Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB or nVidia GeForce FX 5900 (Standard)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM III,
Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well on
the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?

Specifications:
-ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
-AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
-512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
-WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
-nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
-LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
-Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
-Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K

Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9800 128mb nvidia geforce 5900 standard
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    My last card - 9800 Pro- ran doom 3 excellent. All settings in Doom 3 were
    set to the highest.

    You might also consider upgrading your memory to 1 Gig to get the best
    performance. XP uses quite a bit of the memory and Doom likes a lot as well.

    I installed XP on 2 partitons on my hard drive. One is for regular
    computing - Surfing the net etc and the other is strickly for Games. Just
    XP , Firewall , Antivirus and Games. This setup keeps the games partiton a
    lot cleaner and the games run real well this way.

    "Host [UltGC]" <ultgcgaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
    > Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM
    > III,
    > Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well
    > on
    > the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
    > always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
    >
    > Specifications:
    > -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
    > -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
    > -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
    > -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
    > -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
    >
    > Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I forgot to say in the previous post :

    I upgrade dfrom the 9800 Pro to the BFG GeForce 6800 OC. The graphics are
    Fantastic and a lot better than the 9800 Pro. It cost me $385 Canadian so if
    you are spending American Bucks you should be able to get that one for a
    good price. The 9800 Pro has 8 pipelines - the 6800 has 12 pipelines. Memory
    on the 9800 is 378 mhz and the 6800 is 700 mhz.

    "Host [UltGC]" <ultgcgaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
    > Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM
    > III,
    > Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well
    > on
    > the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
    > always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
    >
    > Specifications:
    > -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
    > -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
    > -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
    > -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
    > -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
    >
    > Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Host [UltGC] wrote:
    > I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
    > Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM III,
    > Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well on
    > the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
    > always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
    >
    > Specifications:
    > -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
    > -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
    > -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
    > -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
    > -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
    >
    > Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

    MonarchComputer has a NVIDIA G6800 Ultra for $499.00 it is a very good
    video board.

Microsoft Windows XP