Not sure if its hardware or software

I am having trouble copying files to a CD-R and CDRW on my computer. It
starts and then give me an error page and says it can't copy the files. I
have done this with pictures, with word files, and with music. My CD-RW
drive is kinda old so not sure if that is the problem or not.
It is a IOMEGA ZIPCD 4x650. Would this be the problem or would it be
software? For Software I am using the regular MSN program. I tried ROXIO
but my computer totally screwed up and thank heavens to Norton "GO Back" I
managed to get it working again. To record the music, I am using MSN Media
Player. Any help or info will be appreciated.

I keep getting the following error page:

CANNOT COMPLETE THE CD WRITING WIZARD
There was an error in the CD writing process. The disc may no longer be
useable.

And I don't have a clue what an event viewer report is...

"Gomezy3k" <Gomezy3k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having trouble copying files to a CD-R and CDRW on my computer. It
> starts and then give me an error page and says it can't copy the files. I
> have done this with pictures, with word files, and with music. My CD-RW
> drive is kinda old so not sure if that is the problem or not.
> It is a IOMEGA ZIPCD 4x650. Would this be the problem or would it be
> software? For Software I am using the regular MSN program. I tried ROXIO
> but my computer totally screwed up and thank heavens to Norton "GO Back" I
> managed to get it working again. To record the music, I am using MSN Media
> Player. Any help or info will be appreciated.

- What exactly is the error message (verbatim, please!)?
- What does the Event Viewer report?

> I keep getting the following error page:
>
> CANNOT COMPLETE THE CD WRITING WIZARD
> There was an error in the CD writing process. The disc may no longer be
> useable.
>
> And I don't have a clue what an event viewer report is...

Start / Help / Search tab / type Event Viewer /
click "Using Event Viewer"

I opened it using your info and cleared everything and then tried to burn a
CD and this is what was on there. Not sure what it all means...

---------------------
Application
Wuauclt (3692) The database engine stopped
Wuaueng.dll (3692) SUSClientDatastore: The database engine stopped the
instance (0)

System
Properties
! Information 11/10/2004 6:59:24AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service entered the stopped state.
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control

> I opened it using your info and cleared everything and then tried to
burn a
> CD and this is what was on there. Not sure what it all means...
>
> ---------------------
> Application
> Wuauclt (3692) The database engine stopped
> Wuaueng.dll (3692) SUSClientDatastore: The database engine stopped the
> instance (0)
>
> System
> Properties
> ! Information 11/10/2004 6:59:24AM Service Control Manager None 7036
N/A
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service entered the stopped state.
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start
control
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service entered the stopped state
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state
> The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start
control

I have never seen these messages before. If this was my PC then
I would do this:

1. Uninstall, then re-install the CD burner software. If unsuccessful -
2. Purchase a new CD burner, with Nero software. It costs very little.

Well since I don't have any CD burner software...used the Windows drivers for
it... so I think probably the best thing would be to get a new Burner... The
one i have is pretty old...2000 (or maybe even before that)...I have swapped
it over in 3 computer rebuilds so guess its time to get a new one... Thanks
for the help...I did learn a lot...never knew about the Event Viewer
thing...thats cool...

>"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I have never seen these messages before. If this was my PC then
> I would do this:
>
> 1. Uninstall, then re-install the CD burner software. If unsuccessful -
> 2. Purchase a new CD burner, with Nero software. It costs very little.

Hi
im using nero 6 and i used to burn many dvds but now when ever i want to
burn something it says not enough space on c dive i`ve check my c drive but
it showed nothing but only the system files and its almost ful the massage is
its like that dont have enough space on c\doucments~user\locals~\temp when i
chechk my c drive its only shows user not local setting or temp

try reading this site
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0007.aspx
Microsoft Windows Media - Media Advice Archive: Burning a CD
.... There may not be enough free storage space on your ... Free up enough
space on your hard
disk drive, or ... tab, select a drive with adequate disk space that Windows
www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/
knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0007.aspx - 31k - Cached - Similar pages