GA-7N400-L will not work in automatic clk setting

my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

"Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ZIVkc.1995$8S1.1070@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them.

Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

Great idea
power down and unplug from the wall
now set the ratio switches to 10.5.
power up and re-set up the BIOS
read the manual
HG

"Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

"Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ZIVkc.1995$8S1.1070@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Go and take a look at the bios update page.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7N400-L.htm.
It mentions an issue where it couldnt boot with kingston 400/433 DDR
though yours are crucial they might be affected by this issue also.

For some reason, Dimitris, there are two models of the 3000XP. The part
nmber ending in E allows a FSB of 400mHz.
JS

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<324lc.9332$Ia6.1132947@attbi_s03>...
> For some reason, Dimitris, there are two models of the 3000XP. The part
> nmber ending in E allows a FSB of 400mHz.
> JS
>
> > Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
> > XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

Ok, ok i wasnt aware of that CPU. Maybe his mobo doesnt support 400Mhz
FSB CPU, only memory ddr400.

> "Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

See if it boots with one stick of ram

this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
a 333Mhz fsb

"Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<nwdlc.2073$a47.611@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
> a 333Mhz fsb

I think this confuses not only me, but your motherboard as well!. It
detects CPU 3000+ and sets a multiplier 13.0x which is normal for
(166x2)333FSB, but not for (200x2)400FSB (which is 11.0x i think)
which causes the 3000+ cpu to crash since it goes up to 200x13=2.6Ghz
instead of the 2.2Ghz which is the correct speed.

"Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<nwdlc.2073$a47.611@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
> a 333Mhz fsb

SO if your motherboard have switches to select multiplier, or through
bios to choose the multiplier, set it to 10.0x. Then set FSB(host)
clock to auto.

well, that did't work. i powered down set the ratio_sw to 10.5 left the
clk_sw set to off (100mhz) rebooted, checked the bios, restarted to floppy.
powered down, set clk_sw to auto and........ does not boot ........ no beeps
....no nothing. every part on this mobo came from my soyo mobo and ran fine
at 400Mhz fsb. i am stumped!
"henny" <henrygiii@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Great idea
> power down and unplug from the wall
> now set the ratio switches to 10.5.
> power up and re-set up the BIOS
> read the manual
> HG
>
> "Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
> after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
> 3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
> soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

tried that too, same story wont boot with clk_sw set to auto.
thanks

In article <ZIVkc.1995$8S1.1070@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Walt E" <Wayrider@hotmail.com> wrote:
>my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
>installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
>getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
>setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
>proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
>proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
>works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
>kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
>giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

I've built a couple systems on this board.
I liked them, but to get them stable I had to set ram timings manually. You
have to press some key combination to get the options to come up. Dig in the
manual to find it. I could not get boards stable with 400(200)mhz Ram speed
and 333(166)mhz cpu speed. The boards I had wanted ram to run syncronious with
the fsb.
3-4-3-7 timings worked for me at 333 system
3-4-4-8 worked at 400 system
I was using cheap ram in dual channel mode

Good Luck
:) Greg B.