windows XP on dell laptop does not start when using CTX pr..

1 - I hook up my Dell laptop to a CTX projector and
when I start the laptop, the win XP logo appears, blank
screen, doesn't start and "no signal" appears on projector screen.
All this time, XP appears ok on the laptop screen. It just
doesn't want to restart after the blank screen as does my tower.

2 - When I hook up my tower, which has win XP, win XP logo appears,
blank screen, then "no signal" appears, then XP starts normally.

3 - When I hook up my Dell laptop (7 years old), it starts ok
and it appears on the projector screen so the projector is ok.

5 - Before I tried the Dell with the projector, I defragged the c: drive
and shrunk the c: drive and made the e: fat32 drive larger using
Partition Magic to install some files to use at my demo. I don't
think this could cause the problem, I used PM dozens of times, never
a problem. Using defrag shouldn't cause a problem.

Any help would be appreciated

jozien
5 answers Last reply
More about windows dell laptop start

    Do you have the projector .inf files installed on the two systems that
    don't want to work?

    Joe Zien wrote:

    > 1 - I hook up my Dell laptop to a CTX projector and
    > when I start the laptop, the win XP logo appears, blank
    > screen, doesn't start and "no signal" appears on projector screen.
    > All this time, XP appears ok on the laptop screen. It just
    > doesn't want to restart after the blank screen as does my tower.
    >
    > 2 - When I hook up my tower, which has win XP, win XP logo appears,
    > blank screen, then "no signal" appears, then XP starts normally.
    >
    > 3 - When I hook up my Dell laptop (7 years old), it starts ok
    > and it appears on the projector screen so the projector is ok.
    >
    > 5 - Before I tried the Dell with the projector, I defragged the c: drive
    > and shrunk the c: drive and made the e: fat32 drive larger using
    > Partition Magic to install some files to use at my demo. I don't
    > think this could cause the problem, I used PM dozens of times, never
    > a problem. Using defrag shouldn't cause a problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > jozien

    I'm confused - see below.

    "Joe Zien" <jozien@cybercomm.net> wrote in message
    > 1 - I hook up my Dell laptop to a CTX projector and
    > when I start the laptop, the win XP logo appears, blank
    > screen, doesn't start and "no signal" appears on projector screen.
    > All this time, XP appears ok on the laptop screen. It just
    > doesn't want to restart after the blank screen as does my tower.
    >
    > 2 - When I hook up my tower, which has win XP, win XP logo appears,
    > blank screen, then "no signal" appears, then XP starts normally.
    *** Hook up what to your tower?

    > 3 - When I hook up my Dell laptop (7 years old), it starts ok
    > and it appears on the projector screen so the projector is ok.
    *** Hook up the Dell laptop to what?
    *** Is this the same laptop as the one in Step 1?
    *** If so, what's the difference between Steps 1 and 3?

    *** Are we missing Step 4?

    > 5 - Before I tried the Dell with the projector, I defragged the c: drive
    > and shrunk the c: drive and made the e: fat32 drive larger using
    > Partition Magic to install some files to use at my demo. I don't
    > think this could cause the problem, I used PM dozens of times, never
    > a problem. Using defrag shouldn't cause a problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > jozien

    Are you in fact telling us that one of your laptops fails to boot
    when driving a CTX projector?

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > I'm confused - see below.
    >
    > "Joe Zien" <jozien@cybercomm.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>1 - I hook up my Dell laptop to a CTX projector and
    >> when I start the laptop, the win XP logo appears, blank
    >> screen, doesn't start and "no signal" appears on projector screen.
    >> All this time, XP appears ok on the laptop screen. It just
    >> doesn't want to restart after the blank screen as does my tower.
    >>
    >>2 - When I hook up my tower, which has win XP, win XP logo appears,
    >> blank screen, then "no signal" appears, then XP starts normally.
    >
    > *** Hook up what to your tower?
    >

    >>3 - When I hook up my Dell laptop (7 years old), it starts ok
    >> and it appears on the projector screen so the projector is ok.
    >
    > *** Hook up the Dell laptop to what?
    Hook up to the CTX

    > *** Is this the same laptop as the one in Step 1?

    No.
    > *** If so, what's the difference between Steps 1 and 3?
    Step 1 is a Dell Inspiron 1100 with win XP, step 3 is a 7 tear old
    Inspiron 7000 with win 98 and it works fine with the CTX.

    > *** Are we missing Step 4?

    I didn't renumber the steps

    >>5 - Before I tried the Dell with the projector, I defragged the c: drive
    >> and shrunk the c: drive and made the e: fat32 drive larger using
    >> Partition Magic to install some files to use at my demo. I don't
    >> think this could cause the problem, I used PM dozens of times, never
    >> a problem. Using defrag shouldn't cause a problem.
    This step should be changed to step 4.

    >>Any help would be appreciated
    >>
    >>jozien
    >

    > Are you in fact telling us that one of your laptops fails to boot
    > when driving a CTX projector?
    The 1100 fails to boot while the 7000 boots up fine.

