DVD-RW does not appear in XP to write CDs

November 7, 2004 9:42:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

I have a Sony DVD-RW that correctly appears in the hardware
configuration as a Sony DVD-RW DRU-500A. The problem is that I cannot
get WinXP to see the drive as also capable of burning CDs. For
example, I would like to right click on a file and have the option to
"Write these files to CD".

Will XP not allow you to burn CDs with your DVD burner?

Thanks,
Tom

More about : dvd write cds

November 7, 2004 10:42:01 AM

Hi,

No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.

Peter

"Tom Rossi" wrote:

> I have a Sony DVD-RW that correctly appears in the hardware
> configuration as a Sony DVD-RW DRU-500A. The problem is that I cannot
> get WinXP to see the drive as also capable of burning CDs. For
> example, I would like to right click on a file and have the option to
> "Write these files to CD".
>
> Will XP not allow you to burn CDs with your DVD burner?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:43:08 PM

Peter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
> e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.
>
> Peter

What? Did you read the question? the OP wants to burn CDs. I have a Sony
DRU510A and it burns CDs without a problem using XP's burning engine.
The OP should check the drive properties and see if burning has been
enabled. My Computer, right-click on the drive, select Properties and
open the Recording tab. "Enable CD recording on this drive" should be
checked.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:21:11 AM

Phil McCracken <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message news:<10osk4rrsc1t1ae@corp.supernews.com>...
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
> > e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> What? Did you read the question? the OP wants to burn CDs. I have a Sony
> DRU510A and it burns CDs without a problem using XP's burning engine.
> The OP should check the drive properties and see if burning has been
> enabled. My Computer, right-click on the drive, select Properties and
> open the Recording tab. "Enable CD recording on this drive" should be
> checked.

That was it! I can't believe I didn't see that already. Thanks!

--Tom
!