Rubix

Hi,

I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory only on a
PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the software including
Windows?

Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently very
rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a different or
more appropriate chipset?

Rubix

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

#1 Not necessary, but probably best.
#2 P4 3.0G W/HT has 478 pins. The I845, the I865P, the I865PE, and
the most mature the I875P chipsets will handle your CPU. Your DDR
memory will control the FSB. 266 or 533 or 800. For stability I would
suggest for your CPU an Intel i875p with matched PC 3200 RDRAM.
For more speed go to a Promise RAID 0 controller.
good luck

curt

I don't know about the availability of boards with the 478 chipset, but the
way I understand it is unless the new board has the exact same chipset, a
reactivation XP will be necessary at best. At worst, a 'repair installation'
of XP will in order. The repair installation does not require you to
re-install any software. The memory upgrade is not usually an issue.

Curt.

Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory only on
> a PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the software
> including Windows?
>
> Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
> motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently very
> rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a different
> or more appropriate chipset?
>
> Rubix

its best to do a reinstall if you change the motherboard . otherwise you
might end up with some chipset driver issues.

i dont think the chipset is rare. any intel 865 based motherboard will
suit your processor well

--
bottle
bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory
> only on a PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the
> software including Windows?
>
> Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
> motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently
> very rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a
> different or more appropriate chipset?
>
> Rubix

Rubix

Thanks guys!
I obviously need to do a little more research, before buying my motherboard
and memory. I need more info on the most appropriate DDR memory and
motherboard.

My existing memory is 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR and a FIC P4M-800T
motherboard. The memory failed and I fried the motherboard while fixing the
problem, by fixing the DDR in back to front, and damaging a capacitor.

Any pointers to websites, mags or books which may help?

Rubix

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory only
> on a
> | PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the software
> including
> | Windows?
> |
> | Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
> | motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently very
> | rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a
> different or
> | more appropriate chipset?
>
> #1 Not necessary, but probably best.
> #2 P4 3.0G W/HT has 478 pins. The I845, the I865P, the I865PE, and
> the most mature the I875P chipsets will handle your CPU. Your DDR
> memory will control the FSB. 266 or 533 or 800. For stability I would
> suggest for your CPU an Intel i875p with matched PC 3200 RDRAM.
> For more speed go to a Promise RAID 0 controller.
> good luck

curt

These sites: www.pcworld.com , www.pcmagazine.com , will offer a lot of
insight on components. There are others of course that you can Google for.
When you're ready to buy, check out www.newegg.com , www.tigerdirect.com ,
www.pricewatch.com and www.pricegrabber.com . NewEgg in particular offers a
wide variety of components at very reasonable prices and fast delivery. I
know this from personal experience. The same is said about TigerDirect, but
I've not dealt with them.

One other thing, in your first post you mention a '478' chipset. I pretty
sure you meant 478 to be the socket type of your CPU. That being the case,
I'm running the same HT CPU you have on an Intel D865PERL board with a gig
of DDR PC3200 memory. No problems at all. Take a look the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
series as well. I've got an HT P4 2.4 CPU on one with a gig of DDR PC3200
memory, again no problems. Posy back and let us know what you came up with.

Good luck,

--
Curt.
> Thanks guys!
> I obviously need to do a little more research, before buying my
> motherboard and memory. I need more info on the most appropriate DDR
> memory and motherboard.
>
> My existing memory is 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR and a FIC P4M-800T
> motherboard. The memory failed and I fried the motherboard while fixing
> the problem, by fixing the DDR in back to front, and damaging a
> capacitor.
>
> Any pointers to websites, mags or books which may help?
>
> Rubix
>
> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory only
>> on a
>> | PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the software
>> including
>> | Windows?
>> |
>> | Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
>> | motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently
>> very
>> | rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a
>> different or
>> | more appropriate chipset?
>>
>> #1 Not necessary, but probably best.
>> #2 P4 3.0G W/HT has 478 pins. The I845, the I865P, the I865PE, and
>> the most mature the I875P chipsets will handle your CPU. Your DDR
>> memory will control the FSB. 266 or 533 or 800. For stability I would
>> suggest for your CPU an Intel i875p with matched PC 3200 RDRAM.
>> For more speed go to a Promise RAID 0 controller.
>> good luck

