GA-6BXDS and Geforce2(agp) doesnt works

i tried to install a Geforce2 mx400 on my giagabyte 6bxds board but it
doesnt works the board gives out a bepp code (long short short short) wich
means a graphic fault .
the graphic card works fine on an older board.

what's wrong with the mainboard??
11 answers Last reply
More about 6bxds geforce2 doesnt works

    "Nico Eisold" <nico-e@web.de> wrote in message
    > i tried to install a Geforce2 mx400 on my giagabyte 6bxds board but it
    > doesnt works the board gives out a bepp code (long short short short) wich
    > means a graphic fault .
    > the graphic card works fine on an older board.
    >
    > what's wrong with the mainboard??

    Nothing's wrong with the mobo. It was designed for 3.3V AGP2x standard
    whereas your GeForce2 is 1.5V AGP4x. Some AGP4x cards can be switched to
    3.3V, either automatically or via a jumper, some can't. Yours obviously
    can't. Simple.

    "Nico Eisold" <nico-e@web.de> wrote in message news:<c87rc5$bg6$02$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > i tried to install a Geforce2 mx400 on my giagabyte 6bxds board but it
    > doesnt works the board gives out a bepp code (long short short short) wich
    > means a graphic fault .
    > the graphic card works fine on an older board.
    >
    > what's wrong with the mainboard??

    Actually i had tried a geforce2mx (cant remember if it was 400 or
    plain mx) and it work with that board(dual cpu right?). Since the
    graphic card works on another board(which has agp1x or 2x??) it is
    kind of weird. Ensure that the graphic card is firmly put in and that
    little knob at the end of the AGP slot is securing the card correctly.
    I still remember that i was getting beep errors with another graphic
    card because it wasnt put in firmly, though it looked ok. Removing and
    reputting it and pushing enough but gently make it work.
    If you were using a PCI card prior to, check in bios to see that boot
    from AGP is enabled. Also the AGP slot may have become dirty and
    collect dust and fuzz. Use some sort of cleaning fluid with an ear
    button if this is the case.

    > (dual cpu right?)

    yes dual PIII 450Mhz

    > Ensure that the graphic card is firmly put in and that little knob at the

    there is no knob, and it sits right in the AGP port

    > If you were using a PCI card prior to, check in bios to see that boot
    > from AGP is enabled.

    i had restet the bios to factory default

    >Also the AGP slot may have become dirty and collect dust and fuzz. Use
    some sort of cleaning fluid with an ear ..

    no its clean
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    ">
    > there is no knob, and it sits right in the AGP port

    There must be something that secures the agp card. All the gigabyte
    boards, since 1998 have it.

    Other tips:
    Go to bios, disable fast writes, set agp aperture size to equal that
    of your graphic card memory(if it is a geforce2mx with 32mb then set
    agp aperture to 32mb). If you have more than 512mb of main memory, you
    can set agp aperture to 128mb.

    Have you updated to the latest bios? Only the latest bios gives you
    option to change the agp aperture size.

    Have you test any other agp graphic card with this motherboard?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Dimitris" <p92012@rainbow.cs.unipi.gr> wrote in message
    > Other tips:
    > Go to bios,

    If all he gets is beep codes how can he go into BIOS?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > There must be something that secures the agp card. All the gigabyte
    > boards, since 1998 have it.

    the board is fron 1998

    > Other tips:
    > Go to bios, disable fast writes, set agp aperture size to equal that
    > of your graphic card memory(if it is a geforce2mx with 32mb then set
    > agp aperture to 32mb). If you have more than 512mb of main memory, you
    > can set agp aperture to 128mb.

    i'll try

    > Have you updated to the latest bios? Only the latest bios gives you
    > option to change the agp aperture size.

    i'll do

    > Have you test any other agp graphic card with this motherboard?

    no
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > > Have you test any other agp graphic card with this motherboard?
    >
    > no

    Have you ever seen this board working?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Have you ever seen this board working?

    i had a elsa erazor II 16mb (pci) card before
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > If all he gets is beep codes how can he go into BIOS?

    i have a elsa erazor II 16mb (pci) card for that mobo
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > > Have you ever seen this board working?
    >
    > i had a elsa erazor II 16mb (pci) card before

    No other AGP card then?

    I have 2 machines here based on 6BXDS. One is a file server (rev. 1.7)
    running Matrox G400 and the other is an engineering support PC (rev. 1.6)
    running Matrox G100, both using BIOS F1. I don't have a GeForce2 card but I
    do have an original GeForce card, Creative Labs CT6971 (I think it was
    called the Annihilator) and that runs perfectly in the engineering PC and an
    128MB Inno3D Tornado GeForce4 MX440 that also runs perfectly. So its either
    your video card or the AGP slot.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Nico Eisold" <nico-e@web.de> wrote in message news:<c8aum0$p15$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > > If all he gets is beep codes how can he go into BIOS?
    >
    > i have a elsa erazor II 16mb (pci) card for that mobo

    Exactly. I assumed somehow that he hasnt use an agp card before, and
    he was using a PCI card prior to the agp geforce. Zord must take a
    look at one of my previous messages in this thread.

Gigabyte Graphics Cards Motherboards