I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not sure
what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the M/board.
Can some assist?
--
JAW

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Your question is totally off topic, this is an XP newsgroup, but if you were
to clue us into what DVD writer you bought, someone may be able to help.

JAX

"Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
<SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not sure
> what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
> thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
> M/board.
> Can some assist?
> --
> JAW

a) If you have a built in sound system in your motherboard, then you should see
two 4 pin plugs (sometime one is black and one is white) pretty close to the
plug for the sound speakers in the motherboard. Use the black one...
(There may be a green 4 pin plug available, but that is for the modem).
Finally, all of this depends on who is the motherboard manufacturer.

b) If you have a sound card plugged in on your motherboard, and you are
using the card, then you can plug the sound cable to it. Sometime the plugs
are marked as 'CD-IN' or 'Aus-In' etc.

Please check with your local PC technician.

P.S. Do not touch the motherboard, or any plug-in parts unless you are
taking precaution for static electricity discharging !!!

"Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me"" <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not sure
| what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
| thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the M/board.
| Can some assist?
| --
| JAW

Sandman

....and that thin little sound card wire is not necessary if you have a
fairly new mobo and are running WIndows XP.....
"Senior.... It's All Foreign To Me"
<SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not
sure
> what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
> thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
M/board.
> Can some assist?
> --
> JAW

Sounds to me like you have an ATA motherboard but bought a SATA DVD
ReWriter. Maybe you can return the DVD ReWriter and change it for one with
an ATA interface?

Or failing that maybe you could buy an ATA to SATA adaptor and connect your
DVD ReWriter that way even though this would add considerably to the cost.
But you better obtain additional advice as, not having had the experience, I
am not absolutely sure this would work.
--
choro-nik
********
"Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
<SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not sure
> what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
> thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
> M/board.
> Can some assist?
> --
> JAW

ur are correct, I have an ATA motherboard and I purchased an E-IDE/ATAPI
DVD+-R/RW CD-R/RW Writer

"choro-nik" wrote:

> Sounds to me like you have an ATA motherboard but bought a SATA DVD
> ReWriter. Maybe you can return the DVD ReWriter and change it for one with
> an ATA interface?
>
> Or failing that maybe you could buy an ATA to SATA adaptor and connect your
> DVD ReWriter that way even though this would add considerably to the cost.
> But you better obtain additional advice as, not having had the experience, I
> am not absolutely sure this would work.
> --
> choro-nik
> ********
> "Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
> <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not sure
> > what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the extra
> > thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
> > M/board.
> > Can some assist?
> > --
> > JAW

E-IDE connects directly to regular IDE cables.. ensure that the jumper is
set correctly..

> ur are correct, I have an ATA motherboard and I purchased an E-IDE/ATAPI
> DVD+-R/RW CD-R/RW Writer
>
> "choro-nik" wrote:
>
>> Sounds to me like you have an ATA motherboard but bought a SATA DVD
>> ReWriter. Maybe you can return the DVD ReWriter and change it for one
>> with
>> an ATA interface?
>>
>> Or failing that maybe you could buy an ATA to SATA adaptor and connect
>> your
>> DVD ReWriter that way even though this would add considerably to the
>> cost.
>> But you better obtain additional advice as, not having had the
>> experience, I
>> am not absolutely sure this would work.
>> --
>> choro-nik
>> ********
>> "Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
>> <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not
>> >sure
>> > what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the
>> > extra
>> > thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
>> > M/board.
>> > Can some assist?
>> > --
>> > JAW

Sandman

Are you sure?... It sez windowsxp.hardware on my news heading(?)
"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> Your question is totally off topic, this is an XP newsgroup, but if you
were
> to clue us into what DVD writer you bought, someone may be able to help.
>
> JAX
>
> "Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
> <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not
sure
> > what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the
extra
> > thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
> > M/board.
> > Can some assist?
> > --
> > JAW

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

That is not an XP related question. If the hardware was installed and then
there was an internal XP software issue, it would be a legitimate XP
question.

BTW, the wire the OP refers to is probably on to run to the sound card and
is probably not necessary if the PCI bus is not an antique.

JAX

"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Are you sure?... It sez windowsxp.hardware on my news heading(?)
> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>> Your question is totally off topic, this is an XP newsgroup, but if you
> were
>> to clue us into what DVD writer you bought, someone may be able to help.
>>
>> JAX
>>
>> "Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
>> <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I purchased a DVD RW yesterday, I am trying to install it but I am not
> sure
>> > what prong/IDE device (wire) it suppose to connect to. Addt'ly the
> extra
>> > thin wire that came in the pkg has no place to be plugged onto the
>> > M/board.
>> > Can some assist?
>> > --
>> > JAW

It may not be related to XP in the true sense, but that is his operating
system, he has a hardware issue, and needs help..

> That is not an XP related question. If the hardware was installed and then
> there was an internal XP software issue, it would be a legitimate XP
> question.
>
> BTW, the wire the OP refers to is probably on to run to the sound card and
> is probably not necessary if the PCI bus is not an antique.
>
> JAX
>
> "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Are you sure?... It sez windowsxp.hardware on my news heading(?)
>> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
>>> Your question is totally off topic, this is an XP newsgroup, but if you
>> were
>>> to clue us into what DVD writer you bought, someone may be able to help.
>>>
>>> JAX
>>>
>>> "Senior.... "It's All Foreign To Me""
>>> <SeniorItsAllForeignToMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> sure
>> extra

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Mike,

If you were to read the thread, my original comment was, "Your question is