Distribute WAP key automatically

I have about 300 laptops I need to attach to a network thru numerous
access points. I have not made a decision on the make/model of the
access points. All of the laptops will be WinXP SP2. I would like to
set them up with some type of WPA. I would also like to have a random
shared key generated, if possible, then distributed to the laptops
automatically with out user intervention. We do not have Active
Directory and do not want to have to keep track of username and
passwords w/ a RADIUS server. This is a school environment so security
is not much of an issue, but I do not want just anyone coming in and
attaching to our network.

I would appreciate any help with determining a direction I could go. I
have noticed a setting within the XP wireless client saying something
about the key be automatically sent to the client.

Thanks for your time and help

Jason

Hi Jason,

There are a couple of different ways you can configure (also know as
provisioning) the Wireless Zero Configuration client without using the UI.
The first is by using the Wireless Network Setup Wizard with a flash drive.
There is a Cable-Guy article describing how to use the wizard to do this
here:

There is also a static provisioning API which can be used by developers
to write a program to add network profiles to the Wireless Zero
Configuration client. The API is part of the DDK and can accept Wireless
Zero Configuration settings in the form of XML data. Here is a link to the
API in MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/network/hh/network/wps_2dd6673a-95cf-4c91-a8b2-57c76adc5163.xml.asp

You might want to ask yourself how often you are planning to change the
keys on the wireless network. If you do not plan to change them often, then
perhaps using the Wireless Network Setup Wizard will be the correct solution
for you. If you plan to change them frequently, then you might want to
investigate writing an application using the static provisioning API.

Regarding your question concerning the setting for "The key is provided
for me automatically" within the advanced settings, this setting is used in
two cases:

1) If you are using a wireless network configured to perform authentication
using the 802.1X protocol and an authentication server (Active Directory/IAS
or RADIUS, etc), upon successfully authenticating to the wireless network a
unique encryption key will be provided to the client by the authentication
server.

2) Some older wireless network cards (for example some older Cisco models)
had some flash memory which could store encryption keys. Typically the keys
on the card would be configured by an IT department and the card would be
given to someone using the wireless network.

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]