COM1 not available

November 10, 2004 7:15:50 PM

Hi all,
I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
program.
I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
program is using the com port.

regards

Jon Erlendsson

More about : com1

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:15:51 PM

Start here:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.

Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?

r.

"Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
> But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
> program.
> I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
> program is using the com port.
>
> regards
>
> Jon Erlendsson

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 1:05:16 PM

Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK

Jón

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> Start here:
>
> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
>
> Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
>
> r.
>

> "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
>> But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
>> program.
>> I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
>> program is using the com port.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Jon Erlendsson

November 11, 2004 1:05:17 PM

Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as a
serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
*hijacking* the port.

HTH
Chris A. Kusmierz

> Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>
> Jón
>
> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> > Start here:
> >
> > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
> >
> > Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
> >
> > r.
> >

> > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >> I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
> >> But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
> >> program.
> >> I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
> >> program is using the com port.
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Jon Erlendsson

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 1:05:18 PM

Chris Kusmierz wrote:
> Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial
> pointing device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting
> serial data as a serial pointing device and automatically installing
> drivers, thereby *hijacking* the port.
>
> HTH
> Chris A. Kusmierz
>
> "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
>> Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>>
>> Jón
>>
>> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>>> Start here:
>>>
>>> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
>>>
>>> Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
>>>
>>> r.
>>>

>>> "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message

Windows "acquires" the port. "Hijacking" has such a, well, negative
connotation.

November 11, 2004 6:39:57 PM

There are no serial pointing devices in the Device Manager and I am running
W2K.

Jon

"Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
> Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
> device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as
> serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
> *hijacking* the port.
>
> HTH
> Chris A. Kusmierz
>
> "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
>> Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>>
>> Jón
>>
>> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>> > Start here:
>> >
>> > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
>> >
>> > Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
>> >
>> > r.
>> >

>> > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 3:43:27 AM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:05:16 -0000, "Jon Erlendsson"
<jonerl@krabb.is> wrote:

>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK

Do you have any "hot sync" applications on the computer?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 10:17:16 AM

Not that I know of. What is a #hot sync" application?

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> skrifaði í
boðafréttum:419406e3.583834669@news.comporium.net...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:05:16 -0000, "Jon Erlendsson"
> <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote:
>
>>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>
> Do you have any "hot sync" applications on the computer?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:23:25 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:17:16 -0000, "MSNews" <jone@hugvis.com>
wrote:

>Not that I know of. What is a #hot sync" application?

They are applications that are for connecting PDAs and such to
the computer for transfering data and such via the serial port.

>>>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>>
>> Do you have any "hot sync" applications on the computer?

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:20:46 PM

You probably should post in the Windows 2000 hardware NG instead of the
XP group. The installation most likely required that the "drivers" be
installed on the system "BEFORE" the device was seen connected to the
port. I suggest contacting the vendor for the appropriate installation
instructions for your hardware and operating system, and following them
for best results.

Jon Erlendsson wrote:

> There are no serial pointing devices in the Device Manager and I am running
> W2K.
>
> Jon
>
> "Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
>
>>Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
>>device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as
>>serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
>>*hijacking* the port.
>>
>>HTH
>>Chris A. Kusmierz
>>
>>"Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
>>
>>>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
>>>
>>>Jón
>>>
>>>"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:36:13 PM

I'm sort of having the same issue...I need to attach a USB to Serial
Converter for a radio that must be connected to either COM 1 or COM 2 and i
can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this? When I plug in to a USB
port it automatically assigns COM 4-7 but not 1-3?? Is there a way to
re-assign COM ports?

!