Building a Budget PC for my Cousins

I built a PC for one set of cousins and they're very happy. Now the
others are jumping on the boat. But these people want to go even less
than $600. Maybe around $300. This is what I have so far.

My question is, should I go with what I have or make some changes?
They're not gamers, and I don't see them doing any real high end stuff
on here. Maybe some kids software - and MS Office. The only thing
I'm missing is the case and power supply. What would you suggest?
Also, I don't want to go with on board video. I'm a traditionalist.

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
(combo)

GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
$53.00

Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00

GeForce FX 5700 LE AGP 8X (250/400MHz) / 128MB DDR + TV out
(Resolution up to 1024 x 768) @

Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR / TV-Out w/Low Profile
Panel (Retail) @ $55.00

They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.

My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
case.
5 answers Last reply
More about building budget cousins

    You can buy a refurbished computer from Dell or gateway that will come with
    a warranty and a bunch of other software as well as a modem and network
    adapter. the only down side is that they have onboard graphics.

    believe me the last thing you want to do is build a PC for a relative or
    sell a used car to a former friend!

    Wayne

    Wayne wrote:
    > You can buy a refurbished computer from Dell or gateway that will come with
    > a warranty and a bunch of other software as well as a modem and network
    > adapter. the only down side is that they have onboard graphics.
    >
    > believe me the last thing you want to do is build a PC for a relative or
    > sell a used car to a former friend!
    >
    > Wayne

    Agreed. I built one for my father ... I already had 2 full-time jobs
    .... now I've got a 3rd. <GRIN>

    Harry Edwards <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message news:<c7m1b0p2su1ibp50kt0dt1s8go2dh9kt0v@4ax.com>...
    > I built a PC for one set of cousins and they're very happy. Now the
    > others are jumping on the boat. But these people want to go even less
    > than $600. Maybe around $300. This is what I have so far.
    >
    > My question is, should I go with what I have or make some changes?
    > They're not gamers, and I don't see them doing any real high end stuff
    > on here. Maybe some kids software - and MS Office. The only thing
    > I'm missing is the case and power supply. What would you suggest?
    > Also, I don't want to go with on board video. I'm a traditionalist.
    >

    > Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
    > (combo)
    >
    > GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
    > $53.00
    >
    > Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00
    >
    > GeForce FX 5700 LE AGP 8X (250/400MHz) / 128MB DDR + TV out
    > (Resolution up to 1024 x 768) @
    >
    > Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR / TV-Out w/Low Profile
    > Panel (Retail) @ $55.00
    >

    > They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
    > have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
    > getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.
    >
    > My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
    > and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
    > case.

    I suggest a good brand PSU@400Watt, say Antec or Zalman or
    Thermaltake. This PSU will ensure stability and troublefree upgrade.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Harry Edwards <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message news:<c7m1b0p2su1ibp50kt0dt1s8go2dh9kt0v@4ax.com>...

    > They're not gamers so they don't need an ultra powerful machine. I
    > have the Operating System covered so don't worry about that. I'm
    > getting them Windows XP Home for oneof tgheir birthdays.
    >
    > My remaining questions are this... what about a case, power supply
    > and monitor? I'm hoping to get them a 17 inch CRT and a mid tower
    > case.

    Since you are low on budget(<=300$?) you dont have a choice, you are
    forced to go for onboard graphics and audio..Such a mobo(not one of
    the latest ofcourse) about 80-100$ plus 120-150$ for 17CRT, and you
    will have 50-100$ for the rest, that is
    case+mouse+keyboard+speakers+modem. If you are lucky enough you may
    found a motherboard with onboard modem. You may as well forget my
    previous suggestion of a good brand PSU if you are on <=300$.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Gigabyte GA-7VTXE KT266A With AMD Athlon XP 2100 @ $83.00
    > (combo)
    >
    > GENERIC 512MB PC2100 DDR 266 266MHZ 184pin DIMM MEMORY. DDR SDRAM. @
    > $53.00
    >
    > Seagate 40.0GB EIDE. ATA/100 2MB/ 5400RPM @ $44.00
    >

    > case.

    Err.. i thought all these were for free..seems they arent, so forget
    my previous message. Except if ..Are the 300$ for the whole system, or
    for the rest(Pc case, CRT, misc) of what you already have bought?

Gigabyte Motherboards