Report: AMD Launching Trinity APUs Soon; Desktop in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I hope AMD will remove itself from too much false hope. I really want to see an improve CPU/APU from them and not just another Bulldozer fiasco. We need them to compete with over-priced over-hyped CPUs from Intel.

i personally think APUs are stupid for the desktop because most people would just buy a entry level graphics card if they really needed to play games. its better on the laptops because battery life is importnatn

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Sounds good... I hope it works better than Bulldozer....

If the GPU is improved it will probably make a good laptop processor, especially if you can get a crossfire option.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]i personally think APUs are stupid for the desktop because most people would just buy a entry level graphics card if they really needed to play games. its better on the laptops because battery life is importnatn[/citation]

The graphics engine in the Trinity APU is essentially a Turks HD6570.

Presumably, TrinityII, or Kaveri, will be a 28nm GCN-core HD7750, on Hudson FM2.

Is that entry-level enough for you?

:)

G

So this means the Piledriver APUs are coming out soon, where are the Piledriver based CPUs for us AM3+ owners?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
AMD is so much behind Intel, it's ridiculous. And don't give me that AMD is 10 times smaller than Intel, ARM is 5 times smaller than AMD, yet they manage to dominate a huge market segment. Also, as big as Intel is, they aren't able to compete with nVidia and ATI/AMD in the GPU market, so AMD doesn't have any excuses. They really messed up with Bulldozer (and to a lesser extent with Stars), while Intel did everything right.

G

This should be fun but why delay the desktop version or is it just not done yet? The notebook versions need to come out for ultrabooks so that makes sense I suppose.

So this means the Piledriver APUs are coming out soon, where are the Piledriver based CPUs for us AM3+ owners?

The AMD FX-8120 Zambezi is down to $160. AMD is finding their price points as yield presumably improves. I suspect they are binning a few FX-Piledrivers in preparation for final production, but the great majority of wafer-starts are dedicated to Trinity.

Trinity has been in final production since the first week of Feb. With a decent yield (or maybe, more importantly, greater yield of higher-value 17/35w chips), GloFlo might have those 32nm Fabs a-flyin'

This should be fun but why delay the desktop version or is it just not done yet? The notebook versions need to come out for ultrabooks so that makes sense I suppose.

See above.

Llano/FM1 is dropping in price and moving out inventory. Mobile Trinity 17/35w command a much higher price so binning desktop chips is only practical.

Desktop Trinity/FM2 is scheduled to launch in August. It's simply the way production capacity, yields and wafer-starts work out.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]The hell is a scuttlebutt?[/citation]

Search engines are your friends. :)

"Scuttlebutt" is another word for "rumor" or "gossip".

;)

[citation][nom]Chainzsaw[/nom]IMO trinity will make a great gaming laptop. I don't think trinity will be that great in the high desktop end. It would however make a great HTPC.[/citation]

If Trinity can make it into the lower mid-range or at least the top of the entry level, then I'll be happy with it. I'd also like to see a quick-sync competitor in it like the Radeons are supposed to have (although I don't think that AMD has it working yet).

[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]The graphics engine in the Trinity APU is essentially a Turks HD6570.Presumably, TrinityII, or Kaveri, will be a 28nm GCN-core HD7750, on Hudson FM2.Is that entry-level enough for you?[/citation]

Do we know this for sure? I'd really rather that it had a 28nm GCN GPU. If it has a Turks, is it at least a die shrink of the Turks? Do we know what cards that it can CF with and is it true that it can CF with two cards at once instead of just one? If so, then must they be the same card? So many questions. Hopefully, they wil be answered soon.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]i personally think APUs are stupid for the desktop because most people would just buy a entry level graphics card if they really needed to play games. its better on the laptops because battery life is importnatn[/citation]
It's not only about playing games, it's a budget option that has high value. Most people don't usually buy entry level video cards cause they're an added expense, however i've made incredibly awesome HTPCs that are cool on the inside and out. with a bit of juice to play older games, or a couple of new ones at low settings.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Sounds good... I hope it works better than Bulldozer.... If the GPU is improved it will probably make a good laptop processor, especially if you can get a crossfire option.[/citation]

