GA-K8NNXP-940 and FX53 temps

I built a PC using a GA-K8NNXP-940 and FX53 retail . . . the CPU was
showing 70C in the BIOS and was running 80C under 100% CPU, I have read of
others having the same problem. Case temp seems OK and the CPU heatsink is
not quite too hot to touch . . . I think the motherboard is mis-reading the
temp . . . .

Anyone know of a fix ? I have the latest BIOS, F3 . . .

regards, SimonG

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:01:34 +0100, SimonG Ltd. wrote:

>I built a PC using a GA-K8NNXP-940 and FX53 retail . . . the CPU was
>showing 70C in the BIOS and was running 80C under 100% CPU, I have read of
>others having the same problem. Case temp seems OK and the CPU heatsink is
>not quite too hot to touch

I'm not sure how many degrees "not quite too hot to touch" translates into,
but if the CPU is reported hot and the heatsink seems to be much cooler, the
first thing to check is the contact between the two. A cool heatsink is not
in itself a good thing.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:01:34 +0100, SimonG Ltd. wrote:
>
> >I built a PC using a GA-K8NNXP-940 and FX53 retail . . . the CPU was
> >showing 70C in the BIOS and was running 80C under 100% CPU, I have read
of
> >others having the same problem. Case temp seems OK and the CPU heatsink
is
> >not quite too hot to touch
>
> I'm not sure how many degrees "not quite too hot to touch" translates
into,
> but if the CPU is reported hot and the heatsink seems to be much cooler,
the
> first thing to check is the contact between the two. A cool heatsink is
not
> in itself a good thing.

Henrik, I know what you mean but I was very happy with the way the heat
sink went on, also when I stop running the CPU at 100% the temperature does
fall quickly down to 64C (idle temp got better after running at 100% CPU
for 36 hours) . . . this suggests to me that the heatsink is doing it's job.
Not quite too hot to touch . . I guess it's around 55C maybe a little less.

I did think about removing the heatsink but I don't have any spare large
pads, I have small ones but the FX has a heat spreader so needs a large
pad. I have heatsink compound but I'm not sure how well it performs
compared to the pad.

cheers, SimonG