mame with a gui

Is there a good mame emulator with a gui runing under xp. Coudn't find one
up to now.
17 answers Last reply
More about mame

    http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/

    --
    David

    Franz Stauber's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:
    > Is there a good mame emulator with a gui runing under xp. Coudn't find one
    > up to now.

    For on a desktop, use MAME32, for in a cabinet, there's a few others I
    can't remember offhand (But then again I wouldnt recommend XP for a cab)

    Franz Stauber wrote:
    > Is there a good mame emulator with a gui runing under xp. Coudn't
    > find one up to now.

    I would recommend using Emuloader ( http://tinyurl.com/3vu67 ) with
    fastMAME ( http://tinyurl.com/44e5z ) for a fast & easy MAME experience.

    - Emuloader is a very attractive frontend that supports both
    nPlayers.ini ( http://tinyurl.com/5psjw ) and
    catver.ini ( http://tinyurl.com/6hv2l ), which are (IMO) must-haves.
    You also have to option of using /live/ MAWS ( http://tinyurl.com/67u2w
    ) info instead of screenshots!

    - fastMAME is a highly optimized version of standard MAME.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Franz Stauber wrote:
    > Is there a good mame emulator with a gui runing under xp. Coudn't
    find one
    > up to now.

    I use MAME32 on my custom cab running Windows XP. I just put it into my
    starup folder so it loads at boot time. Everyting runs smooth.

    Orbian

    http://www.herzberg.net/mame

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:16:01 GMT, Dead_Dad
    <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >- fastMAME is a highly optimized version of standard MAME.

    highly optimized? i thought they just ran it through a different
    compiler

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:17:45 GMT, SINNER
    <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    >> Shuts down faster than Linux too. There are practically no Services
    >> running though. I'm at the desktop in under 30 seconds on a 2ghz P4.
    >

    >Not that I don't believe you but, here are my numbers which I just tested
    >and neither of the below stats reflects a tuned for boot/minimal
    >configuration setup.
    >
    >My test Laptop is Dell 2.8 P4 and dual boots XP Home (which I never use
    >on this machine) and MDK 10.1. It connects wirelessly to my network on a
    >hub in another room.
    >
    >Windows XP Home / Auto Login = 52 seconds to the desktop.
    >
    >MDK 10.1 @ Login: = 52 seconds, 18 seconds after seeing the prompt I was
    >at my desktop, I use fluxbox. This machine runs apache/mysql/sshd and a
    >few other servers.

    I didn't see huge gains in Windows until I gutted the Services and put
    the interface in Classic mode. This isn't the way I'd run a normal
    desktop computer. It goes right into MAME. I was comparing the boot
    speed to the way I had Linux configured by default. I was new to it,
    so there may have been ways to optimize. I didn't get any benefits in
    game speed with XMame, and I had lots of other things to do on the
    project so that was basically where I started migrating away from
    Linux. Not that it was very important, but shutdowns were definitely
    quicker with Windows no matter what. Mandrake went through a list of
    things it was doing, taking nearly as long as it did to boot.
    I know the argument to that is that you never need to reboot with
    Linux, but the cab only gets used a couple times a week so I don't
    leave it running like my desktops.

    Pics and info on my build here if anyone wants to take a peek...
    http://home.comcast.net/~tok/

    Tim

    On 12 Feb 2005, you wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>>Hmm, thats odd, this machine boots linux faster than Windows. Also,
    >>>personally, if I were to use Windows as a basis for a cab, I'd use
    >>>Win2k. Find that's a bit more stable than XP and more resource
    >>>friendly.
    >
    > Yeah, alt.games.mame.linux.nerds now! ;-)
    >
    >> Shuts down faster than Linux too. There are practically no Services
    >> running though. I'm at the desktop in under 30 seconds on a 2ghz P4.
    >
    > Mine takes three seconds.

    Damn! You must have nearly zero services running!

    --
    Do you want a free Gaming Console?
    http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

    Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote in
    ankman.de:

    >> Depends on the service, but yes. Hardware detection on startup is
    >> the lengthy part.
    >
    > Mandrake, right?
    >
    > chkconfig --del harddrake

    No, I'm a Slackware guy. What exactly does this command do?

    >> Does that 3 seconds include unmounting the drives?
    >
    > Yes. Only if the shares of the W2000 PC are mounted it takes longer.

    Neat. I haven't played with Linux for a gaming system in a while, maybe
    I'll give it another go soon.

    --

    * Peale wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote in
    > ankman.de:

    >>> Depends on the service, but yes. Hardware detection on startup is
    >>> the lengthy part.

    >> Mandrake, right?

    >> chkconfig --del harddrake

    > No, I'm a Slackware guy. What exactly does this command do?

    Its a command line tool for changing services in a particular
    runlevel, the above will stop hardrake from running in the current
    runlevel.

    --
    David
    Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who

    SINNER wrote on 14. February 2005:

    > * Peale wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >> Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote in
    >> ankman.de:

    >>> Mandrake, right?
    >
    >>> chkconfig --del harddrake
    >
    >> No, I'm a Slackware guy. What exactly does this command do?

    Services are started by scripts, usually residing in /etc/init.d/. What
    to start and stop in what runlevel is told by links in the certain
    runlevel directories. For example /etc/rc3.d is the directory for
    runlevel 3. The chkconfig adds or removes links. Though you could add or
    remove them with "ln" or "rm" manually.

    chkconfig is Mandrake-only I believe.

    > Its a command line tool for changing services in a particular
    > runlevel, the above will stop hardrake from running in the current
    > runlevel.

    I think it adds or removes the link from all runlevels.
    --
    By(e) Andreas

    * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > chkconfig is Mandrake-only I believe.

