SATA setup on 8KNXP rev. 2.0

OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.

I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on the
ICH5R?

Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?

I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be using
the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.
17 answers Last reply
More about sata setup 8knxp

    LOL...about 4 posts up, find my question about "hd configuration". I have
    my cd burner and dvd on ide 2.

    Np's at all:-) thanks to Tim...hehe

    Don

    "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    >
    > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    the
    > ICH5R?
    >
    > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    >
    > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    using
    > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

    Right....but consider i want to disable as much as possible in the BIOS.
    Disable the Sil2113A + GigaRAID controller.

    Now, i just want to use the ICH5R for IDE drives and either a single SATA
    drive or RAID setup.

    How does that change the picture?....i have been reading, but i hear folks
    talk about remapping drives over the IDE channel.

    Surely this defeats the purpose of running SATA devices over the ICH5R, as
    it's faster and is not linked to the PCI bus.

    "MTech" <daycareguru2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > LOL...about 4 posts up, find my question about "hd configuration". I have
    > my cd burner and dvd on ide 2.
    >
    > Np's at all:-) thanks to Tim...hehe
    >
    > Don
    >
    > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    > > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    > >
    > > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    > > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    > the
    > > ICH5R?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    > >
    > > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    > > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    > using
    > > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

    "ICH5R = On Chip SATA controller. ("On Board" is the Silicon image), Manual
    (not Auto) Config, Sata as Sata. Raid Enabled - even if you have only 1
    disc, this is called RAID Ready and enables you to activate RAID at run time
    when ready after adding another disc of course."

    Why set the On Chip SATA Controller to "manual", what happens if you set it
    to "auto"?

    Why enable RAID?...why can't you enable BASE when using a single drive?

    Boot order...Floppy, CD-ROM, SCSI....correct?
    Can you use both PATA and SATA device at once over the ICH5R?

    Why were people previously talking about remapping the SATA controller over
    the PATA?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Richard,

    See inline.....

    > "ICH5R = On Chip SATA controller. ("On Board" is the Silicon image),
    > Manual
    > (not Auto) Config, Sata as Sata. Raid Enabled - even if you have only 1
    > disc, this is called RAID Ready and enables you to activate RAID at run
    > time
    > when ready after adding another disc of course."
    >
    > Why set the On Chip SATA Controller to "manual", what happens if you set
    > it
    > to "auto"?

    What happens? It doesn't work. This is one of the 'secret' settings that if
    omitted causes people to rip hair out and scream. Set the controller To
    Manual and ensure that SATA is SATA not mapped to IDE. If you want, try it
    on Auto and watch what happens.

    > Why enable RAID?...why can't you enable BASE when using a single drive?

    'Base' = Non Raid is for the Silicon Image controller. If you are not using
    this controller, then disable it.
    If you are not using the ITE (aka Gigaraid) controller then disable it - it
    will elongate your boot time by about 22 seconds otherwise. Common opinion
    is that the ICH5R is the preferred controller as it does not run via PCI bus
    and so reduces PCI bus loading.

    For ICH5R, a single SATA drive will run as an ordinary non RAID disc, but is
    ready for RAID. See Intel's documentation - they call it Raid Ready. When
    you
    are in this state, you can just add another SATA disc and at run time
    (supposedly) go into IAA and create your Raid 0 or 1 volume with the new
    drive. The IAA / drivers aren't perfect yet & the documentation is not too
    hot, but others have been less chicken than I and ignored the warning about
    loss of data and completed a Raid Ready single drive to RAID 1 online while
    Windows XP is running.

    I suggest you review what I said about BIOS and driver versions. If you had
    a rev 1 board and an old bios, then things get a lot worse.

    If you have an old bios and / or old drivers, then you will have something
    less than described. The mobo bios contains the ICH5R RAID bios and
    integrates with the F6 installed driver determining what you can do at run
    time. EG the original bios and drivers supported only RAID 0 - striped. The
    latest RAID 0 or 1 and onine RAID rebuilds along with builds.

