU
Warning Tempture to 70C did expose the feature's usefulness. When I
ran burnk7 after a reboot, the CPU hit 70C then repeatedly bounced
between 68-71C. Normally, burnk7 would push it to 80C with my
heatsink's fan in silent mode.

But it's not even "throttling" the CPU in terms of voltage or clock
speed. What it seems to be doing is simply dropping cycles to reduce
the load burnk7 was putting on the CPU.

And unlike bus disconnect, the feature does absolutely nothing about
the unecessarily wasted power/heat when the CPU is idle or only
partially utilised.

Lee mentioned Vcool. I've had success with Durons on older, VIA-based
motherboards, but the effect of the Vcool (beta or alpha, with "cool
bit" selected or not) on the nForce2-nased 7N400-L with my 2500+ is
negligible.

There is a list of boards that do support bus disconnect in the BIOS
(no need for Vcool) at
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9326

Gazza