Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

My computer clock has suddenly started losing large amounts of time when the
computer is turned off and not connected to the internet. I use an atomic
clock sync program when connected and it keeps accurate time. Is it possible
that the battery on the motherboard is dying, and if so, is it difficult to
change? That is, can it be changed without losing data/programs, etc.?
Thanks. I am running XP Pro with all service packs updated.
--
Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Alvin,

Thanks. We have our computers built at a company in MA called New England
Digital, so the type of motherboard depends on the particular time of built.
I realize that I will have to look at the board to see what is needed, but i
was curious about losing something when the battery is removed. Thanks very
much for your response.

"Don" wrote:

> My computer clock has suddenly started losing large amounts of time when the
> computer is turned off and not connected to the internet. I use an atomic
> clock sync program when connected and it keeps accurate time. Is it possible
> that the battery on the motherboard is dying, and if so, is it difficult to
> change? That is, can it be changed without losing data/programs, etc.?
> Thanks. I am running XP Pro with all service packs updated.
> --
> Don

Hello

Yes you would have to open your case and look at the mother
layout and you should be able to replace the battery, just all depends
on oyur type of mother brd or cpu since you did not mention what
type of pc did you have, as far as data you will not lose any data

Alvin

Don wrote:

> My computer clock has suddenly started losing large amounts of time when the
> computer is turned off and not connected to the internet. I use an atomic
> clock sync program when connected and it keeps accurate time. Is it possible
> that the battery on the motherboard is dying, and if so, is it difficult to
> change? That is, can it be changed without losing data/programs, etc.?
> Thanks. I am running XP Pro with all service packs updated.
> --
> Don

It is very likely that your MB battery is dying. Generally speaking,
you can change batteries without losing your CMOS settings (there is
quite a big capacitor in parallel with the the battery to allow this),
but it is worth (for this and other purposes) writhing them down
before you start. You don't risk losing anything else unless you try
to change the battery with the system turned on! Check your
motherboard manual for the battery type (usually a 3V Lithium button
cell) and location.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:54:09 -0800, Don
<Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer clock has suddenly started losing large amounts of time when the
>computer is turned off and not connected to the internet. I use an atomic
>clock sync program when connected and it keeps accurate time. Is it possible
>that the battery on the motherboard is dying, and if so, is it difficult to
>change? That is, can it be changed without losing data/programs, etc.?
>Thanks. I am running XP Pro with all service packs updated.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Peter,

Thanks for your input. I will give it a try over the weekend and let you
know how it worked out. Thanks again for your help.