New SATA Drive - Bootup Keeps "finding new hardware"

Even though the drive is now installed and is storing data OK, every boot-up
tells me the system has found new hardware and wants to install the software
for it.

My biggest problem is probably I should have read these posts rather than
the instructions that came with the Maxtor drive! This was my first SATA
install.

I installed 250GByte Maxtor SATA drive as a 3rd drive on my P4C800-E
motherboard in one of the non-RAID SATA ports. The MB found the drive in BIOS
just fine. I tried to run the MaxBlast and that's when things started going
wrong. I finally did get windows to recognize and format the drive when I
went to Windows disk manager (XP Pro SP2).

Even though it appears to be working fine, each time I reboot I'm stuck
cancelling out of "found new hardware" wizards.

Any help would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about sata drive bootup finding hardware

    One more piece of information:
    If I cancel out of the "find hardware" wizard, the disk shows that it is
    working properly in the hardware profiles. If I try to let the system find
    the driver, from Windows or from the Maxtor CD, it can't find a suitable
    driver and then it says the divice may not be working. However, everything is
    still working, the device just has the yellow warning in the device manager
    window. On the properties it shows driver provider unknown, driver date not
    available, etc. However, if I open driver details, it is actually using
    disk.sys and PartMgr.sys from the Windows\system32\drivers directory from
    xpsp_sp2_rtm.....

    "shellman" wrote:

    > Even though the drive is now installed and is storing data OK, every boot-up
    > tells me the system has found new hardware and wants to install the software
    > for it.
    >
    > My biggest problem is probably I should have read these posts rather than
    > the instructions that came with the Maxtor drive! This was my first SATA
    > install.
    >
    > I installed 250GByte Maxtor SATA drive as a 3rd drive on my P4C800-E
    > motherboard in one of the non-RAID SATA ports. The MB found the drive in BIOS
    > just fine. I tried to run the MaxBlast and that's when things started going
    > wrong. I finally did get windows to recognize and format the drive when I
    > went to Windows disk manager (XP Pro SP2).
    >
    > Even though it appears to be working fine, each time I reboot I'm stuck
    > cancelling out of "found new hardware" wizards.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

Hardware SATA Windows XP