    To summarize:

    The Dell with XP starts up with XP, XP screen appears, then a blank
    screen appears, then "no signal" appears in the lower right portion
    on the screen projection of the CTX. (see step 1)
    The other Dell 7000 boots up fine while connected to the CTX.
    I just want to point out that the CTX is fine, just that XP on the 1100
    does not boot up after "no signal" appears on the projector screen.

    Joe Zien wrote:
    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> I'm confused - see below.
    >>
    >> "Joe Zien" <jozien@cybercomm.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> 1 - I hook up my Dell laptop to a CTX projector and
    >>> when I start the laptop, the win XP logo appears, blank
    >>> screen, doesn't start and "no signal" appears on projector screen.
    >>> All this time, XP appears ok on the laptop screen. It just
    >>> doesn't want to restart after the blank screen as does my tower.
    >>>
    >>> 2 - When I hook up my tower, which has win XP, win XP logo appears,
    >>> blank screen, then "no signal" appears, then XP starts normally.
    >>

    >> *** Hook up what to your tower?
    >>

    >>> 3 - When I hook up my Dell laptop (7 years old), it starts ok
    >>> and it appears on the projector screen so the projector is ok.
    >>

    >> *** Hook up the Dell laptop to what?
    >
    > Hook up to the CTX
    >
    >> *** Is this the same laptop as the one in Step 1?
    >

    > No.
    >
    >> *** If so, what's the difference between Steps 1 and 3?
    >
    > Step 1 is a Dell Inspiron 1100 with win XP, step 3 is a 7 tear old
    > Inspiron 7000 with win 98 and it works fine with the CTX.
    >

    >> *** Are we missing Step 4?
    >

    > I didn't renumber the steps
    >

    >>> 5 - Before I tried the Dell with the projector, I defragged the c: drive
    >>> and shrunk the c: drive and made the e: fat32 drive larger using
    >>> Partition Magic to install some files to use at my demo. I don't
    >>> think this could cause the problem, I used PM dozens of times, never
    >>> a problem. Using defrag shouldn't cause a problem.
    >
    > This step should be changed to step 4.
    >

    >>> Any help would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>> jozien
    >>

    >> Are you in fact telling us that one of your laptops fails to boot
    >> when driving a CTX projector?
    >
    > The 1100 fails to boot while the 7000 boots up fine.
    >

    > To summarize:
    >
    > The Dell with XP starts up with XP, XP screen appears, then a blank
    > screen appears, then "no signal" appears in the lower right portion
    > on the screen projection of the CTX. (see step 1)
    > The other Dell 7000 boots up fine while connected to the CTX.
    > I just want to point out that the CTX is fine, just that XP on the 1100
    > does not boot up after "no signal" appears on the projector screen.

    I solved this problem.

    On the laptop, F8 function key selects laptop screen or projector
    screen, the laptop was set to laptop screen screen only.

    jozien

    > Joe Zien wrote:
    > > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm confused - see below.
    > >>
    > >> "Joe Zien" <jozien@cybercomm.net> wrote in message

    > >> *** Hook up what to your tower?

    > >> *** Hook up the Dell laptop to what?
    > >
    > > Hook up to the CTX
    > >
    > >> *** Is this the same laptop as the one in Step 1?
    > >

    > > No.
    > >
    > >> *** If so, what's the difference between Steps 1 and 3?
    > >
    > > Step 1 is a Dell Inspiron 1100 with win XP, step 3 is a 7 tear old
    > > Inspiron 7000 with win 98 and it works fine with the CTX.
    > >

    > >> *** Are we missing Step 4?
    > >

    > > I didn't renumber the steps

    drive

    > > This step should be changed to step 4.

    > >> Are you in fact telling us that one of your laptops fails to boot
    > >> when driving a CTX projector?
    > >
    > > The 1100 fails to boot while the 7000 boots up fine.
    > >

    > > To summarize:
    > >
    > > The Dell with XP starts up with XP, XP screen appears, then a blank
    > > screen appears, then "no signal" appears in the lower right portion
    > > on the screen projection of the CTX. (see step 1)
    > > The other Dell 7000 boots up fine while connected to the CTX.
    > > I just want to point out that the CTX is fine, just that XP on the 1100
    > > does not boot up after "no signal" appears on the projector screen.
    >
    > I solved this problem.
    >
    > On the laptop, F8 function key selects laptop screen or projector
    > screen, the laptop was set to laptop screen screen only.
    >
    > jozien

    In your previous post you wrote "I just want to point out that the
    CTX is fine, just that XP on the 1100 does not boot up after "no
    signal" appears on the projector screen". It seems your observation
    was incorrect: The XP booted up alright but it did not show any
    display. This is probably the reason why you did not attract any
    additional replies: What you reported was at variance with
    most people's experience.

Laptops Windows XP Projector Dell