SATA drive causes blue screen of death

My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but not
all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I get
the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are being
checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and the
windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This is
somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with an
IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses Windows
XP.
3 answers Last reply
More about sata drive blue screen death

    "Dodgr Rereksin" <ericksor@aol.com> wrote in message news:<IGftc.47104$bS1.37407@okepread02>...
    > My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but not
    > all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I get
    > the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are being
    > checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and the
    > windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This is
    > somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with an
    > IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
    > witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
    > boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses Windows
    > XP.

    Apparently it is a Windows2000 issue. If you have installed any sata
    utilities(like the SataRaid or Javasataraid utility) that load at
    startup this might be to blame. But i think its windows2000. Try to
    find drivers for your sata controller that work stable under
    windows2000. If you are sure the drivers work ok(like in another
    friend same motherboard pc with win2000) then try to remove pci cards,
    usb devices, e.t.c if you want to find the conflict..I know this is a
    painfull process,,maybe you want to get some other advices before you
    proceed to that .
    Similar situation happens to me but between WindowsMe and WinXP. WinXP
    works perfect, WindowsME doesnt even start but crashes with a
    bluescreen of Hardware Protection error. Only solution was to get into
    winME safemode, disable the sata controller via the control
    panel/system devices/scsi controllers/satalink controller (or sataraid
    controller). Now it boots but of course cant see the drive at all.

    After more experimenting with the problem, I'm led to the conclusion that is
    is not SATA problem but something more like a Windows 2000 / SCSI problem.
    The BSOD has been occuring when SATA is disabled. Before just recently, it
    did seem like a SATA problem by the number of times it occurred when SATA
    was enabled and disabled.

    In more experimenting, I've been holding shift/control down when the Windows
    2000 boot process goes into the username/password, which is apparently
    preventing BSOD crashes.

    "Dodgr Rereksin" <ericksor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but
    not
    > all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I
    get
    > the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are
    being
    > checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and the
    > windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This is
    > somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with an
    > IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
    > witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
    > boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses
    Windows
    > XP.

    My fix for this problem was to change the adaptec boot options, so both
    Single Image Master and peripheral to boot both were using the same single A
    channel. Previously one of the selections was B which apparently caused
    inconsistent boots.

    > After more experimenting with the problem, I'm led to the conclusion that
    is
    > is not SATA problem but something more like a Windows 2000 / SCSI problem.
    > The BSOD has been occuring when SATA is disabled. Before just recently,
    it
    > did seem like a SATA problem by the number of times it occurred when SATA
    > was enabled and disabled.
    >
    > In more experimenting, I've been holding shift/control down when the
    Windows
    > 2000 boot process goes into the username/password, which is apparently
    > preventing BSOD crashes.
    >

    > "Dodgr Rereksin" <ericksor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but
    > not
    > > all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I
    > get
    > > the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are
    > being
    > > checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and
    the
    > > windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This
    is
    > > somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with
    an
    > > IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
    > > witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
    > > boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses
    > Windows
    > > XP.

Gigabyte SATA Blue Screen Motherboards