USB Storage Device not functoning

Hi

I have an Easy Disk 512MB USB Storage Device which works absolutely fine on
all PCs at work (which are Windows 2000 and XP). However it does not work on
my XP Professional PC at home.
When I plug it into my home pc you get the Windows XP Hardware Insert sound
(meaning the device has been detected). It takes about a minute for it to be
assigned a drive letter which is odd as it is more or less instant at work.
It finally gets assigned a drive letter (in this case F) with the title
Removable Disk. This all seems good so far. However when you click on the
device in My Computer you get the following message "Please insert a disk
into drive F".
I have checked the device in Device Manager and there is NO exclamation mark
against it (it is under the title Storage Volumes, Generic Volume). It
actually says "this device is working properly".
I am absolutely stumped with this. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks

ithilla
2 answers Last reply
More about storage device functoning

    I'm having an almost identical problem with my HandySteno HC202 1 gig USB
    storage device, except that instead of telling me to "insert a disk into
    drive S," a new Explorer window opens (thanks to AutoPlay correctly
    recognizing insertion of the device) but it displays the contents of the
    drive as being totally BLANK. As with your device, mine works fine on my
    laptop and on my office PC and there are no conflicts or errors in Device
    Manager. Reinstalling the driver is also not applicable, as the
    manufacturer does not provide an XP driver since XP natively supports the
    device. My problem started when I connected the HandySteno and another USB
    flash drive at the same time, intending to copy data from the old to the new
    device. While the second USB flash drive (a Cruzer 512 MB drive) continues
    to work flawlessly, Windows continues to show the HandySteno as a blank
    (empty) drive. My computer is only 6 months old but HP says it's not a
    supported issue. They claimed that the computer works as it should -- that
    it assigns a drive letter and that AutoPlay works. As for why it won't show
    the contents of the drive, they offered no answer. I have a feeling the
    problem lies in the way Windows issues/reserves drive letters. I'm going to
    call Microsoft this evening; I'll post tomorrow if any results.

    "ithilla" <ithilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

    I tried my flash drive again and got exactly the same problem as you this
    time - the contents of the drive being totally blank when there are several
    files in there!! Did you manage to get word from MS??

    "BVIPrincess" wrote:

    > I'm having an almost identical problem with my HandySteno HC202 1 gig USB
    > storage device, except that instead of telling me to "insert a disk into
    > drive S," a new Explorer window opens (thanks to AutoPlay correctly
    > recognizing insertion of the device) but it displays the contents of the
    > drive as being totally BLANK. As with your device, mine works fine on my
    > laptop and on my office PC and there are no conflicts or errors in Device
    > Manager. Reinstalling the driver is also not applicable, as the
    > manufacturer does not provide an XP driver since XP natively supports the
    > device. My problem started when I connected the HandySteno and another USB
    > flash drive at the same time, intending to copy data from the old to the new
    > device. While the second USB flash drive (a Cruzer 512 MB drive) continues
    > to work flawlessly, Windows continues to show the HandySteno as a blank
    > (empty) drive. My computer is only 6 months old but HP says it's not a
    > supported issue. They claimed that the computer works as it should -- that
    > it assigns a drive letter and that AutoPlay works. As for why it won't show
    > the contents of the drive, they offered no answer. I have a feeling the
    > problem lies in the way Windows issues/reserves drive letters. I'm going to
    > call Microsoft this evening; I'll post tomorrow if any results.
    >
    > "ithilla" <ithilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an Easy Disk 512MB USB Storage Device which works absolutely fine on
    > all PCs at work (which are Windows 2000 and XP). However it does not work on
    > my XP Professional PC at home. When I plug it into my home pc you get the
    > Windows XP Hardware Insert sound (meaning the device has been detected). It
    > takes about a minute for it to be assigned a drive letter which is odd as it
    > is more or less instant at work. It finally gets assigned a drive letter
    > (in this case F) with the title Removable Disk. This all seems good so far.
    > However when you click on the device in My Computer you get the following
    > message "Please insert a disk into drive F". I have checked the device in
    > Device Manager and there is NO exclamation mark against it (it is under the
    > title Storage Volumes, Generic Volume). It actually says "this device is
    > working properly". I am absolutely stumped with this. Can anyone please
    > help me?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ithilla

Storage Devices Windows XP