Question about SCSI setup on GA-8KNXP Ultra-64

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2004 10:21:33 PM

I just finished putting together a new computer, but it won't boot!

Motherboard: GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 (Same As GA-8KNXP Ultra from what I can tell with
some upgrades)

CPU: P4 3.0GHz 800Mhz 478P/1MB with Hyper Threading

Memory: 1GB PC4000 HYPERX

Vedio Card: ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB 8X

SCSI HD drive: IBM 36GB 15000rpm U160 68 pin

also a IDE CD and a floppy drive

All this in a Thermaltake case with a 520 Watt PS.

HD already has windows XP installed and was the boot HD from my other computer
but it will not boot -- just restarts the computer when I try to boot from it.
If I use my windows XP Pro CD, machine starts to boot from CD but then gives a
error with Hard disk. This HD came out of my other computer and was running
fine with Windows XP. I am not sure if it may be a termination problem. The
SCSI cable that came with the MB has a terminator at the end of the cable which
I left in place, However the HD is not terminated, the HD ID is 0. I did not
want to terminate the HD until I asked someone that might have an idea what is
happening. Right now the HD is the only SCSI equipement in the computer. I did
go into SCSI setup and set it as a U160 SCSI device. I also disabled SATA in
the computer as I am not using it -- I also enabled it to see if that was the
problem but still did the same thing.

I wanted to keep the equipement in the computer at a minimum until I had it up
and running.

Thanks
May 16, 2004 1:40:33 AM

Hi,

You need to do a repair XP install.

Your have changed your mobo so all the hardware that XP knows about from
your last mobo is still configured and it does not know about your new mobo
just yet - repair reruns the Plug and Play detect.

You will need to feed the SCSI driver to XP during the repair in response to
F6. You will have confirmation on screen when the drivers have loaded OK as
it will ask a second time if you have drivers to install. Leave the floppy
in the drive after you have fed the drivers in as sometimes it expects to
see the floppy again.

Follow the instructions over here:

- Tim

!