Bulldozer actually works quite well for the people who bought it for it's real strength which is multi-tasking, & also took the time to get the necessary software updates. As time has passed it's turned out to be a pretty fair amount better than initially reported.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]mojorisin23[/nom]They'll never catch up to intel[/citation]

Kind of a fanboi thing to say, but in overall cpu performance, maybe not. But they also won't in price either. AMD's APUs are a great HTPC option & low budget gaming option. Intel may never catch them in the APU department. Give some credit where it's due will ya?

G

wisecracker wrote:
"The graphics engine in the Trinity APU is essentially a Turks HD6570.

Presumably, TrinityII, or Kaveri, will be a 28nm GCN-core HD7750, on Hudson FM2.

Is that entry-level enough for you?"

Wow, did not know that. That would be a big win for Intel to not compete with GCN. When do they expect Trinity II out?

[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]Kind of a fanboi thing to say, but in overall cpu performance, maybe not. But they also won't in price either. AMD's APUs are a great HTPC option & low budget gaming option. Intel may never catch them in the APU department. Give some credit where it's due will ya?[/citation]

Well, if AMD gets Steamroller out before Haswell and it at least matches Sandy in performance per watt (not an unreasonable gain if Trinity can match or at least come close to Nehalem), then the next release could match Haswell, or at least come close. AMD could be back in the high end for CPUs in the next few years. Bulldozer is really a good architecture, it's just hindered by a poor implementation in the FX designs (150-250 poor engineers do not match 20-30 great engineers in anything except payroll, but AMD corporate guys seem to disagree), huge cache latency, and poor memory controllers. It could be very fast if the non-architectural problems were solved, maybe keep pace with Sandy in performance per watt (Ivy would probably still be out of reach for power efficiency, it's just too efficient to expect AMD to catch up in even two huge improvement releases).

Intel could match AMD in GPU performance if they wanted to, but that would mean that Intel would need to allocate more die area to their IGP and such. It's already pretty big and the majority of Intel's customers would not see a benefit from going from HD 200 to 4000 already since they don't do graphically heavy things, so Intel simply doesn't want to go farther because it would mean increased cost of manufacturing without many people using the improved hardware to the full extent of it's capabilities. Honestly, HD 4000 is kinda overpowered for even HTPC work. The only people that would benefit from it are people who use graphics cards such as a 6570 and above, mostly the entry level gamers. AMD's APUs are focused on that group and although they are making AMD money, are they making enough money for Intel to care and does Intel want to hurt their rival in such a time? Let's not forget how bad things would be for Intel if AMD were to tank under.

Anti-trust lawsuits galore. Intel needs AMD to be successful. So, Intel will leave AMD the lower profit markets while taking the higher profit markets. It works out for Intel who are rich and AMD gets enough money to sty afloat. If AMD can manage to catch Intel or at least close the gap in the next few years, then Intel might need to make some serious leaps to stay far ahead of AMD. The next few years could get much more interesting than the last few.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]will we need to wait for windows 9 to get decent performance from these APU's lol[/citation]

Piledriver doesn't need any optimization to hammer Bulldozer. The Windows 8 optimization is for improved multi-threaded performance. Gaming generally isn't very well-threaded (and when it is, it usually doesn't make good use of more than one or two threads and the others are hardly doing anything) If you want to troll about something, learn about it first or your just going to look like an idiot troll.

Also, any optimization for Bulldozer in Windows 8 will do the same for Piledriver and it's other derivatives.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
AMD should come out with an A10 mobile apu with two regular cores and 4 e350 cores. they could also make an A12 apu with 4 regular cores and 4 e350 cores. That would cool to have an 8 core laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.