Desktop Replacement for Gaming

Hi,

Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Suggestions:
1. Visit a Gaming forum, where gamers hang out, and ask gamers for
hardware recommendations.
2. Buy one of the many magazines dedicated to gaming and read their
recommendations.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

"Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
> Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a great gaming computer.:
Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with 8 channel sound.
AMD 64+ 3500 939
BFG 6800 OC video card.
1 Gig (2x 512) Dual channel memory.
2 160 gig hard drives. 1 for regular computing - 1 for games only.

"Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
> Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Definitely on of the AMD 64 machines...and one of the higher ATI X-series of
video cards...Stay away from the Pentiums if you want to game on a laptop;
they just are not ready for that.

What is your price range?

Bobby

"RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
>I have a great gaming computer.:
> Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with 8 channel sound.
> AMD 64+ 3500 939
> BFG 6800 OC video card.
> 1 Gig (2x 512) Dual channel memory.
> 2 160 gig hard drives. 1 for regular computing - 1 for games only.
>

> "Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
>> Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know about Pentiums being any different than an AMD in a laptop.
I have a Dothan core Pentium M 755 with the GeForce Go5650 that runs
most games at a reasonable rate. It is more the video card that matters
for gaming, not so much the processor.

If you are looking at a laptop, I recommend the ATI Mobility cards
though. I have used both and really wish I had the ATI Mobility 9700 in
my Dell D800, but stupid Dell claims they can't sell the ATI for that
laptop even though the form factor is identicle. Sometimes outsourcing
jobs to India has its disadvantages, but at least I saved a little money :/

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> Definitely on of the AMD 64 machines...and one of the higher ATI X-series of
> video cards...Stay away from the Pentiums if you want to game on a laptop;
> they just are not ready for that.
>

> What is your price range?
>
> Bobby
>

> "RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
>
>>I have a great gaming computer.:
>>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with 8 channel sound.
>>AMD 64+ 3500 939
>>BFG 6800 OC video card.
>>1 Gig (2x 512) Dual channel memory.
>>2 160 gig hard drives. 1 for regular computing - 1 for games only.
>>

>>"Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
>>>Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?
>>>
>>>Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nathan;

There is a *SIGNIFICANT* difference between the AMD64 and P4 in *ANY*
platform. I can guarantee that even the lowliest AMD 64 would allow higher
frame rates if everything else was the same...plus the AMD64 will play the
new 64 bit games while no P4 can (and please...no one should bring up the
sadly inadequate P4 procs with EMT64 support...not ready for kindergarten,
much less prime time...why buy a 32 bit processor that emulates 64 bit?).

Bobby
"Nathan McNulty" <gmail@nathanmcnulty.com> wrote in message
>I don't know about Pentiums being any different than an AMD in a laptop. I
>have a Dothan core Pentium M 755 with the GeForce Go5650 that runs most
>games at a reasonable rate. It is more the video card that matters for
>gaming, not so much the processor.
>
> If you are looking at a laptop, I recommend the ATI Mobility cards though.
> I have used both and really wish I had the ATI Mobility 9700 in my Dell
> D800, but stupid Dell claims they can't sell the ATI for that laptop even
> though the form factor is identicle. Sometimes outsourcing jobs to India
> has its disadvantages, but at least I saved a little money :/
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
> Swap gmail with name for email :)
>
> NoNoBadDog! wrote:
>> Definitely on of the AMD 64 machines...and one of the higher ATI X-series
>> of video cards...Stay away from the Pentiums if you want to game on a
>> laptop; they just are not ready for that.
>>

>> What is your price range?
>>
>> Bobby
>>

>> "RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a great gaming computer.:
>>>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with 8 channel sound.
>>>AMD 64+ 3500 939
>>>BFG 6800 OC video card.
>>>1 Gig (2x 512) Dual channel memory.
>>>2 160 gig hard drives. 1 for regular computing - 1 for games only.
>>>

>>>"Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Look on www.alienware.com . They make gaming laptops. They also have
laptops that you can "upgrade" the video cards.

Also, Dell may have a good laptop for gamers.

"Daphne" <Daphne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions for a good desktop replacements for gaming?
> Which type of graphics and sound card should it come with?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Not more than $3000, i guess