    > Boot order...Floppy, CD-ROM, SCSI....correct?

    Boot Order: In Advanced Bios Features (yip I rebooted just 4 u):

    HD boot priority = SCSI-0 : Intel System

    First Boot Device = HDD (there is no SCSI in the list in F10).

    In Integrated Periperals

    On Chip SATA = Manual
    SATA Port 0 as Sata Port 0

    Note: this is with bios F10 - it is clear, correct and works. I would expect
    a rev 2 board with the most recent bios to be the same. Prior to this the HD
    boot priority menu was highly likely to get garbled and in F5 it was so bad
    that it was including a randomising feature along with duplicates and
    aliens!

    > Can you use both PATA and SATA device at once over the ICH5R?

    Yes.

    If SATA is SATA then IDE works as you would expect.
    (If SATA is mapped to IDE then IDE is replaced by SATA and SATA is that IDE
    device -
    you lose the IDE channel).
    The only issue you might ever have is if you put a bootable disc on IDE.
    Refrain from doing XP installs if you have disc drives plugged into IDE and
    do not have any form of 'Disc Drive' other than the installed HDD connected
    during install EG Secure Digital and other card drive adapter devices as
    they map disc drive letters and your C drive may end up being F: or
    something odd. Remove them during install...

    > Why were people previously talking about remapping the SATA controller
    > over
    > the PATA?

    You would only ever remap SATA to PATA (IE it replaces one of the IDE ports)
    if

    a) you had devices that would not work when connected as SATA (EG a IDE CD
    Rewriter via a PATA SATA converter, but I think that would be a senseless
    thing to do....)

    b) you were running an OS that had no driver support for SATA EG DOS, Win95
    etc. Unix's

    c) easy way out to get it going particularly on the earlier bios's.

    - Tim
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Excellent info Tim, can you explain other settings..settings that appear in
    the advance BIOS option.

    Options like:

    PSB Parking

    Full Screen LOGO Show

    Intel OnScreen Branding

    SCSI/RAID Cntrl Boot Order --> if i disable on onboard Sil3122A and GigaRAID
    controller...do these disappear?

    What above effect boot time, like those logos...do they effect boot time
    when disabled?

    I want to disable everything possible, game port, midi port, CIR port, H/W
    Lan, Parallel and Serial ports.

    What other advance BIOS options appear?,
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Thanks also Tim.

    Don

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c7mnbv$e78$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> [...]
    > during install EG Secure Digital and other card drive adapter devices as
    > they map disc drive letters and your C drive may end up being F: or
    > something odd. Remove them during install...
    >
    > > Why were people previously talking about remapping the SATA controller
    > > over
    > > the PATA?
    >
    > You would only ever remap SATA to PATA (IE it replaces one of the IDE
    ports)
    > if
    >
    > a) you had devices that would not work when connected as SATA (EG a IDE CD
    > Rewriter via a PATA SATA converter, but I think that would be a senseless
    > thing to do....)
    >
    > b) you were running an OS that had no driver support for SATA EG DOS,
    Win95
    > etc. Unix's
    >
    > c) easy way out to get it going particularly on the earlier bios's.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

    Which of the following files should i download?...update the BIOS for ITE
    etc?

    I won't be using them, but i like to have all the latest BIOS and drivers in
    case i need them.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Inline...

    > Excellent info Tim, can you explain other settings..settings that appear
    > in
    > the advance BIOS option.
    >
    > Options like:
    >
    > PSB Parking

    Pass.

    > Full Screen LOGO Show

    This is the Gigabyte logo that you will have seen on first boot. I keep mine
    off as I like to see the boot process. It has no effect that I am aware of
    on boot itme.

    > Intel OnScreen Branding

    Not 100% sure, but I think this suppresses the extra logos that appear when
    the above is off. No effect on boot time.
    Have a play with these and perhaps benchmark if you feel inclined and post
    back.

