Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I move files to my new PC?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:15:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

A dear friend just purchased a new computer running Windows XP for his
business.

As an experienced software engineer he asked me to help him 'everything'
from his old computer running Windows 98.

Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs.

So is it correct to assume that going to Start > All Programs > Accessories
> System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is of little help. It is
my understanding that this is used primarily (if not exclusively) for
transferring settings/data for Windows applications only like IE, OE and
perhaps Word & Excel.

So I have to wonder how do I transfer non-Windows applications (including
Registry settings)?

Aren't there some kind of programs out there for 'ghosting' the hard drive
from one PC to another?

If so, will they work for the scenario I have just described? And if they
do, is there a problem if the NEW hard drive is partitioned for ONE drive
only (i.e. drive C:) ?

Thank you for your time.

Michael T.

More about : move files

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Answered in newusers.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST post to multiple newsgroups, at least cross-post
rather than multi-post.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me


"Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
news:eN5DlvtxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> A dear friend just purchased a new computer running Windows XP for his
> business.
>
> As an experienced software engineer he asked me to help him 'everything'
> from his old computer running Windows 98.
>
> Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs.
>
> So is it correct to assume that going to Start > All Programs >
Accessories
> > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is of little help. It
is
> my understanding that this is used primarily (if not exclusively) for
> transferring settings/data for Windows applications only like IE, OE and
> perhaps Word & Excel.
>
> So I have to wonder how do I transfer non-Windows applications (including
> Registry settings)?
>
> Aren't there some kind of programs out there for 'ghosting' the hard drive
> from one PC to another?
>
> If so, will they work for the scenario I have just described? And if they
> do, is there a problem if the NEW hard drive is partitioned for ONE drive
> only (i.e. drive C:) ?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Michael T.
>
>
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
news:eN5DlvtxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> A dear friend just purchased a new computer running Windows XP for his
> business.
>
> As an experienced software engineer he asked me to help him 'everything'
> from his old computer running Windows 98.
>
> Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs.
>
> So is it correct to assume that going to Start > All Programs >
Accessories
> > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is of little help. It
is
> my understanding that this is used primarily (if not exclusively) for
> transferring settings/data for Windows applications only like IE, OE and
> perhaps Word & Excel.
>
> So I have to wonder how do I transfer non-Windows applications (including
> Registry settings)?
>
> Aren't there some kind of programs out there for 'ghosting' the hard drive
> from one PC to another?
>
> If so, will they work for the scenario I have just described? And if they
> do, is there a problem if the NEW hard drive is partitioned for ONE drive
> only (i.e. drive C:) ?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Michael T.
>
>

Try these links:

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q249694

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q29217...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

By the way: What's a "non-windows application"?
Related resources
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o m$s%239txEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>
> By the way: What's a "non-windows application"?
>

Oops! I meant non-Microsoft.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:51:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Michael T wrote:
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> news:o m$s%239txEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> By the way: What's a "non-windows application"?
>>
>
> Oops! I meant non-Microsoft.


What do /you/ reckon it is?! Go on - take a wild stab in the dark!
--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
lose his marbles?
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:55:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Michael T wrote:
> A dear friend just purchased a new computer running Windows XP for his
> business.
>
> As an experienced software engineer he asked me to help him
> 'everything' from his old computer running Windows 98.
>
> Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs.
>
> So is it correct to assume that going to Start > All Programs >
> Accessories
>> System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is of little help.
>> It is
> my understanding that this is used primarily (if not exclusively) for
> transferring settings/data for Windows applications only like IE, OE
> and perhaps Word & Excel.
>
> So I have to wonder how do I transfer non-Windows applications
> (including Registry settings)?
>
> Aren't there some kind of programs out there for 'ghosting' the hard
> drive from one PC to another?
>
> If so, will they work for the scenario I have just described? And if
> they do, is there a problem if the NEW hard drive is partitioned for
> ONE drive only (i.e. drive C:) ?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Michael T.


I'm afraid imaging applications would *NOT* help in this situation, because
it would take an image of the drive on the existing system, along with all
the hardware and driver settings which, obviously, wouldn't be correct for
the new system. So, no, there isn't.

If the software he's missing the discs for came with the old system then
it's OEM and OEM licences are non-transferable (and this doesn't just apply
to MS software). He's going to need to purchase the software he needs for
his new system.

--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
lose his marbles?
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:55:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
news:zRxkd.9424$mu4.8924@fe48.usenetserver.com...
>
> If the software he's missing the discs for came with the old system then
> it's OEM and OEM licenses are non-transferable (and this doesn't just
> apply to MS software). He's going to need to purchase the software he
> needs for his new system.
>

Oh! You are so right. I forgot all about this other 'gotcha'.

As you seem to imply programs such as newer versions of Microsoft Office can
only be installed on ONE computer.
November 11, 2004 12:06:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have used this type of transfer before and the new computer worked just
like the old one, without re-installing everything again. You check out the
web page at:

http://sewelldirect.com/FastLynxHomePage.asp?kid=-60991...

and, I do not work for this group. It isn't cheap but it works. I just
started the transfer before I went to bed and it was finished by the time I
got up the next morning.


"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
news:zRxkd.9424$mu4.8924@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> Michael T wrote:
>> A dear friend just purchased a new computer running Windows XP for his
>> business.
>>
>> As an experienced software engineer he asked me to help him
>> 'everything' from his old computer running Windows 98.
>>
>> Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs.
>>
>> So is it correct to assume that going to Start > All Programs >
>> Accessories
>>> System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is of little help.
>>> It is
>> my understanding that this is used primarily (if not exclusively) for
>> transferring settings/data for Windows applications only like IE, OE
>> and perhaps Word & Excel.
>>
>> So I have to wonder how do I transfer non-Windows applications
>> (including Registry settings)?
>>
>> Aren't there some kind of programs out there for 'ghosting' the hard
>> drive from one PC to another?
>>
>> If so, will they work for the scenario I have just described? And if
>> they do, is there a problem if the NEW hard drive is partitioned for
>> ONE drive only (i.e. drive C:) ?
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Michael T.
>
>
> I'm afraid imaging applications would *NOT* help in this situation,
> because it would take an image of the drive on the existing system, along
> with all the hardware and driver settings which, obviously, wouldn't be
> correct for the new system. So, no, there isn't.
>
> If the software he's missing the discs for came with the old system then
> it's OEM and OEM licences are non-transferable (and this doesn't just
> apply to MS software). He's going to need to purchase the software he
> needs for his new system.
>
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?
>
>
!