COM1 not available

Hi all,
I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
program.
I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
program is using the com port.

regards

Jon Erlendsson
10 answers Last reply
More about com1 available

    Start here:

    Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.

    Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?

    r.

    "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
    > But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
    > program.
    > I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
    > program is using the com port.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Jon Erlendsson

    Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK

    Jón

    "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > Start here:
    >
    > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
    >
    > Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
    >> But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
    >> program.
    >> I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
    >> program is using the com port.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Jon Erlendsson

    Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
    device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as a
    serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
    *hijacking* the port.

    HTH
    Chris A. Kusmierz

    Chris Kusmierz wrote:
    > Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial
    > pointing device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting
    > serial data as a serial pointing device and automatically installing
    > drivers, thereby *hijacking* the port.
    >
    > HTH
    > Chris A. Kusmierz
    >
    > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
    >> Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
    >>
    >> Jón
    >>
    >> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >>> Start here:
    >>>
    >>> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
    >>>
    >>> Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
    >>>
    >>> r.
    >>>

    >>> "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message

    Windows "acquires" the port. "Hijacking" has such a, well, negative
    connotation.

    There are no serial pointing devices in the Device Manager and I am running
    W2K.

    Jon

    "Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
    > Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
    > device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as
    > serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
    > *hijacking* the port.
    >
    > HTH
    > Chris A. Kusmierz
    >
    > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
    >> Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
    >>
    >> Jón
    >>
    >> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> > Start here:
    >> >
    >> > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
    >> >
    >> > Is COM1 enabled in your BIOS?
    >> >
    >> > r.
    >> >

    >> > "Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:05:16 -0000, "Jon Erlendsson"
    <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote:

    >Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK

    Do you have any "hot sync" applications on the computer?

    Not that I know of. What is a #hot sync" application?

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> skrifaði í
    boðafréttum:419406e3.583834669@news.comporium.net...

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:17:16 -0000, "MSNews" <jone@hugvis.com>
    wrote:

    >Not that I know of. What is a #hot sync" application?

    They are applications that are for connecting PDAs and such to
    the computer for transfering data and such via the serial port.

    >>>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
    >>
    >> Do you have any "hot sync" applications on the computer?

    You probably should post in the Windows 2000 hardware NG instead of the
    XP group. The installation most likely required that the "drivers" be
    installed on the system "BEFORE" the device was seen connected to the
    port. I suggest contacting the vendor for the appropriate installation
    instructions for your hardware and operating system, and following them
    for best results.

    Jon Erlendsson wrote:

    > There are no serial pointing devices in the Device Manager and I am running
    > W2K.
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Check under device manager and see if XP has installed a serial pointing
    >>device. If so, disabled it. XP has a habit of interpreting serial data as
    >>serial pointing device and automatically installing drivers, thereby
    >>*hijacking* the port.
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>Chris A. Kusmierz
    >>
    >>"Jon Erlendsson" <jonerl@krabb.is> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Yes the COM1 is enabled and status = OK
    >>>
    >>>Jón
    >>>
    >>>"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message

    I'm sort of having the same issue...I need to attach a USB to Serial
    Converter for a radio that must be connected to either COM 1 or COM 2 and i
    can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this? When I plug in to a USB
    port it automatically assigns COM 4-7 but not 1-3?? Is there a way to
    re-assign COM ports?

    "Jon Erlendsson" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I am running a program which gets signals from a GPS thru a com port.
    > But when I start it it reports that the com1 is in use by some other
    > program.
    > I am not aware of any program using the port, sohow can I see which
    > program is using the com port.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Jon Erlendsson

Comm Port Hardware Microsoft Windows XP