  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2004 5:04:39 PM

I built a PC for one set of cousins and they're very happy. Now the
others are jumping on the boat. But these people want to go even less
than $600. Maybe around $300. This is what I have so far.

My question is, should I go with what I have or make some changes?
They're not gamers, and I don't see them doing any real high end stuff
on here. Maybe some kids software - and MS Office. The only thing
I'm missing is the case and power supply. What would you suggest?
Also, I don't want to go with on board video. I'm a traditionalist.

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
(combo)

GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
$53.00

Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00

GeForce FX 5700 LE AGP 8X (250/400MHz) / 128MB DDR + TV out
(Resolution up to 1024 x 768) @

Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR / TV-Out w/Low Profile
Panel (Retail) @ $55.00

They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.

My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
case.

More about : building budget cousins

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 2:11:00 AM

You can buy a refurbished computer from Dell or gateway that will come with
a warranty and a bunch of other software as well as a modem and network
adapter. the only down side is that they have onboard graphics.

believe me the last thing you want to do is build a PC for a relative or
sell a used car to a former friend!

Wayne

"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
> I built a PC for one set of cousins and they're very happy. Now the
> others are jumping on the boat. But these people want to go even less
> than $600. Maybe around $300. This is what I have so far.
>
> My question is, should I go with what I have or make some changes?
> They're not gamers, and I don't see them doing any real high end stuff
> on here. Maybe some kids software - and MS Office. The only thing
> I'm missing is the case and power supply. What would you suggest?
> Also, I don't want to go with on board video. I'm a traditionalist.
>

> Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
> (combo)
>
> GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
> $53.00
>
> Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00
>
> GeForce FX 5700 LE AGP 8X (250/400MHz) / 128MB DDR + TV out
> (Resolution up to 1024 x 768) @
>
> Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR / TV-Out w/Low Profile
> Panel (Retail) @ $55.00
>

> They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
> have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
> getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.
>
> My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
> and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
> case.
May 24, 2004 2:11:01 AM

Wayne wrote:
> You can buy a refurbished computer from Dell or gateway that will come with
> a warranty and a bunch of other software as well as a modem and network
> adapter. the only down side is that they have onboard graphics.
>
> believe me the last thing you want to do is build a PC for a relative or
> sell a used car to a former friend!
>
> Wayne

Agreed. I built one for my father ... I already had 2 full-time jobs
.... now I've got a 3rd. <GRIN>
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 2:56:58 AM

Harry Edwards <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message news:<c7m1b0p2su1ibp50kt0dt1s8go2dh9kt0v@4ax.com>...
> I built a PC for one set of cousins and they're very happy. Now the
> others are jumping on the boat. But these people want to go even less
> than $600. Maybe around $300. This is what I have so far.
>
> My question is, should I go with what I have or make some changes?
> They're not gamers, and I don't see them doing any real high end stuff
> on here. Maybe some kids software - and MS Office. The only thing
> I'm missing is the case and power supply. What would you suggest?
> Also, I don't want to go with on board video. I'm a traditionalist.
>

> Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
> (combo)
>
> GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
> $53.00
>
> Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00
>
> GeForce FX 5700 LE AGP 8X (250/400MHz) / 128MB DDR + TV out
> (Resolution up to 1024 x 768) @
>
> Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR / TV-Out w/Low Profile
> Panel (Retail) @ $55.00
>

> They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
> have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
> getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.
>
> My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
> and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
> case.

I suggest a good brand PSU@400Watt, say Antec or Zalman or
Thermaltake. This PSU will ensure stability and troublefree upgrade.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 8:30:18 AM

Harry Edwards <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message news:<c7m1b0p2su1ibp50kt0dt1s8go2dh9kt0v@4ax.com>...

> They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
> have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
> getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.
>
> My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
> and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
> case.

Since you are low on budget(<=300$?) you dont have a choice, you are
forced to go for onboard graphics and audio..Such a mobo(not one of
the latest ofcourse) about 80-100$ plus 120-150$ for 17CRT, and you
will have 50-100$ for the rest, that is
case+mouse+keyboard+speakers+modem. If you are lucky enough you may
found a motherboard with onboard modem. You may as well forget my
previous suggestion of a good brand PSU if you are on <=300$.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2004 8:40:11 AM

> Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
> (combo)
>
> GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
> $53.00
>
> Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00
>

> case.

Err.. i thought all these were for free..seems they arent, so forget
my previous message. Except if ..Are the 300$ for the whole system, or
for the rest(Pc case, CRT, misc) of what you already have bought?
!