    > SCSI/RAID Cntrl Boot Order --> if i disable on onboard Sil3122A and
    > GigaRAID
    > controller...do these disappear?

    I have SIL and Gigaraid disabled and they are not in the Boot Order menu -
    again rev 1 board and bios F10.
    Gigaraid adds 22 seconds to boot time - it is painfully slow.
    SIL adds a little time and is nowhere near as bad as Gigaraid.
    ICH5R adds about 2 seconds once it is configured so long as things are OK.
    More when not configured, or when a disc has failed.
    If you are going to setup RAID 1 then try some failure scenarios. EG pull
    the power on one of the drives (when the system is OFF of course) and see
    what happens. Basically, it is exactly what you would expect. If RAID 0 then
    Do Not do that!

    > What above effect boot time, like those logos...do they effect boot time
    > when disabled?

    See above.

    > I want to disable everything possible, game port, midi port, CIR port, H/W
    > Lan, Parallel and Serial ports.

    Disable everything you do not need including IDE channels. This will free up
    IRQ's - not that this will make any difference, and may make life easier
    later EG troublesome graphics cards that don't like IRQ sharing. Do not
    forget you have things disabled in bios later as you may then have trouble
    getting EG LAN going... Be careful to test all peripherals you are going to
    disable before you do: you do not want to find that COM1 (for example) does
    not work in 2 years time when you need it and have lost the warrantee
    period.

    > What other advance BIOS options appear?

    Try Control F1 and have a look. RTM. Most is for "show" and rare needs. IE
    if you want to get your system stable & 100% you will have little cause to
    go into the advanced settings except perhaps memory voltage (?). Its just
    one of those things. Some people see a setting and feel compelled to change
    it and stuff things up in the process. Chances are unless you do
    benchmarking and test methodically you will not experience any increased
    performance by tinkering with advanced options. For me, "optimium
    performance" does not work and reportedly does not work often IE you may
    need faster RAM for this and to not use SATA discs.

    There is a web site somewhere where all the odd settings are documented.
    Perhaps someone can chip in with its location?

    I gave up overclocking as I benchmarked everything as I went - used various
    benchmark programs + stopwatch on long running tasks I have (EG a full C++
    compile of a large project, database slice and dice functions) and found
    little difference when overclocking to the point where when left with the
    question of "How much less stable stable is the system?" 10% CPU isn't much
    at all and barely noticeable. 25% is not too noticeable either. I reverted
    to Stock settings and have been there since. Stability is more important to
    me. Personally, I really would like a big boost in performance, but dual
    opteron 248's aren't enough to make me move yet - I already have a dual
    server.

    Regards,
    - Tim
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Rev 1: IT8212F. This is no doubt the same on Rev2 since others state that
    the only major change between the two is the sound chip.

    See:
    http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

    If you are not going to use them any time soon then I would skip these but
    note that there are updates available.

    There is a bit of history to the ITE controller:
    1st issue version: dead slow on boot, poor performance, many complained in
    this NG.
    would not support non HDD devices
    subsequent versions:
    general ATA device support became available
    performnace improved
    ATA device support disappeared.

    Looks like there are now 2 options for the firmware: with non HD support and
    without.
    Perhaps given time they will sort all of this out and provide 1 unified set
    of firmware + 1 driver that supports all combos.

    - Tim

    > http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller
    >
    > Which of the following files should i download?...update the BIOS for ITE
    > etc?
    >
    > I won't be using them, but i like to have all the latest BIOS and drivers
    > in
    > case i need them.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Richard,

    I believe this is what "PSB Parking" actually is,

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/hdd/hdd5/3.shtml

    My 8KNXP does not like it, doesn't like Delayed Transaction enabled either. I use the "Performance" settings with the exception of the preceding & RAM V +.1, and timings set to OCZ's specs for my RAM. VERY stable, Sandra around 4550. Love the board! I currently have only 2 HDs on IDE 1 though so I can't help with anything else.

    umm.....