I see that your board is a Socket 478 one, using a Via PT800 chipset.

http://www.fica.com/site/html/products/mb/detail.asp?cat_id=240000048&C_ID=240000802

It's also a microATX board (24.4 X 22.9 cm). That's the only thing uncommon
about it. Do you need one that small, or will a full-sized ATX board do? If
you need microATX, your choices may be limited, but they're out there.

You may not be able to buy from them if you're in the UK, but check the
mainboards available at www.newegg.com. You'll find a number of microATX
boards, but most of them (like your FIC board) won't use Intel chipsets. I
suggest that you avoid PC Chips products, but most of the others may be OK.

If you can use a normal ATX board, I'd suggest an Asus P4P800 (Intel 865PE)
or P4C800 (Intel 875) board, although there may be better values available.
Asus also makes the P4S800, which uses an SiS chipset, and is a bit cheaper.

If you use a new mainboard with a different chipset (than the PT800), you'll
probably need to do at least a repair install:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Some would declare that nothing but a clean re-installation of XP will
serve, but I've had good results with a repair installation in the past, and
it can be much less work.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks guys!
> I obviously need to do a little more research, before buying my
> motherboard and memory. I need more info on the most appropriate DDR
> memory and motherboard.
>
> My existing memory is 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR and a FIC P4M-800T
> motherboard. The memory failed and I fried the motherboard while fixing
> the problem, by fixing the DDR in back to front, and damaging a
> capacitor.
>
> Any pointers to websites, mags or books which may help?
>
> Rubix
>
> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | I have 2 queries first I want to change the motherboard and memory only
>> on a
>> | PC I own. Does this mean I will have to reinstall all the software
>> including
>> | Windows?
>> |
>> | Secondly, I have discovered that a 478 chipset was used on my old
>> | motherboard for a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz chip with HT. This is apparently
>> very
>> | rare as per my research, or am I missing something? Can I use a
>> different or
>> | more appropriate chipset?
>>
>> #1 Not necessary, but probably best.
>> #2 P4 3.0G W/HT has 478 pins. The I845, the I865P, the I865PE, and
>> the most mature the I875P chipsets will handle your CPU. Your DDR
>> memory will control the FSB. 266 or 533 or 800. For stability I would
>> suggest for your CPU an Intel i875p with matched PC 3200 RDRAM.
>> For more speed go to a Promise RAID 0 controller.
>> good luck

Rubix

I have more or less settled for a $200.00 ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board.
The Intel site seems to recommend only Gigabytes GA-8NXP series with an 875
chipset
but that costs about $400.00. I am not sure the difference in performance
can justify the price.
The Asus also seems to have a lot of novice-friendly features like an auto
web-update facility for the bios and crash protection.
Its also the same chipset.

I think I'll buy 2 smaller memory sticks. I might damage 1 big one.

Yeah 478 is the socket type not the chipset.

Rubix

"Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message
> These sites: www.pcworld.com , www.pcmagazine.com , will offer a lot of
> insight on components. There are others of course that you can Google for.
> When you're ready to buy, check out www.newegg.com , www.tigerdirect.com ,
> www.pricewatch.com and www.pricegrabber.com . NewEgg in particular offers
> a wide variety of components at very reasonable prices and fast delivery.
> I know this from personal experience. The same is said about TigerDirect,
> but I've not dealt with them.
>
> One other thing, in your first post you mention a '478' chipset. I pretty
> sure you meant 478 to be the socket type of your CPU. That being the case,
> I'm running the same HT CPU you have on an Intel D865PERL board with a gig
> of DDR PC3200 memory. No problems at all. Take a look the Asus P4P800
> Deluxe series as well. I've got an HT P4 2.4 CPU on one with a gig of DDR
> PC3200 memory, again no problems. Posy back and let us know what you came
> up with.
>
> Good luck,
>