    I am not sure this is true, if anything it was likely 'borrowed' from
    Red Hat.

    >> Its a command line tool for changing services in a particular
    >> runlevel, the above will stop hardrake from running in the current
    >> runlevel.
    >
    > I think it adds or removes the link from all runlevels.

    SYNOPSIS
    chkconfig --list [name]
    chkconfig --add name
    chkconfig --del name
    chkconfig [--level levels] name <on|off|reset>
    chkconfig [--level levels] name

    [...]

    The --level option may be used to specify which runlevels
    are affected.

    [...]

    --del name
    The service is removed from chkconfig management,
    and any symbolic links in /etc/rc.d which pertain
    to it are removed.

    By default it looks like you are correct but you can use the --level
    switch for more control.

    You can use ntsysv as well.
    --
    David

    SINNER wrote on 14. February 2005:

    > * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >> chkconfig is Mandrake-only I believe.
    >
    > I am not sure this is true, if anything it was likely 'borrowed' from
    > Red Hat.

    I think Manmdrake is French. French borrow everything from ohters. ;-)

    [...]

    > By default it looks like you are correct but you can use the --level
    > switch for more control.
    >
    > You can use ntsysv as well.

    Don't have this here.

    But I have to reboot now, messed up rpm data base and dead "sync" entries
    in my process list. And updating stuff crashes the process as it waits
    till it can sync... :-(
    --
    By(e) Andreas

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in

    > My test Laptop is Dell 2.8 P4 and dual boots XP Home (which I never
    > use on this machine) and MDK 10.1. It connects wirelessly to my
    > network on a hub in another room.
    >
    > Windows XP Home / Auto Login = 52 seconds to the desktop.
    >
    > MDK 10.1 @ Login: = 52 seconds, 18 seconds after seeing the prompt I
    > was at my desktop, I use fluxbox. This machine runs apache/mysql/sshd
    > and a few other servers.

    Just for a thought, my 600 MHz cabinet PC with Windows 98 starts
    up in 40 seconds (from power-on to frontend - desktop is disabled),
    and that's including 15 seconds for the BIOS (before the OS even
    starts) and 4 seconds for a "Welcome" sound. It shuts down in a
    glimpse (< 1 second).

    I'm not really a Windows 98 advocate but I think none of the
    professional Windows versions can beat that (not on that hardware,
    that is). Don't know about Linux.

    Regards
    Wolfram

    On 16 Feb 2005 08:00:58 GMT, Wolfram Roesler <wr@spam.la> wrote:

    >Just for a thought, my 600 MHz cabinet PC with Windows 98 starts
    >up in 40 seconds (from power-on to frontend - desktop is disabled),
    >and that's including 15 seconds for the BIOS (before the OS even
    >starts) and 4 seconds for a "Welcome" sound. It shuts down in a
    >glimpse (< 1 second).
    >
    >I'm not really a Windows 98 advocate but I think none of the
    >professional Windows versions can beat that (not on that hardware,
    >that is). Don't know about Linux.
    >
    >Regards
    >Wolfram

    Is the install stable Wolfram? My original plan was to use 98se, but I
    just remembered how it used to start flaking out after 5 or 6 months
    and I'd wind up doing a re-format and clean install about once a year
    to get rid of the mysterious crashes and slowdowns
    My next machine is going to be a bartop with 933mzh P3, so I might go
    with 98se for that

    Tim
    ..

    Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in

    >>Just for a thought, my 600 MHz cabinet PC with Windows 98 starts
    >>up in 40 seconds (from power-on to frontend - desktop is disabled),
    >>and that's including 15 seconds for the BIOS (before the OS even
    >>starts) and 4 seconds for a "Welcome" sound. It shuts down in a
    >>glimpse (< 1 second).
    >
    > Is the install stable Wolfram? My original plan was to use 98se, but I
    > just remembered how it used to start flaking out after 5 or 6 months
    > and I'd wind up doing a re-format and clean install about once a year
    > to get rid of the mysterious crashes and slowdowns

    I've been using the same 98 installation for about a year and
    a half, and it's been unchanged since last October when I
    finished my cabinet. I've never had any stability problems,
    but then I don't do anything with the computer except running
    MAME. Perhaps your stability problems came from installing
    and removing software or modifying the system in other ways?

    Anyway, I took an image backup of the hard disk so I can recover
    to a known-good installation in case of problems. Knoppix (Linux
    that boots from CD) is a good tool for that. See my homepage for
    more information: http://www.roesler-ac.de/wolfram/klax

    Regards
    Wolfram

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:00:18 +0100, Wolfram Roesler <wr@spam.la>
    wrote:

    >I've been using the same 98 installation for about a year and
    >a half, and it's been unchanged since last October when I
    >finished my cabinet. I've never had any stability problems,
    >but then I don't do anything with the computer except running
    >MAME. Perhaps your stability problems came from installing
    >and removing software or modifying the system in other ways?
    >
    >Anyway, I took an image backup of the hard disk so I can recover
    >to a known-good installation in case of problems. Knoppix (Linux
    >that boots from CD) is a good tool for that. See my homepage for
    >more information: http://www.roesler-ac.de/wolfram/klax

    Thats exactly what I wondered. The machines were do-all PC's, so all
    the apps were installed, net surfing, etc. Just wanted to make sure a
    machine that didn't do that stuff didn't still flake out.

    Tim

    Tim O's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > Thats exactly what I wondered. The machines were do-all PC's, so all
    > the apps were installed, net surfing, etc. Just wanted to make sure a
    > machine that didn't do that stuff didn't still flake out.

    98, stripped down, and used solely for MAME should be more than plenty
    stable.

Games Emulator Windows XP Video Games