Event ID: 1003
Date: 11/11/2004
Time: 12:12:26
User: N/A
Computer: *****************
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from
the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
************. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will
continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network
address (DHCP) server.

Data:
0000: 79 00 00 00 y...

followed within a day by
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 11/11/2004
Time: 12:13:19
User: N/A
Computer: ****************
The IP address lease *********** for the Network Card with network
address ************* has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1
(The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

The last one will be the one where the connection has died. I've tried
looking this up on the net but I'm still a little (ha ha) shaky on
this stuff. Anyone explain how to fix this in a nice simple way?
--
Paul (Scared of what the morning brings)
Stop and Look

A couple of thoughts on that... First, it sounds like when your computer
is supposed to renew the IP address (which it is usually set to do after
a specified amount of time), it is either not communicating properly
with the router or the router is not working properly. You can always
try updating the firmware for your router which is usually recommended
as it often adds new security features and fixes bugs as well.

You can also check the settings in the router and make it so the lease
never expires (I believe this is an option with the Linksys routers).
You may also need to check for a firmware update for your modem as well
as it could just be the modem not reauthenticating as well. Your best
bet would be to ask your ISP for help ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)

Nathan McNulty wrote:

> A couple of thoughts on that... First, it sounds like when your computer
> is supposed to renew the IP address (which it is usually set to do after
> a specified amount of time), it is either not communicating properly
> with the router or the router is not working properly. You can always
> try updating the firmware for your router which is usually recommended
> as it often adds new security features and fixes bugs as well.
>
> You can also check the settings in the router and make it so the lease
> never expires (I believe this is an option with the Linksys routers).
> You may also need to check for a firmware update for your modem as well
> as it could just be the modem not reauthenticating as well. Your best
> bet would be to ask your ISP for help ;)

Thanks nathan. I've been delving and it looks like I may be able to
stop the lease thing from occurring.
--
Paul (I got the horrors cos I'm one inch tall)