Lexmark x73 Installation

First off, here's what I have:
XP Pro sp2
1.67g AMD Athlon XP
1gb RAM
120gb hdd

Trying to install Lexmark x73 all-in-one for first time since installing
sp2. Printer, scanner, etc. worked fine with sp1. Had printer in closet.
Attempting to install, xp won't recognize printer, says it malfunctioned.
checking out device manager...nope, unknown device under usb, also unknown
multimedia device. Disabled power management under every instance of usb

What have I already done? Replaced usb cable. Attempted to install printer
drivers without printer being attached. Heck, I formatted and reinstalled xp.
turned off power management under every instance of USB root hub in device
manager.
Now, I would guess at this point one of two things: (1) Printer's shot, get
something better than Lexmark, or (2) sp2 isn't playing nice. Here's the
catch, though...after disabling power management in USB Root Hun in device
manager, Lexmark app found that my cartridges had 'changed'. This tells me
that there is some communication between the printer and the computer. Now I
ask:

What the heck should I try next?? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"grindspud2" <grindspud2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First off, here's what I have:
> XP Pro sp2
> 1.67g AMD Athlon XP
> 1gb RAM
> 120gb hdd
>
> Trying to install Lexmark x73 all-in-one for first time since installing
> sp2. Printer, scanner, etc. worked fine with sp1. Had printer in closet.
> Attempting to install, xp won't recognize printer, says it malfunctioned.
> checking out device manager...nope, unknown device under usb, also unknown
> multimedia device. Disabled power management under every instance of usb
>
> What have I already done? Replaced usb cable. Attempted to install
> printer
> drivers without printer being attached. Heck, I formatted and reinstalled
> xp.
> turned off power management under every instance of USB root hub in device
> manager.
> Now, I would guess at this point one of two things: (1) Printer's shot,
> get
> something better than Lexmark, or (2) sp2 isn't playing nice. Here's the
> catch, though...after disabling power management in USB Root Hun in device
> manager, Lexmark app found that my cartridges had 'changed'. This tells
> me
> that there is some communication between the printer and the computer.
> Now I
> ask:
>
> What the heck should I try next?? :)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW I have the Lexmark x73 running on XPSP2. I installed SP2 with the x73
still installed and it continued to work as before.

Not a solution I realize. Offered simply as an indication that the x73 will
work with SP2.

Perhaps you might try removing SP2, get the printer working and then
reinstall SP2?

Best of luck.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.