    Richard

    Tim wrote:
> [...]
    > need faster RAM for this and to not use SATA discs.
    >
    > There is a web site somewhere where all the odd settings are documented.
    > Perhaps someone can chip in with its location?
    >
    > I gave up overclocking as I benchmarked everything as I went - used various
    > benchmark programs + stopwatch on long running tasks I have (EG a full C++
    > compile of a large project, database slice and dice functions) and found
    > little difference when overclocking to the point where when left with the
    > question of "How much less stable stable is the system?" 10% CPU isn't much
    > at all and barely noticeable. 25% is not too noticeable either. I reverted
    > to Stock settings and have been there since. Stability is more important to
    > me. Personally, I really would like a big boost in performance, but dual
    > opteron 248's aren't enough to make me move yet - I already have a dual

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Rick" <yamist@tiac.net> wrote in message
    > Richard,
    >
    > I believe this is what "PSB Parking" actually is,
    >

    > http://www.lostcircuits.com/hdd/hdd5/3.shtml

    Thanks Tim, i've had a bizarre experience recently, i am in the process of
    upgrading my PC. 8KNXP...not sure what revision will arrive as yet, 3.2GHz
    Northwood, 800MHz FSB, and 1GB Corsair 3200LLPT revision 1.2

    SPD data for the memory is 2-3-2-6, or it's supposed to me....my current
    motherboard is a GA-8INXP, 2.53GHz CPU with 533FSB.

    I was always able to overclock this boards stable to DDR310, 155MHz FSB,
    2.95GHz...but i was using 512MB Corsair 3200LLPT, revision 1.1 with SPD data
    of 2-2-2-5.

    Problem is, the new revision 1.2 memory will do 2-2-2-5 by SPD, but it will
    not overclock at all for me, anything higher then the default FSB of 266MHz
    and it goes completely unstable and goes banannas.

    It's freaking me out, i know the memory is different, different revisions,
    yet the SPD for both revisions is exactly the same in the BIOS, yet the new
    memory will not allow me to overclock?

    I just hope that the new memory at least works at SPD @ 800MHz FSB...i know
    i won't be able to overclock.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Another question for Tim:-)

    I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said. I'm
    a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100 WD
    drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    performance difference is VERY minimal.

    I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!! Perhaps
    when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then. I
    believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working properly.

    Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?

    Thanks again for all your help,
    Don

    "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    >
    > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    the
    > ICH5R?
    >
    > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    >
    > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    using
    > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I think I found my answer.....a SATA drive is no faster than a IDE drive.
    The advantage is when one goes to LARGE drives.

    I needed another drive anyway (toasted my 2nd Deskstar)so it's not wasted
    money. When I have more time to piddle, I'll get a 2nd raptor and configure
    a raid....which should be a REAL treat for me. Glad I have 4 other puters
    networked in the house here...so I can back up data!!!

    Don

    "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Another question for Tim:-)
    >
    > I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said.
    I'm
    > a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100
    WD
    > drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    > performance difference is VERY minimal.
    >
    > I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!! Perhaps
    > when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then. I
    > believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working properly.
    >
    > Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help,
    > Don
    >
    > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    > > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    > >
    > > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    > > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    > the
    > > ICH5R?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    > >
    > > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    > > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    > using
    > > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Another question for Tim:-)
    >
    > I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said.
    I'm
    > a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100
    WD
    > drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    > performance difference is VERY minimal.
    >
    > I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!! Perhaps
    > when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then. I
    > believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working properly.
    >
    > Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help,
    > Don

    I haven't benched marked my 74GB Raptor, but i can see from large file
    transfers and burning it's alot faster. It's able to access data off the
    disc quicker. Burning is much smoother.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Don,

    Glad to hear it works.

