Notebook HDD problem

Lately while trying to start up I got the message that XP could not find
my product key (I've worked with this HD 60Gb and my XPPro for more than
a year and done regularily Windows Updates). Funny that I still could
login in safe mode which also wasn't possible after 2 times. The HD was
partitioned in C,E,H and K. The XP being on the C partition. I was
planning to put another XPPro on the HD and because H and K where to
small to put a second XPPro on them, I tried to join them together with
a boot tool from Partition Magic that could do the job from a discette.
While this job was being performed I got some message about
"crossreferenced files", I tried the repair and/or fix utility no good.
I pulled the HD out of the notebook and left it for some weeks (well
protected). Meanwhile I installed a new XP Pro on another 20Gb HD, and
just recently bought a 2,5" HD external USB 2.0 case, the purpous was
to retrieve data from the 60Gb HD. Now my operating system does not
"see" this drive, in fact it doesn't see any partitions whatsoever
although it sees that there is a FujitsuMHS60Gb under the "Hardware".
Any solutions ??

--
Guydpb
1 answer Last reply

    It may be as simple as needing to assign a drive letter to the hard
    drive. Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management
    and see if you can do anything from there.

    You may also need to update your chipset (USB/Motherboard) drivers and
    update Windows XP to at least Service Pack 1 in order to get USB 2.0
    working properly. Once you have gotten your computer to recognize the
    hard drive and view its partitions, you may need to do this to see some
    of your old files:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823306

    -----
    Nathan McNulty
    Swap gmail with name for email :)

    Guydpb wrote:
    > Lately while trying to start up I got the message that XP could not find
    > my product key (I've worked with this HD 60Gb and my XPPro for more than
    > a year and done regularily Windows Updates). Funny that I still could
    > login in safe mode which also wasn't possible after 2 times. The HD was
    > partitioned in C,E,H and K. The XP being on the C partition. I was
    > planning to put another XPPro on the HD and because H and K where to
    > small to put a second XPPro on them, I tried to join them together with
    > a boot tool from Partition Magic that could do the job from a discette.
    > While this job was being performed I got some message about
    > "crossreferenced files", I tried the repair and/or fix utility no good.
    > I pulled the HD out of the notebook and left it for some weeks (well
    > protected). Meanwhile I installed a new XP Pro on another 20Gb HD, and
    > just recently bought a 2,5" HD external USB 2.0 case, the purpous was
    > to retrieve data from the 60Gb HD. Now my operating system does not
    > "see" this drive, in fact it doesn't see any partitions whatsoever
    > although it sees that there is a FujitsuMHS60Gb under the "Hardware".
    > Any solutions ??

Hard Drives HD Windows XP