> --
> Curt.
> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks guys!
>> I obviously need to do a little more research, before buying my
>> motherboard and memory. I need more info on the most appropriate DDR
>> memory and motherboard.
>>
>> My existing memory is 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR and a FIC P4M-800T
>> motherboard. The memory failed and I fried the motherboard while fixing
>> the problem, by fixing the DDR in back to front, and damaging a
>> capacitor.
>>
>> Any pointers to websites, mags or books which may help?
>>
>> Rubix
>>
>> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> only
>>> on a
>>> including

>>> very
>>> different or
>>>
>>> #1 Not necessary, but probably best.
>>> #2 P4 3.0G W/HT has 478 pins. The I845, the I865P, the I865PE, and
>>> the most mature the I875P chipsets will handle your CPU. Your DDR
>>> memory will control the FSB. 266 or 533 or 800. For stability I would
>>> suggest for your CPU an Intel i875p with matched PC 3200 RDRAM.
>>> For more speed go to a Promise RAID 0 controller.
>>> good luck

Rubix

I'll do a repair install. I have an upgrade disk to XP pro that I have never
used.

Thanks

Rubix

curt

Good choice. You'll be OK.

--
Curt
>I have more or less settled for a $200.00 ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board.
> The Intel site seems to recommend only Gigabytes GA-8NXP series with an
> 875 chipset
> but that costs about $400.00. I am not sure the difference in performance
> can justify the price.
> The Asus also seems to have a lot of novice-friendly features like an auto
> web-update facility for the bios and crash protection.
> Its also the same chipset.
>
> I think I'll buy 2 smaller memory sticks. I might damage 1 big one.
>
> Yeah 478 is the socket type not the chipset.
>
> Rubix
>

> "Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message
>> These sites: www.pcworld.com , www.pcmagazine.com , will offer a lot of
>> insight on components. There are others of course that you can Google
>> for. When you're ready to buy, check out www.newegg.com ,
>> www.tigerdirect.com , www.pricewatch.com and www.pricegrabber.com .
>> NewEgg in particular offers a wide variety of components at very
>> reasonable prices and fast delivery. I know this from personal
>> experience. The same is said about TigerDirect, but I've not dealt with
>> them.
>>
>> One other thing, in your first post you mention a '478' chipset. I pretty
>> sure you meant 478 to be the socket type of your CPU. That being the
>> case, I'm running the same HT CPU you have on an Intel D865PERL board
>> with a gig of DDR PC3200 memory. No problems at all. Take a look the Asus
>> P4P800 Deluxe series as well. I've got an HT P4 2.4 CPU on one with a gig
>> of DDR PC3200 memory, again no problems. Posy back and let us know what
>> you came up with.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>

>> --
>> Curt.
>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Thanks guys!
>>> I obviously need to do a little more research, before buying my
>>> motherboard and memory. I need more info on the most appropriate DDR
>>> memory and motherboard.
>>>
>>> My existing memory is 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR and a FIC P4M-800T
>>> motherboard. The memory failed and I fried the motherboard while fixing
>>> the problem, by fixing the DDR in back to front, and damaging a
>>> capacitor.
>>>
>>> Any pointers to websites, mags or books which may help?
>>>
>>> Rubix
>>>
>>> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

Rubix

I am wondering whether it makes sense now to buy a motherboard without PCI
express :(

> Good choice. You'll be OK.
>
> --
> Curt
> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have more or less settled for a $200.00 ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board.
>> The Intel site seems to recommend only Gigabytes GA-8NXP series with an
>> 875 chipset
>> but that costs about $400.00. I am not sure the difference in performance
>> can justify the price.
>> The Asus also seems to have a lot of novice-friendly features like an
>> auto web-update facility for the bios and crash protection.
>> Its also the same chipset.
>>
>> I think I'll buy 2 smaller memory sticks. I might damage 1 big one.
>>
>> Yeah 478 is the socket type not the chipset.
>>
>> Rubix
>>

