explorer problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 3, 2005 8:44:22 PM

it seems that whenever i would like to open a link from a page explorer
performs an illegal operation and closes. it happens whenever the link is a
pop up.

i am absolutely baffled as to what the problem could be. it has come on very
suddenly i.e. ive made no major changes to my computer or settings.

im running avast anti virus (recommended by this newsgroup - thanks)

ive also got windows firewall turned on.

ive tried shutting these off with no success.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i need it solved so i can continue
my internet banking. so it is rather important

take care all

thanks in advance

More about : explorer problem

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:32:12 PM

"hawkeye uk" <rob.day1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> it seems that whenever i would like to open a link from a page explorer
> performs an illegal operation and closes. it happens whenever the link is
> pop up.
>
> i am absolutely baffled as to what the problem could be. it has come on
> very
> suddenly i.e. ive made no major changes to my computer or settings.
>
> im running avast anti virus (recommended by this newsgroup - thanks)
>
> ive also got windows firewall turned on.
>
> ive tried shutting these off with no success.
>
> any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i need it solved so i can continue
> my internet banking. so it is rather important
>
> take care all
>
> thanks in advance

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

do the usual things like scandisk etc,
check that you have not got a corrupted file or part of that ie6 needs.

mike

"hawkeye uk" <rob.day1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> it seems that whenever i would like to open a link from a page explorer
> performs an illegal operation and closes. it happens whenever the link is
> pop up.
>
> i am absolutely baffled as to what the problem could be. it has come on
very
> suddenly i.e. ive made no major changes to my computer or settings.
>
> im running avast anti virus (recommended by this newsgroup - thanks)
>
> ive also got windows firewall turned on.
>
> ive tried shutting these off with no success.
>
> any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i need it solved so i can continue
> my internet banking. so it is rather important
>
> take care all
>
> thanks in advance

March 4, 2005 8:09:19 PM

im sorry to say that i have tried the winsock method and removed all spyware
using adaware and the problem is still present.

i really appreciated the help i got from you though. it taught me a few
things for the future.

not sure what to do now though.

thanks

rob
March 4, 2005 8:09:20 PM

hawkeye uk wrote:

> im sorry to say that i have tried the winsock method and removed all
> spyware using adaware and the problem is still present.
>
> i really appreciated the help i got from you though. it taught me a
> few things for the future.
>
> not sure what to do now though.
>
> thanks
>
> rob

Rob, just for fun (hah hah), swap out your nic for a known-working one
(or modem if that is how you connect) and see if you still get the
problem.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User