    Your WD drive should run like a screamer. However under normal use you may
    not notice much difference - it depends on what you do with it and what you
    are used to.

    WD drives show marked improvements in seeks, transfers / sec, and a less
    noticeable improvement in transfer speed. Windows XP boot for example is
    improved enormously by Raptors with the latest (74GB?) being the top
    performer (including ULTRA 320 SCSI).

    If you run disc intensive tasks then the performance improvement will be
    noticeable particular database style work that can require a lot of seeks
    and IO's. For normal file open / copy work possibly not a lot.

    With RAID you will get further improvement - how much depends on the RAID
    type and controller, but I suggest your research benchmarks and be aware of
    where the improvements are.

    The only improvement large drives give over older ones in terms of
    performance is that larger ones tend to be more modern, have higher
    densities (not always) and so achieve higher transfer rates. Sometimes they
    seek faster too. This is a progressive thing - I still use some SCSI 2 discs
    that spin at 5400 RPM and transfer at less than 5MBs - and they were quick
    in their day.... and expensive as heck (try $1800 for one of them).

    - Tim

    "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Another question for Tim:-)
    >
    > I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said.
    > I'm
    > a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100
    > WD
    > drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    > performance difference is VERY minimal.
    >
    > I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!! Perhaps
    > when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then. I
    > believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working properly.
    >
    > Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help,
    > Don
    >
    > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    >> have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    >>
    >> I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    >> up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    > the
    >> ICH5R?
    >>
    >> Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    >> And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    >>
    >> I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    >> exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    > using
    >> the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    When I installed a WD360GD (36gb) to replace a 160 Maxtor, my Sandra
    benchmark was lower (worse), but real performance is noticeably better. Not
    sure why Sandra doesn't reflect the improved performance.

    "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Another question for Tim:-)
    >
    > I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said.
    I'm
    > a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100
    WD
    > drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    > performance difference is VERY minimal.
    >
    > I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!! Perhaps
    > when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then. I
    > believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working properly.
    >
    > Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help,
    > Don
    >
    > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon gonna
    > > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    > >
    > > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them all
    > > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor on
    > the
    > > ICH5R?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    > >
    > > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on what
    > > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    > using
    > > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Thanks all....guess I'm on the right track:-)

    Don

    "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    > When I installed a WD360GD (36gb) to replace a 160 Maxtor, my Sandra
    > benchmark was lower (worse), but real performance is noticeably better.
    Not
    > sure why Sandra doesn't reflect the improved performance.
    >

    > "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Another question for Tim:-)
    > >
    > > I've installed my raptor using the ata cable and attached as you said.
    > I'm
    > > a little disappointed in the performance when compared to my old ata 100
    > WD
    > > drive that I just disconnected. I'm using Sandra just to test and the
    > > performance difference is VERY minimal.
    > >
    > > I expected a little more from a SATA drive spinning 10,000 rpms!!
    Perhaps
    > > when I double them and configure a raid setup I'll see something then.
    > > believe I did everything correct, all drivers seem to be working
    properly.

    > > Does this performance gain from ata100 to SATA sound about right?
    > >
    > > Thanks again for all your help,
    > > Don
    > >
    > > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > OK, i have no doubt this question has been asked before. I am soon
    gonna
    > > > have an 8KNXP rev. 2 board and will be using a single WD Raptor 74GB.
    > > >
    > > > I also have a Plextor burner and DVD drive. So how should i set them
    all
    > > > up?, should i use the Intel IDE 1 for the optical drives + the Raptor
    on
    > > the
    > > > ICH5R?
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know the exact BIOS setup and boot order nesscary?
    > > > And if i wanted to RAID two Raptors in future....how would i do it?
    > > >
    > > > I have google and been reading this NG for ages, but information on
    what
    > > > exactly to do within the BIOS is sketchy at best. Also note i will be
    > > using
    > > > the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.

Gigabyte Motherboards