can not uninstall hardware in safe mode

November 7, 2004 2:32:01 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem in Windows XP Pro and if there
is a work around for it. I installed a DLink PCI Wireless card and had some
system conflicts I removed the card to install a different one. I can not
remove the hardware even in safe mode. I get the error can not uninstall
this hardware may be necessary for the computer to boot.
November 7, 2004 3:53:01 AM

You should try removing the card whilst the power is off, then boot up in
normal mode, go to device manager and remove the device.

Make sure that the conflicting device is also removed, both physically and
in device manager.

If there is any associated software, make sure you uninstall the software.

If the 'removal' is successful, you can restart the PC. Check that all the
D Link items are still uninstalled / removed and then power off and reinstall
the other devices.

"JeffH" wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has had this problem in Windows XP Pro and if there
> is a work around for it. I installed a DLink PCI Wireless card and had some
> system conflicts I removed the card to install a different one. I can not
> remove the hardware even in safe mode. I get the error can not uninstall
> this hardware may be necessary for the computer to boot.
November 7, 2004 9:17:02 AM

Hi,

Boot into BIOS and click the Boot tab.
Make sure the device in question is disabled for boot.
Save and exit BIOS setup.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"JeffH" wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has had this problem in Windows XP Pro and if there
> is a work around for it. I installed a DLink PCI Wireless card and had some
> system conflicts I removed the card to install a different one. I can not
> remove the hardware even in safe mode. I get the error can not uninstall
> this hardware may be necessary for the computer to boot.
November 10, 2004 4:34:05 AM

That is my problem. The device has been removed but I can not get it out of
the device manager. I am getting the error every time I try to uninstall it.
can not uninstall this hardware it may be necessary for the computer to boot.

"BAR" wrote:

> You should try removing the card whilst the power is off, then boot up in
> normal mode, go to device manager and remove the device.
>
> Make sure that the conflicting device is also removed, both physically and
> in device manager.
>
> If there is any associated software, make sure you uninstall the software.
>
> If the 'removal' is successful, you can restart the PC. Check that all the
> D Link items are still uninstalled / removed and then power off and reinstall
> the other devices.
>
> "JeffH" wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if anyone has had this problem in Windows XP Pro and if there
> > is a work around for it. I installed a DLink PCI Wireless card and had some
> > system conflicts I removed the card to install a different one. I can not
> > remove the hardware even in safe mode. I get the error can not uninstall
> > this hardware may be necessary for the computer to boot.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:36:02 AM

The hardware I removed was not part of the motherboard. It was a PCI card.
There are no settings in the bios related to it. I also made sure that all
the software related to the device was uninstalled. My next option is to
manually delete the driver file.

!