Are newish mbs ok with new ATX12V, w/o -5Volt ?

Hi,

I think this is how it works. Please correct me if I am wrong.

"Old fashioned" ATX 12V version 1.2 power supplies have a -5 Volt
supply, but version 1.3 power supplies have no connection on that
pin. Historically the -5 Volt line was needed for ISA cards.

How do you tell if a mother board needs a -5 V supply? Is not
having ISA slots sufficient? Buy a new power supply and see if
it works?

I have a GA-8SIMLH (with a version 1.2 ps) and a GA-6VM7A+
(without a power supply). Neither has ISA slots. The BIOS of
the 8SIMLH reports that positive voltages (VCore, +3.3, +5 and
+12) are OK, but does not mention -5 V or -12 V values.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.

I have a newer Soltek board that crashes, my +5 reads 0 in the Bios and when
Windows loads health monitor reads 0 volts for +5, can't be power supply
because all drives work they need +5 to move spindle. My -5 reads ok strange
problem any suggestions Thanks

2002-Z06 wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte:

> "Peter D." <psd@c17.home.invalid> wrote in message
[snip]
>> "Old fashioned" ATX 12V version 1.2 power supplies have a -5 Volt
>> supply, but version 1.3 power supplies have no connection on that
>> pin. Historically the -5 Volt line was needed for ISA cards.
>>
>> How do you tell if a mother board needs a -5 V supply? Is not
>> having ISA slots sufficient? Buy a new power supply and see if
>> it works?
[snip]

To answer my own question; -5 V has not been used in ages.
Ancient floppy controllers might use it and the ISA standard
demanded it.

> I have a newer Soltek board that crashes, my +5 reads 0 in the Bios

2002-Z06,

You are an optimist asking about a Soltek board in a GigaByte group.

> and when Windows loads health monitor reads 0 volts for +5, can't be
> power supply because all drives work they need +5 to move spindle.

I thought that most drives used +12 V to turn the spindle.

> My -5 reads ok strange problem any suggestions Thanks

Sorry. Can't help you. Here are a few wild guesses; your power
supply is version 1.2 or older, you have a loose connection,
your BIOS and/or monitoring hardware is wrong.

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.