an old & cheap cd-rom recently went out in one of my machines. i have a few
extra ones so i was going to put one of them in. i have tried 2 different
ones, and both times windows wont install drivers. they are pretty generic
cd-roms so it shouldn't be that complicated. windows should just recognize
them and install right?

the drive is marked with an exclamation point in the device manager and it
has this erorr message in the status window:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"

it did that same thing for both drives and i cannot find drivers on the net
that work either. any suggestions/help?

Sandman

Windows XP? Of course... Yup, Xp should jus recognize them, but maybe you
replaced,( by your definition) , an old cheap cd-rom with another old and
cheap cd-rom...Go for a cd burner; they cost about 50 bux and they also
record and go alot faster than your old cd-roms.
"leend" <leend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> an old & cheap cd-rom recently went out in one of my machines. i have a
few
> extra ones so i was going to put one of them in. i have tried 2 different
> ones, and both times windows wont install drivers. they are pretty generic
> cd-roms so it shouldn't be that complicated. windows should just recognize
> them and install right?
>
> the drive is marked with an exclamation point in the device manager and it
> has this erorr message in the status window:
>
> "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
be
> corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"
>
> it did that same thing for both drives and i cannot find drivers on the
net
> that work either. any suggestions/help?

one of the 2 that i tried to put in was a cd burner.

just to mention that i've been all over the net trying to find any kind of
driver that will work, and have found none.

i also did the "update drivers" manually thing and tried a few different
ones, none worked. all have the same errors.

"Sandman" wrote:

> Windows XP? Of course... Yup, Xp should jus recognize them, but maybe you
> replaced,( by your definition) , an old cheap cd-rom with another old and
> cheap cd-rom...Go for a cd burner; they cost about 50 bux and they also
> record and go alot faster than your old cd-roms.
> "leend" <leend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > an old & cheap cd-rom recently went out in one of my machines. i have a
> few
> > extra ones so i was going to put one of them in. i have tried 2 different
> > ones, and both times windows wont install drivers. they are pretty generic
> > cd-roms so it shouldn't be that complicated. windows should just recognize
> > them and install right?
> >
> > the drive is marked with an exclamation point in the device manager and it
> > has this erorr message in the status window:
> >
> > "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
> be
> > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
> >
> > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"
> >
> > it did that same thing for both drives and i cannot find drivers on the
> net
> > that work either. any suggestions/help?

Check this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

"CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP"

(There are other ways to get the bad registry keys than doing an upgrade
installation of XP. Roxio Easy CD Creator seems to usually be involved.)

If you don't care to manually remove the Registry keys, there are automated
utilities that can do it:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

A warning: once, I updated Easy CD Creator on my work system. (It's running
Win2k, but that can exhibit similar problems.) Simply removing the
"upperfilters" and "lowerfilters" wasn't adequate - I had to uninstall Easy
CD Creator, and then manually eliminate a lot of Registry keys, to restore
the machine to a pre-Roxio condition. I was then able to install a newer
version of ECDC (which is standard on the Dell systems at my employer), and
everything was serene again.

HTH.

> one of the 2 that i tried to put in was a cd burner.
>
> just to mention that i've been all over the net trying to find any kind of
> driver that will work, and have found none.
>
> i also did the "update drivers" manually thing and tried a few different
> ones, none worked. all have the same errors.
>
> "Sandman" wrote:
>
>> Windows XP? Of course... Yup, Xp should jus recognize them, but maybe you
>> replaced,( by your definition) , an old cheap cd-rom with another old and
>> cheap cd-rom...Go for a cd burner; they cost about 50 bux and they also
>> record and go alot faster than your old cd-roms.
>> "leend" <leend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > an old & cheap cd-rom recently went out in one of my machines. i have a
>> few
>> > extra ones so i was going to put one of them in. i have tried 2
>> > different
>> > ones, and both times windows wont install drivers. they are pretty
>> > generic
>> > cd-roms so it shouldn't be that complicated. windows should just
>> > recognize
>> > them and install right?
>> >
>> > the drive is marked with an exclamation point in the device manager and
>> > it
>> > has this erorr message in the status window:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver
>> > may
>> be
>> > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>> >
>> > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"
>> >
>> > it did that same thing for both drives and i cannot find drivers on the
>> net
>> > that work either. any suggestions/help?

thank you!!!! that article did it. removing the upper & lower filters. i dont
know what doing that did, but it sure solved my problem.

thanks a million again!

"Bob Knowlden" wrote:

> Check this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> "CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
> Windows XP"
>
> (There are other ways to get the bad registry keys than doing an upgrade
> installation of XP. Roxio Easy CD Creator seems to usually be involved.)
>
> If you don't care to manually remove the Registry keys, there are automated
> utilities that can do it:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
>
> A warning: once, I updated Easy CD Creator on my work system. (It's running
> Win2k, but that can exhibit similar problems.) Simply removing the
> "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters" wasn't adequate - I had to uninstall Easy
> CD Creator, and then manually eliminate a lot of Registry keys, to restore
> the machine to a pre-Roxio condition. I was then able to install a newer
> version of ECDC (which is standard on the Dell systems at my employer), and
> everything was serene again.
>
> HTH.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Less than 25.....
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-941&depa=1>

"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| Windows XP? Of course... Yup, Xp should jus recognize them, but maybe
you
| replaced,( by your definition) , an old cheap cd-rom with another old
and
| cheap cd-rom...Go for a cd burner; they cost about 50 bux and they also
| record and go alot faster than your old cd-roms.
| "leend" <leend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > an old & cheap cd-rom recently went out in one of my machines. i have
| few
| > extra ones so i was going to put one of them in. i have tried 2
different
| > ones, and both times windows wont install drivers. they are pretty
generic
| > cd-roms so it shouldn't be that complicated. windows should just
recognize
| > them and install right?
| >
| > the drive is marked with an exclamation point in the device manager
and it
| > has this erorr message in the status window:
| >
| > "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver
may
| be
| > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
| >
| > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"
| >
| > it did that same thing for both drives and i cannot find drivers on
the
| net
| > that work either. any suggestions/help?

Can you please tell me a bit more about what this does? I have a somewhat
similar problem since I installed SP2. I can't seem to properly load any
drivers for hardware that windows should recognize. If I install something
that has it's own drivers I'm fine. If I install a DVD writer or new hard
drive, the device actually works, but it never finds a driver and doesn't
show up right in device manager. Every time I reboot it looks for a new
driver. Should this solve my problem for the DVD drive? And where should I
look for HD?

Thanks!