WinXP Doesn't Recognize Hardware

When I plug a WinXP compatible device into my USB port my system sees the
device but categorizes it as an 'Unknown Device". Repeated efforts to
manually select the correct drivers have fail (the oem web cite does not
provide separate drivers because it's winxp compatible and therefore the
system is suppose to recognize it). Any suggestions? Thanks

Two things come to mind.

1) Have you installed either SP1 or SP2, because I seem to recall you need
an "SP" for USB2.0 support. Assuming of course that you even need USB2.0
support.

2) Do you have another USB device (like a printer) using another USB port
successfully? If yes try it on the USB port in question to see if it is
recognized?

"Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I plug a WinXP compatible device into my USB port my system sees the
> device but categorizes it as an 'Unknown Device". Repeated efforts to
> manually select the correct drivers have fail (the oem web cite does not
> provide separate drivers because it's winxp compatible and therefore the
> system is suppose to recognize it). Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks for the reply. SP2 is installed and yes I've connected other devices
to the usb ports, all is in order and working fine. For some reason my
system will just not recognize the usb 2.0 high-speed hub. As background,
my system use to recognize the hub but for some reason it suddenly stopped
(I verified the hub is still good by hooking it to a different computer
where it works fine). I'm completely baffled and confused at this problem.
Thanks again.

"Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
> Two things come to mind.
>
> 1) Have you installed either SP1 or SP2, because I seem to recall you need
> an "SP" for USB2.0 support. Assuming of course that you even need USB2.0
> support.
>
> 2) Do you have another USB device (like a printer) using another USB port
> successfully? If yes try it on the USB port in question to see if it is
> recognized?
>

> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I plug a WinXP compatible device into my USB port my system sees the
>> device but categorizes it as an 'Unknown Device". Repeated efforts to
>> manually select the correct drivers have fail (the oem web cite does not
>> provide separate drivers because it's winxp compatible and therefore the
>> system is suppose to recognize it). Any suggestions? Thanks

"Baffled and confused"! Make that 2 of us. My USB devices 1.1 and 2 were
working perfectly until I upgraded to WinXP SP2. Now my USB 2 devices work
when they feel like it. About 2% of the time. I have tried just about every
combination but have yet to figure out why about 2% of the time I plug my
external USB 120Gb HDD it works.

I get same error "Unknown Device". If I go into Device Manager and disable
the Enhanced Host controller, it sees the HDD but as a 1.1 device and it
"smartly" tells me it would work faster if I plugged it in a USB 2 port.

This site is filled with SP2 - USB2 issues. I wish Microsoft would look at
this forum once in a while. Sorry for my whining, but I'm hoping sharing
some of this info would light a bulb in someone that could help resolve
this.

Lucio

> Thanks for the reply. SP2 is installed and yes I've connected other
> devices to the usb ports, all is in order and working fine. For some
> reason my system will just not recognize the usb 2.0 high-speed hub. As
> background, my system use to recognize the hub but for some reason it
> suddenly stopped (I verified the hub is still good by hooking it to a
> different computer where it works fine). I'm completely baffled and
> confused at this problem. Thanks again.
>

> "Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Two things come to mind.
>>
>> 1) Have you installed either SP1 or SP2, because I seem to recall you
>> need an "SP" for USB2.0 support. Assuming of course that you even need
>> USB2.0 support.
>>
>> 2) Do you have another USB device (like a printer) using another USB port
>> successfully? If yes try it on the USB port in question to see if it is
>> recognized?
>>

>> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I plug a WinXP compatible device into my USB port my system sees
>>> the device but categorizes it as an 'Unknown Device". Repeated efforts
>>> to manually select the correct drivers have fail (the oem web cite does
>>> not provide separate drivers because it's winxp compatible and therefore
>>> the system is suppose to recognize it). Any suggestions? Thanks

Install the motherboard chipset drivers, for your specific motherbaord.

"Lucio Cicuto" <lucio.cicuto@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Baffled and confused"! Make that 2 of us. My USB devices 1.1 and 2 were
> working perfectly until I upgraded to WinXP SP2. Now my USB 2 devices work
> when they feel like it. About 2% of the time. I have tried just about
> every combination but have yet to figure out why about 2% of the time I
> plug my external USB 120Gb HDD it works.
>
> I get same error "Unknown Device". If I go into Device Manager and disable
> the Enhanced Host controller, it sees the HDD but as a 1.1 device and it
> "smartly" tells me it would work faster if I plugged it in a USB 2 port.
>
> This site is filled with SP2 - USB2 issues. I wish Microsoft would look at
> this forum once in a while. Sorry for my whining, but I'm hoping sharing
> some of this info would light a bulb in someone that could help resolve
> this.
>
> Lucio
>
> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply. SP2 is installed and yes I've connected other
>> devices to the usb ports, all is in order and working fine. For some
>> reason my system will just not recognize the usb 2.0 high-speed hub. As
>> background, my system use to recognize the hub but for some reason it
>> suddenly stopped (I verified the hub is still good by hooking it to a
>> different computer where it works fine). I'm completely baffled and
>> confused at this problem. Thanks again.
>>

>> "Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Two things come to mind.
>>>
>>> 1) Have you installed either SP1 or SP2, because I seem to recall you
>>> need an "SP" for USB2.0 support. Assuming of course that you even need
>>> USB2.0 support.
>>>
>>> 2) Do you have another USB device (like a printer) using another USB
>>> port successfully? If yes try it on the USB port in question to see if
>>> it is recognized?
>>>

>>> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I did that. I tried all the other tips suggested by other members here. I
removed ALL USB devices, plugged them back in, etc. No help. Everything I
seem to read, including documentation that comes with the hardware is that
no drivers are needed. They are included with WinXP.

This really appears to be a Plug-N-Play issue with recognizing USB devices.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Lucio

> Install the motherboard chipset drivers, for your specific motherbaord.
>

> "Lucio Cicuto" <lucio.cicuto@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> "Baffled and confused"! Make that 2 of us. My USB devices 1.1 and 2 were
>> working perfectly until I upgraded to WinXP SP2. Now my USB 2 devices
>> work when they feel like it. About 2% of the time. I have tried just
>> about every combination but have yet to figure out why about 2% of the
>> time I plug my external USB 120Gb HDD it works.
>>
>> I get same error "Unknown Device". If I go into Device Manager and
>> disable the Enhanced Host controller, it sees the HDD but as a 1.1 device
>> and it "smartly" tells me it would work faster if I plugged it in a USB 2
>> port.
>>
>> This site is filled with SP2 - USB2 issues. I wish Microsoft would look
>> at this forum once in a while. Sorry for my whining, but I'm hoping
>> sharing some of this info would light a bulb in someone that could help
>> resolve this.
>>
>> Lucio
>>
>> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply. SP2 is installed and yes I've connected other
>>> devices to the usb ports, all is in order and working fine. For some
>>> reason my system will just not recognize the usb 2.0 high-speed hub. As
>>> background, my system use to recognize the hub but for some reason it
>>> suddenly stopped (I verified the hub is still good by hooking it to a
>>> different computer where it works fine). I'm completely baffled and
>>> confused at this problem. Thanks again.
>>>

>>> "Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message

Thanks for the suggestion, I did as you said and found the only hidden item
was something totally unrelated to the usb. The end result of this process
brought me right back to where I started, my hub is an unknown device.
Thanks again. Brian