'Disk Detector' by the Sound Card does not work

I have tried just about everything except changing BIOS settings in my PC,
but still I cannot make the Creative PCI128 sound card in my PC detect the
'Disk Detector' functions. I have dual boot, and running Windows 98SE
and Windows XP Pro in the same PC. Everything works when I boot on
Win98SE. But the sound card is not detected under Windows XP Pro,
even before/after loading the SP2 update.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Your post is not very easy to understand...I do not own a Soundblaster
PCI128.
I would assume from your post that you are trying to load the same drivers
under WinXP that you loaded under Win98. You cannot use the same drivers.
You must use drivers for Windows XP. You should check the SB website and
get the latest drivers. If the card is not detected under WinXP but *IS*
detected under Windows 98, then you either have an IRAQ conflict which
denies access to the card, or your installation of Windows XP is hosed.
Have you tried "Detect New Hardware"?

Bobby

"Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried just about everything except changing BIOS settings in my PC,
> but still I cannot make the Creative PCI128 sound card in my PC detect the
> 'Disk Detector' functions. I have dual boot, and running Windows 98SE
> and Windows XP Pro in the same PC. Everything works when I boot on
> Win98SE. But the sound card is not detected under Windows XP Pro,
> even before/after loading the SP2 update.
>
> Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

I have a home network with two user PCs and a home Server. Following is their setup.
1) Server has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
2) PC#1 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
3) PC#2 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK only in Win98SE system.

All three PCs are made up with the same motherboard and remaining plugin equipment.
BIOS setup is same in all three PCs. I have even replaced the sound card in PC#2 with
a same spare card. Still it does not show the 'Disk Detector' icon on the Start Bar.
The sound card installation CD says it is for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/Me/XP Setup.

What is frustrating, is the 'Disk Detector' icon shows up on both Win98SE and WinXp Pro
on Server and PC#1, but on PC#2 the same 'Disk Detector' showsup only on the Win98SE mode.

Okie Noah

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message news:OFmLhF9wEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Your post is not very easy to understand...I do not own a Soundblaster
| PCI128.
| I would assume from your post that you are trying to load the same drivers
| under WinXP that you loaded under Win98. You cannot use the same drivers.
| You must use drivers for Windows XP. You should check the SB website and
| get the latest drivers. If the card is not detected under WinXP but *IS*
| detected under Windows 98, then you either have an IRAQ conflict which
| denies access to the card, or your installation of Windows XP is hosed.
| Have you tried "Detect New Hardware"?
|
| Bobby
|

| "Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >I have tried just about everything except changing BIOS settings in my PC,
| > but still I cannot make the Creative PCI128 sound card in my PC detect the
| > 'Disk Detector' functions. I have dual boot, and running Windows 98SE
| > and Windows XP Pro in the same PC. Everything works when I boot on
| > Win98SE. But the sound card is not detected under Windows XP Pro,
| > even before/after loading the SP2 update.
| >
| > Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Try the pci card in another slot. (ie different IRQ) Some slots share IRQ's
with other slots, check your manual.

P.S. What do you mean by "Disk Detector" and "Start Bar"????

r.

>I have a home network with two user PCs and a home Server. Following is
>their setup.
> 1) Server has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
> PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
> 2) PC#1 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
> PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
> 3) PC#2 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
> PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK only in Win98SE system.
>
> All three PCs are made up with the same motherboard and remaining plugin
> equipment.
> BIOS setup is same in all three PCs. I have even replaced the sound card
> in PC#2 with
> a same spare card. Still it does not show the 'Disk Detector' icon on the
> Start Bar.
> The sound card installation CD says it is for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/Me/XP
> Setup.
>
> What is frustrating, is the 'Disk Detector' icon shows up on both Win98SE
> and WinXp Pro
> on Server and PC#1, but on PC#2 the same 'Disk Detector' showsup only on
> the Win98SE mode.
>
> Okie Noah
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> | Your post is not very easy to understand...I do not own a Soundblaster
> | PCI128.
> | I would assume from your post that you are trying to load the same
> drivers
> | under WinXP that you loaded under Win98. You cannot use the same
> drivers.
> | You must use drivers for Windows XP. You should check the SB website
> and
> | get the latest drivers. If the card is not detected under WinXP but
> *IS*
> | detected under Windows 98, then you either have an IRAQ conflict which
> | denies access to the card, or your installation of Windows XP is hosed.
> | Have you tried "Detect New Hardware"?
> |
> | Bobby
> |

> | "Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | >I have tried just about everything except changing BIOS settings in my
> PC,
> | > but still I cannot make the Creative PCI128 sound card in my PC detect
> the
> | > 'Disk Detector' functions. I have dual boot, and running Windows
> 98SE
> | > and Windows XP Pro in the same PC. Everything works when I boot on
> | > Win98SE. But the sound card is not detected under Windows XP Pro,
> | > even before/after loading the SP2 update.
> | >
> | > Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

I have already tried your suggestion and plugged in the sound
card in different slots. That didn't work. I have sent an e-mail to
Creative Technology, who created the sound card.
Haven't heard anything from them yet.

(("Start Bar" is the 'Task Bar' on your screen,
and "Disk Detector" is the Icon that shows up on the Task Bar))

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message news:uL4j7TPxEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Try the pci card in another slot. (ie different IRQ) Some slots share IRQ's
| with other slots, check your manual.
|
| P.S. What do you mean by "Disk Detector" and "Start Bar"????
|
| r.
|

| "Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >I have a home network with two user PCs and a home Server. Following is
| >their setup.
| > 1) Server has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
| > PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
| > 2) PC#1 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
| > PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK in both op systems.
| > 3) PC#2 has dual booting system for Win98SE & WinXP Pro, and uses
| > PCI128 sound card. The sound card works OK only in Win98SE system.
| >
| > All three PCs are made up with the same motherboard and remaining plugin
| > equipment.
| > BIOS setup is same in all three PCs. I have even replaced the sound card
| > in PC#2 with
| > a same spare card. Still it does not show the 'Disk Detector' icon on the
| > Start Bar.
| > The sound card installation CD says it is for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/Me/XP
| > Setup.
| >
| > What is frustrating, is the 'Disk Detector' icon shows up on both Win98SE
| > and WinXp Pro
| > on Server and PC#1, but on PC#2 the same 'Disk Detector' showsup only on
| > the Win98SE mode.
| >
| > Okie Noah
| >

| > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
| > | Your post is not very easy to understand...I do not own a Soundblaster
| > | PCI128.
| > | I would assume from your post that you are trying to load the same
| > drivers
| > | under WinXP that you loaded under Win98. You cannot use the same
| > drivers.
| > | You must use drivers for Windows XP. You should check the SB website
| > and
| > | get the latest drivers. If the card is not detected under WinXP but
| > *IS*
| > | detected under Windows 98, then you either have an IRAQ conflict which
| > | denies access to the card, or your installation of Windows XP is hosed.
| > | Have you tried "Detect New Hardware"?
| > |
| > | Bobby
| > |