>> "Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message
>>> These sites: www.pcworld.com , www.pcmagazine.com , will offer a lot of
>>> insight on components. There are others of course that you can Google
>>> for. When you're ready to buy, check out www.newegg.com ,
>>> www.tigerdirect.com , www.pricewatch.com and www.pricegrabber.com .
>>> NewEgg in particular offers a wide variety of components at very
>>> reasonable prices and fast delivery. I know this from personal
>>> experience. The same is said about TigerDirect, but I've not dealt with
>>> them.
>>>
>>> One other thing, in your first post you mention a '478' chipset. I
>>> pretty sure you meant 478 to be the socket type of your CPU. That being
>>> the case, I'm running the same HT CPU you have on an Intel D865PERL
>>> board with a gig of DDR PC3200 memory. No problems at all. Take a look
>>> the Asus P4P800 Deluxe series as well. I've got an HT P4 2.4 CPU on one
>>> with a gig of DDR PC3200 memory, again no problems. Posy back and let us
>>> know what you came up with.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Curt.
>>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message

curt

I don't know a whole lot about PCI Express and my current AGP setup suits me
just fine. But the following sites should help in making your decision:

http://tinyurl.com/4yf24 , http://tinyurl.com/5fsoz ,
http://tinyurl.com/6tcbx .

Good luck,

Curt.

>I don't know a whole lot about PCI Express and my current AGP setup suits
>me just fine. But the following sites should help in making your decision:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4yf24 , http://tinyurl.com/5fsoz ,
> http://tinyurl.com/6tcbx .
>
> Good luck,
>
> Curt.
>

> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I am wondering whether it makes sense now to buy a motherboard without PCI
>>express :(
>>
>> Rubix
>>
>> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
>>> Good choice. You'll be OK.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Curt
>>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message

curt

Welcome.

--
Curt
> Thanks
>
> Rubix
>
> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
>>I don't know a whole lot about PCI Express and my current AGP setup suits
>>me just fine. But the following sites should help in making your decision:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4yf24 , http://tinyurl.com/5fsoz ,
>> http://tinyurl.com/6tcbx .
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Curt.
>>

>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I am wondering whether it makes sense now to buy a motherboard without
>>>PCI express :(
>>>
>>> Rubix
>>>
>>> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message

Rubix

I've decided I don't need PCI express.

> Welcome.
>
> --
> Curt
> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rubix
>>
>> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't know a whole lot about PCI Express and my current AGP setup suits
>>>me just fine. But the following sites should help in making your
>>>decision:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4yf24 , http://tinyurl.com/5fsoz ,
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6tcbx .
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Curt.
>>>

>>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message

curt

You're still welcome. <G> Hope you have your new box together real soon.
Post back when you're done.

Curt.

> I've decided I don't need PCI express.
>
> Rubix
> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
>> Welcome.
>>
>> --
>> Curt
>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Rubix
>>>
>>> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message

Rubix

Thanks Curt,
My motherboard is due on Monday, but I've ordered non-magnetic tools and a
new graphics driver too. Thanks for wishing me luck. Its a tough world. I'll
need it.

Yeah I'll keep you posted, but it might be more than a week as I have a lot
of research to do before I'm confident enough to do the full installation.

A problem area I've uncovered is that I have an XP home OEM installation.
I'm going to have to reload windows.

This could be complicated as I have already upgraded to XP SP2. My
recollection is that upgrading to XP SP1 professional with newer SP2 files
already installed can be a problem. I'm going to need all the luck I can
get.

> You're still welcome. <G> Hope you have your new box together real soon.
> Post back when you're done.
>
> Curt.
>
> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've decided I don't need PCI express.
>>
>> Rubix
>> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
>>> Welcome.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Curt
>>> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message

Rubix

I have successfully installed my new motherboard. In spite of a few early
problems with the power switch and getting into Windows. It works like a
dream and I have a dream PC. The only problem is that the RAID connector
doesn't seem to work on my ATA 100 hard disks. I'm not complaining though. I
thought I was going to have to write off my PC a few weeks ago.

Rubix