Unusual Prfoblem with Kt600

I just bought a GA-7vt600 1394 motherboard. For one thing I didn't
get it with RAID yet it installed RAID drivers. No problems just
weird.
I'm using an Athlon 2700+. When I installed the heatsinc and CPU, and
boot up, I got a heat warning. The European sounding siren thing.
That happened a few times. I tried two heatsinks both of which are
good ones, I forget which one though... They don'thave names printed
on. Scratch that - one is by Spite. It has a fan the size of the
case fans on it - still got the warning. So Iput te other oneback in.
Same thing. I went into the bios a few times and fooled around to no
avail. I used the "reset to optimal" option and I didn't get the heat
siren anymore. I was able to install Windows XP, MS Office 2003, and
Symantec Antivirus. My question is, what the heckhappened? Could the
bios have been set wrong from the factory?

not to over look the obvious, did you use HS grease?

K.K.