Death of a HP Deskjet cartridge. Design or natural causes ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 18, 2004 1:27:02 PM

I'm having problems printing with an out of date HP Deskjet cartridge.
I's a hp C6578d (a.k.a.. "78")
Cyan just wont print.
New cartridges work OK in the same printer.

Any answers please *on these specific points* ?

1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ? In a chip ?
2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?
3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?
4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?

I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge (in
an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch itself from OK to
useless
over a 9 month period.

I can imagine that ink might deteriorate gradually in such a way as to be
slightly less perfect than some "industry standard" but for one colour in
the cartridge to just switch itself off
after a certain date seems to imply design rather than natural causes.

So, has anyone hard facts on that ?

TIA

Alf or Rosalie.
June 18, 2004 1:48:49 PM

Maybe the cartridge has dried out. I've had that happen with a cartridge
package that had not been opened.
--

Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield:)
Sometimes you're the bug:(

"Alf" <msexch.pub.fr.newsgroup.se@lectio.net> wrote in message
> I'm having problems printing with an out of date HP Deskjet cartridge.
> I's a hp C6578d (a.k.a.. "78")
> Cyan just wont print.
> New cartridges work OK in the same printer.
>

> Any answers please *on these specific points* ?
>
> 1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ? In a chip ?
> 2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?
> 3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?
> 4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?
>
> I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge (in
> an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch itself from OK to
> useless
> over a 9 month period.
>
> I can imagine that ink might deteriorate gradually in such a way as to be
> slightly less perfect than some "industry standard" but for one colour in
> the cartridge to just switch itself off
> after a certain date seems to imply design rather than natural causes.
>
> So, has anyone hard facts on that ?
>
> TIA
>
> Alf or Rosalie.

June 18, 2004 9:30:32 PM

And what - if owt - can be done to resurrect a dried out cartridge ?

"Ron" <spam@kwic.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Maybe the cartridge has dried out. I've had that happen with a cartridge
> package that had not been opened.
> --
>
> Ron P
>
> Sometimes you're the windshield:)
> Sometimes you're the bug:(
>

> "Alf" <msexch.pub.fr.newsgroup.se@lectio.net> wrote in message
> > I'm having problems printing with an out of date HP Deskjet cartridge.
> > I's a hp C6578d (a.k.a.. "78")
> > Cyan just wont print.
> > New cartridges work OK in the same printer.
> >

> > Any answers please *on these specific points* ?
> >
> > 1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ? In a chip ?
> > 2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?
> > 3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?
> > 4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?
> >
> > I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge
(in
> > an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch itself from OK
> > useless
> > over a 9 month period.
> >
> > I can imagine that ink might deteriorate gradually in such a way as to
be
> > slightly less perfect than some "industry standard" but for one colour
in
> > the cartridge to just switch itself off
> > after a certain date seems to imply design rather than natural causes.
> >
> > So, has anyone hard facts on that ?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Alf or Rosalie.

Related resources
June 18, 2004 9:30:33 PM

> And what - if owt - can be done to resurrect a dried out cartridge ?

It's garbage. Nothing can be done except to replace it.
--

Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield:)
Sometimes you're the bug:(

> "Ron" <spam@kwic.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Maybe the cartridge has dried out. I've had that happen with a cartridge
> > package that had not been opened.
> > --
> >
> > Ron P
> >
> > Sometimes you're the windshield:)
> > Sometimes you're the bug:(
June 19, 2004 3:13:31 PM

The HP cartridges have the printheads in the cartridge. It's likely that
the Cyan ejector is faulty. If all else fails, try *gently* using an
ordinary rubber eraser on the cartridge contacts. That's a mild abrasive
that will remove any film that might be preventing a good circuit, without
damaging the contact plating. But *don't* do that to the mating comtacts on
the printer. They are obviously OK if another cartridge works, and
freequent eraser treatment will eventually wear off the plating on the
contacts.

This procedure works sometimes, but usually the cause is a defective
ejector.

Don

!