Large Disk Support

muse

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check to
see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?

Thanks in advance

How to check to see if your motherboard is 48bit LBA ready?

Answer: The 160GB hard drive should be listed @ the max capacity in
the BIOS set-up screen. If not, then the m/b does not support it.

"Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
> BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
> partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
> partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
> case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check
> see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
>
> Thanks in advance

muse

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

Yes I am using Disk Management, it will show the entire drive, it will
partition and format, as the format reaches 100% it will then give me the
"Format was unsuccessful" error.
- The 120 GB Partition is what I partitioned it as in order to use some of
it for now.
- My BIOS is compliant as it does see the entire drive.
- Also, this is a replacement for a defective 160 GB WD drive, for which I
was able
to format and use to full capacity with no problems.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> How to check to see if your motherboard is 48bit LBA ready?
>
> Answer: The 160GB hard drive should be listed @ the max capacity in
> the BIOS set-up screen. If not, then the m/b does not support it.
>

> "Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> > The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
> > BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
> > partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
> > partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
> > case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check
> > see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Tim

hello help pls
bought 2nd hand pc with os is 2k server with 1 wd1200 series 120GB hdd/cd
rom/floppy. hdd has C drive(3.9gb) and new vol E (43.9gb) and F(63.9gb).the
pc is in good working condition

Now i want to install only 2k OR xp and into 3 partitions . pls adv how can
i go about doing this. pls help and many thanks

"Muse" wrote:

> Yes I am using Disk Management, it will show the entire drive, it will
> partition and format, as the format reaches 100% it will then give me the
> "Format was unsuccessful" error.
> - The 120 GB Partition is what I partitioned it as in order to use some of
> it for now.
> - My BIOS is compliant as it does see the entire drive.
> - Also, this is a replacement for a defective 160 GB WD drive, for which I
> was able
> to format and use to full capacity with no problems.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
> > How to check to see if your motherboard is 48bit LBA ready?
> >
> > Answer: The 160GB hard drive should be listed @ the max capacity in
> > the BIOS set-up screen. If not, then the m/b does not support it.
> >

> > "Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> > > The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
> > > BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
> > > partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
> > > partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
> > > case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check
> > > see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Is your WinXP installation CD pre SP1? Did you install WinXP first, then
install SP2? If yes to both questions, this answers your quandary. Pre SP1
XP is not 48-LBA enabled. Try building a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed in
(built into it) - then XP setup will see the full drive size at
partition/format time and you can use the full capacity.

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
"Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
> BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
> partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
> partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
> case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check
> see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
>
> Thanks in advance

muse

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

Ok, I have to check my CD, but if I could get a SP1 CD then apply SP2, would
that work? Also...how DO I build an XP CD with SP2 built into it???

"StringFellow Hawk" wrote:

> Is your WinXP installation CD pre SP1? Did you install WinXP first, then
> install SP2? If yes to both questions, this answers your quandary. Pre SP1
> XP is not 48-LBA enabled. Try building a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed in
> (built into it) - then XP setup will see the full drive size at
> partition/format time and you can use the full capacity.
>
> --
>
> StringFellow Hawk
>
> "Dom, Give me Turbos"
> "Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> > The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows, my
> > BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead it is
> > partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot be
> > partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just in
> > case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I check
> > see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Google is your friend! Several websites have instructions on how to build
slipstreamed versions of XP with SP1 or SP2.

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
> Ok, I have to check my CD, but if I could get a SP1 CD then apply SP2,
would
> that work? Also...how DO I build an XP CD with SP2 built into it???
>
> "StringFellow Hawk" wrote:
>
> > Is your WinXP installation CD pre SP1? Did you install WinXP first,
then
> > install SP2? If yes to both questions, this answers your quandary. Pre
SP1
> > XP is not 48-LBA enabled. Try building a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed
in
> > (built into it) - then XP setup will see the full drive size at
> > partition/format time and you can use the full capacity.
> >
> > --
> >
> > StringFellow Hawk
> >
> > "Dom, Give me Turbos"
> > "Muse" <Muse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > OK I have installed a Seagate 160 GB HD on a Win XP Pro SP2 system.
> > > The drive has been detected, Large disk support is enabled in Windows,
my
> > > BIOS supports the drive, but I can't format it at full size, instead
it is
> > > partitioned to 120 GB. The remaining 30 GB (149GB in Windows) cannot
be
> > > partitioned. I have checked my Motherboard site for any updates just
in
> > > case, but there are non for this board. Any Ideas? and how can I
check
> > > see if my BIOS is LBA 428 ready?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

muse

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

Will this work with a slipstreamed SP1 version?