Favourites not saving

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 10, 2005 4:02:04 AM

Hi all.
I'm running mame32v.90 on 98se and just had to do a full install of mame32
after the pc crashed. For some reason, now when I drag `n` drop games into
the favourites folder, I get the "Error while saving custom file
folders\Favourites.ini" message. Looked through google but all I could find
was something about editing ini files or them being read only. Not to sure
what I need to do there. Can any one advise??

thanks in advance...... Foz

More about : favourites saving

February 10, 2005 9:01:34 AM

* Foz wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Hi all.
> I'm running mame32v.90 on 98se and just had to do a full install of mame32
> after the pc crashed. For some reason, now when I drag `n` drop games into
> the favourites folder, I get the "Error while saving custom file
> folders\Favourites.ini" message. Looked through google but all I could find

Does this folder exist?

Typically this would be:

X:\MAME32\FOLDERS\FAVORITES.INI

--
David
It isn't necessary to be an idiot to be a senior officer, but it sure helps

yep, the fodler does exsit,so I'm not to sure what's going on.
"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
> * Foz wrote in alt.games.mame:
> > Hi all.
> > I'm running mame32v.90 on 98se and just had to do a full install of
mame32
> > after the pc crashed. For some reason, now when I drag `n` drop games
into
> > the favourites folder, I get the "Error while saving custom file
> > folders\Favourites.ini" message. Looked through google but all I could
find

> Does this folder exist?
>
> Typically this would be:
>
> X:\MAME32\FOLDERS\FAVORITES.INI
>

> --
> David
> It isn't necessary to be an idiot to be a senior officer, but it sure
helps
> -- Murphy's Military Laws n°50
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:16:57 AM

Foz wrote:
> yep, the fodler does exsit,so I'm not to sure what's going on.

Try right clicking on favorites.ini and selecting properties. Make sure
it is not set to "Read Only"

--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."

Foz wrote:
> yep, the fodler does exsit,so I'm not to sure what's going on.

-----8<-----

May I (gently) suggest you switch to Mozilla Thunderbird, as it has a
spelling checker which picks up typos, as well as being impervious to
OE-specific virii, etc.?

Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:31:48 PM

Dead_Dad wrote on 10. February 2005:

> Foz wrote:
>> yep, the fodler does exsit,so I'm not to sure what's going on.
>
> -----8<-----
>
> May I (gently) suggest you switch to Mozilla Thunderbird, as it has a
> spelling checker which picks up typos, as well as being impervious to
> OE-specific virii, etc.?

May I (gently) suggest to switch to Linux, as of Windows'
vulnerabilities? ;-)

Just kidding (well, not really). But today I saw there was a big security
update for Windows, removing alot of vulnerabilities. Please all Windows
users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
Windows-Update thingy.
--
By(e) Andreas
February 10, 2005 10:14:33 PM

SINNER wrote on 10. February 2005:

> * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
> [...]
>
>> Please all Windows
>> users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
>> Windows-Update thingy.
>>

> Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
> Administrators.

k.os is. Since I point my gun at his head and force him to be reastricted
user this way. ;-)

> Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do anything when you
> arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie click up a
> terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task> (prefered).

Windows programmer were used to program for a system to have full
permission in Win 3.11 and 9x. They still do since it might be harder to
work with restricted resources. And Micrsoft doesn't recommend to set up
a password for the admin account and also set up a restricted user.

So malware (vruses, trojans and worms) are so successful, and also will
be in future.

And I can mount default shares of many Windows users to my file system
and see all their pr0n. :-)
--
By(e) Andreas
February 10, 2005 10:31:33 PM

not to sure how, but problem sorted. Thanks for the help!!
"Foz" <adam.foz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
> I'm running mame32v.90 on 98se and just had to do a full install of mame32
> after the pc crashed. For some reason, now when I drag `n` drop games into
> the favourites folder, I get the "Error while saving custom file
> folders\Favourites.ini" message. Looked through google but all I could
find
> was something about editing ini files or them being read only. Not to sure
> what I need to do there. Can any one advise??
>
> thanks in advance...... Foz

February 10, 2005 11:36:15 PM

* Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:

[...]

> Please all Windows
> users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
> Windows-Update thingy.

Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
Administrators. Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do
anything when you arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie
click up a terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task>
(prefered).

--
David
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:03:17 AM

Hellmark wrote on 10. February 2005:

> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> were:
>> * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> [...]
>>> Please all Windows
>>> users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
>>> Windows-Update thingy.
>> Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
>> Administrators. Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do
>> anything when you arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie
>> click up a terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task>
>> (prefered).
>
> I'd actually say sudo is more dangerous than su. If its enabled, and you
> leave your workstation unlocked when you are away, or if you get a
> bad script running on your machine, it'll have root privilages, where as
> su still has to have the password for root.

You can and should also set a password (the user's password) for the
commands you allow to the "sudoers". And may be not allow all commands
for a sudoer.

Then if not told others a password expires after 5 minutes. An attacker
needs to know the password for the sudo-user after that. So his login
password.

But I also prefer su. It's like "Run as" in Windows, but always works, while
"Run as" seems not to always work.

You can see that it's new for the Gates company to work with permissions
and multi users, and that Unix does this since the 70s, when you compare
both.
--
By(e) Andreas
February 11, 2005 3:59:14 AM

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
> [...]
>> Please all Windows
>> users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
>> Windows-Update thingy.
> Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
> Administrators. Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do
> anything when you arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie
> click up a terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task>
> (prefered).

I'd actually say sudo is more dangerous than su. If its enabled, and you
leave your workstation unlocked when you are away, or if you get a
bad script running on your machine, it'll have root privilages, where as
su still has to have the password for root.
February 11, 2005 6:09:17 AM

* Hellmark wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> were:
>> * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> [...]
>>> Please all Windows
>>> users become: administrator and install them by clinking at the
>>> Windows-Update thingy.
>> Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
>> Administrators. Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do
>> anything when you arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie
>> click up a terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task>
>> (prefered).

> I'd actually say sudo is more dangerous than su. If its enabled, and you
> leave your workstation unlocked when you are away, or if you get a
> bad script running on your machine, it'll have root privilages, where as
> su still has to have the password for root.

sudo requires a password by default and all sudo functions are logged,
not so with su - . Not to mention root has control over who can sudo,
how long perms last, what they can run and whether or not a password is
required.

--
David
A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:

> * Hellmark wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
>> were:
>>> * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>> [...]
>>> Yeah, right, as if you know any Windows users that ARENT
>>> Administrators. Hell, I cant blame them, its a damn struggle to do
>>> anything when you arent and its not as accesible at it is in Linux, ie
>>> click up a terminal and either su (dangerous) or sudo <task>
>>> (prefered).
>
>> I'd actually say sudo is more dangerous than su. If its enabled, and you
>> leave your workstation unlocked when you are away, or if you get a
>> bad script running on your machine, it'll have root privilages, where as
>> su still has to have the password for root.
>
> sudo requires a password by default and all sudo functions are logged,
> not so with su - . Not to mention root has control over who can sudo,
> how long perms last, what they can run and whether or not a password is
> required.

For while a person has sudo access, on the average case though the
restrictions are like

username ALL=(ALL)

giving them essentially full privilages, logged or not. Usually how I've
seen it, no password are setup. While that's issues with the user setting
it up incorrectly, thats abit akin to running an admin account in Windows;
user problem but highly common and still possible security issue.
!