USB Flash Drive won't install

I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I have new
hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its ready to use
it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard it tells
me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find the
device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have the
drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and rebooted
but the same problem keeps happening.

Any help is appreciated!!!

I am having the same exact problem. It used to work fine, until I installed
Service Pack 2.

"musicprofessor" wrote:

> I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I have new
> hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its ready to use
> it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard it tells
> me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find the
> device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have the
> drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and rebooted
> but the same problem keeps happening.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!!

I am having a very similar problem with my PNY attache 1G flash driver. It
worked when I first got it but now neither my computer at home or work
recognize it. It used to show up by name and now if it shows up at all (at
least at home) it shows up as a removable disk F and when I try to access it
I get the error message that it is not availabe (or can't be accessed)
because of a possible io divice error????
How can I fix this?
"musicprofessor" wrote:

> I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I have new
> hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its ready to use
> it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard it tells
> me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find the
> device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have the
> drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and rebooted
> but the same problem keeps happening.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!!

One other bit of information, it is not accessible no matter which of my USB
ports i plug it into...and it is always Removable disk F.
Thanks...

the1stephzen Wrote:
> One other bit of information, it is not accessible no matter which of my
> USB
> ports i plug it into...and it is always Removable disk F.
> Thanks...
>
> "the1stephzen" wrote:
> -
> I am having a very similar problem with my PNY attache 1G flash
> driver. It
> worked when I first got it but now neither my computer at home or
> work
> recognize it. It used to show up by name and now if it shows up at
> all (at
> least at home) it shows up as a removable disk F and when I try to
> access it
> I get the error message that it is not availabe (or can't be
> accessed)
> because of a possible io divice error????
> How can I fix this?
> "musicprofessor" wrote:
> -
> I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I have
> new
> hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its ready
> to use
> it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard
> it tells
> me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find
> the
> device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have
> the
> drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and
> rebooted
> but the same problem keeps happening.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!!--

Here's a list of fixes included in SP2. If you can see what it fixed,
you may be able to decern what it broke:
'List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2'
(http://tinyurl.com/4bvk6)
Happy Reading,
Treeman

--
Treeman

"the1stephzen" <the1stephzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One other bit of information, it is not accessible no matter which of my
> USB
> ports i plug it into...and it is always Removable disk F.
> Thanks...
>
> "the1stephzen" wrote:
>
>> I am having a very similar problem with my PNY attache 1G flash driver.
>> It
>> worked when I first got it but now neither my computer at home or work
>> recognize it. It used to show up by name and now if it shows up at all
>> (at
>> least at home) it shows up as a removable disk F and when I try to access
>> it
>> I get the error message that it is not availabe (or can't be accessed)
>> because of a possible io divice error????
>> How can I fix this?
>> "musicprofessor" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I have
>> > new
>> > hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its ready
>> > to use
>> > it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard it
>> > tells
>> > me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find
>> > the
>> > device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have the
>> > drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).
>> >
>> > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and
>> > rebooted
>> > but the same problem keeps happening.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated!!!

I have a similar problem with the USB flash drive. Everything else on
system - Running XP Pro SP2 - works fine except flash pen drive isn't
recognised. All help appreciated.

Derek Wray Wrote:
> "the1stephzen" the1stephzen@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> One other bit of information, it is not accessible no matter which of
> my
> USB
> ports i plug it into...and it is always Removable disk F.
> Thanks...
>
> "the1stephzen" wrote:
> -
> I am having a very similar problem with my PNY attache 1G flash
> driver.
> It
> worked when I first got it but now neither my computer at home or
> work
> recognize it. It used to show up by name and now if it shows up at
> all
> (at
> least at home) it shows up as a removable disk F and when I try to
> access
> it
> I get the error message that it is not availabe (or can't be
> accessed)
> because of a possible io divice error????
> How can I fix this?
> "musicprofessor" wrote:
> -
> I have a new usb flash drive and when I plug it in XP tells me I
> have
> new
> hardware. Instead of just installing it and telling me that its
> ready
> to use
> it brings up the new hardware wizard. After I go through the wizard
> it
> tells
> me that my new hard drive cannot be installed because it cannot find
> the
> device drivers. WEll I thought that with XP it should already have
> the
> drivers, that's waht the product website says (PNY and Sandisk).
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the usb port drivers, etc. and
> rebooted
> but the same problem keeps happening.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!!---
>
> I have a similar problem with the USB flash drive. Everything else on
> system - Running XP Pro SP2 - works fine except flash pen drive isn't
> recognised. All help appreciated.

For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
(http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
Treeman

--
Treeman

Treeman Wrote:
> For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
> 'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
> (http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
> order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
> Treeman

Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/partnerpack/desc/ufd.htm
Hey, This might work!
Treeman

--
Treeman

"Treeman" <Treeman.1mvx1p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Treeman Wrote:
>> For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
>> 'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
>> order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
>> Treeman
>
> Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/partnerpack/desc/ufd.htm
> Hey, This might work!
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

I've downloaded this and am now slowly working my way through it. I'll be
back to say if it works or not. But even if it doesn't, thank you for all
your effort.

Derek Wray Wrote:
> "Treeman" Treeman.1mvx1p@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>
> Treeman Wrote:-
> For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
> 'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
> (http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
> order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
> Treeman-
>
> Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/partnerpack/desc/ufd.htm
> Hey, This might work!
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman-
>
> I've downloaded this and am now slowly working my way through it. I'll
> be
> back to say if it works or not. But even if it doesn't, thank you for
> all
> your effort.

Not a problem Derek,
Still SP1 & functioning.
Treeman

--
Treeman

"Treeman" <Treeman.1mvx1p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Treeman Wrote:
>> For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
>> 'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
>> order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
>> Treeman
>
> Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/partnerpack/desc/ufd.htm
> Hey, This might work!
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

Right - I have tried it and no joy. The flash drive is still not recognised
properly.

Derek Wray Wrote:
> "Treeman" Treeman.1mvx1p@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>
> Treeman Wrote:-
> For some reason, I think the clue to what SP2 changed is here;
> 'Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2'
> (http://tinyurl.com/22dt3) Seems like everything was locked down, in
> order to make Windows more secure. I'll keep looking for the fix.
> Treeman-
>
> Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/partnerpack/desc/ufd.htm
> Hey, This might work!
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman-
>
> Right - I have tried it and no joy. The flash drive is still not
> recognised
> properly.

Hi Derek,
I don't know what to say except maybe try another flash drive. I think
you should start another thread because of these suggestions I've seen
here;
"Make sure USB is enabled in the bios."
You mean XP has the ability to change bios settings?
"There are a couple of "me too's attached to your post"
Riding on a thread, and saying I have the same problem get's less
attention.
"No direction to a KB article, or sound solution."
This board is run to help us fix problems, not just sit here and wonder
what to do next.
My2cents,
Treeman

--