Can't access Laptop Hard Drive from Desktop

My Laptop motherboard died and I want to copy some files over to my new
Desktop but when the Laptop Hard Drive is connected to my new Desktop, there
are some files that I can't access. Mainly in "\Documents and
Settings>'user'"

I guess they are the files that were not in the "Shared" folder. How can I
get to all of my information/programs/ etc. ?
Both are/were Win XP Home Edition.
Anyone know how to access these files?

Thanks.
Doug Freeze
================================

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:48:17 -0800, "DougFreeze.com"
<lists@wirelis.com> wrote:

>My Laptop motherboard died and I want to copy some files over to my new
>Desktop but when the Laptop Hard Drive is connected to my new Desktop, there
>are some files that I can't access. Mainly in "\Documents and
>Settings>'user'"

Max confusion here. Please explain. Did you install the drive into
your desktop or did you use your unusable laptop thru a LANs?

What is your Operating System on your laptop.

Then it's probably to get thru your share problem.

>I guess they are the files that were not in the "Shared" folder. How can I
>get to all of my information/programs/ etc. ?
>Both are/were Win XP Home Edition.
>Anyone know how to access these files?
>
>Thanks.
>Doug Freeze
>================================

Thanks for helping.
I took the drive out of the broken Laptop and plugged it into an external
disk drive case thing that you can carry to a friends house and connect
through any USB port. Hmmm which makes me think, maybe I need to install it
IN my computer as a slave drive instead of going through the USB external
thing.
The Laptop was a win XP Home Edition as is the Desktop.

Doug Freeze
================================

"techno" <out.there@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:48:17 -0800, "DougFreeze.com"
> <lists@wirelis.com> wrote:
>
>>My Laptop motherboard died and I want to copy some files over to my new
>>Desktop but when the Laptop Hard Drive is connected to my new Desktop,
>>there
>>are some files that I can't access. Mainly in "\Documents and
>>Settings>'user'"
>
> Max confusion here. Please explain. Did you install the drive into
> your desktop or did you use your unusable laptop thru a LANs?
>
> What is your Operating System on your laptop.
>
> Then it's probably to get thru your share problem.
>

>>I guess they are the files that were not in the "Shared" folder. How can I
>>get to all of my information/programs/ etc. ?
>>Both are/were Win XP Home Edition.
>>Anyone know how to access these files?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Doug Freeze
>>================================

You need to take ownership of those folders:

Tumppi
Reply to group
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)

"DougFreeze.com" <lists@wirelis.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> My Laptop motherboard died and I want to copy some files over to my new
> Desktop but when the Laptop Hard Drive is connected to my new Desktop,
there
> are some files that I can't access. Mainly in "\Documents and
> Settings>'user'"
>
> I guess they are the files that were not in the "Shared" folder. How can I
> get to all of my information/programs/ etc. ?
> Both are/were Win XP Home Edition.
> Anyone know how to access these files?
>
> Thanks.
> Doug Freeze
> ================================

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:55:38 -0800, "DougFreeze.com"
<lists@wirelis.com> wrote:

>Thanks for helping.
>I took the drive out of the broken Laptop and plugged it into an external
>disk drive case thing that you can carry to a friends house and connect
>through any USB port.

Oops, hadn't thought about that option.

I've never done that, but let's try something that applies to LANs and
sharing. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to your USB drive, then
right-click, select "Sharing and Security", then click "sharing", then
click "Share this folder on the network" checkbox. Have no idea if
this will work, but since a USB drive is kind of like a LANs drive it
might work. I'd like to hear if this allowed access to the drive or
folder(s) selected.