New SATA Drive - Bootup Keeps "finding new hardware"

November 7, 2004 9:53:01 PM

Even though the drive is now installed and is storing data OK, every boot-up
tells me the system has found new hardware and wants to install the software
for it.

My biggest problem is probably I should have read these posts rather than
the instructions that came with the Maxtor drive! This was my first SATA
install.

I installed 250GByte Maxtor SATA drive as a 3rd drive on my P4C800-E
motherboard in one of the non-RAID SATA ports. The MB found the drive in BIOS
just fine. I tried to run the MaxBlast and that's when things started going
wrong. I finally did get windows to recognize and format the drive when I
went to Windows disk manager (XP Pro SP2).

Even though it appears to be working fine, each time I reboot I'm stuck
cancelling out of "found new hardware" wizards.

Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:52:02 PM

One more piece of information:
If I cancel out of the "find hardware" wizard, the disk shows that it is
working properly in the hardware profiles. If I try to let the system find
the driver, from Windows or from the Maxtor CD, it can't find a suitable
driver and then it says the divice may not be working. However, everything is
still working, the device just has the yellow warning in the device manager
window. On the properties it shows driver provider unknown, driver date not
available, etc. However, if I open driver details, it is actually using
disk.sys and PartMgr.sys from the Windows\system32\drivers directory from
xpsp_sp2_rtm.....