Bubble-jet printer problem -- common? cause?

Hi,

I've been working at a new job in a new office for a few months. My
previous experience with computers was with dot-matrix printers in the
'80s and early '90s, then with LED and laser printers from the mid
'90s onward.

This office I now work in has a bubble-jet printer which is used on a
couple of computers on which drafts, rather than final copies
(usually), are written. But we want the drafts to be readable, or
even something that can be sent over the fax.

Last couple of days, the printer has been printing with white lines
(i.e., non-print) at certain intervals down the page. I wouldn't call
these "streaks" exactly -- since the lines are quite precise and
'hard-edged'. Very clean, if totally unwanted and annoying! They
just cut from left to right, right through any lines of words or
graphics.

We replaced the ink cartidge -- and did the print-head-cleaning
procedure about eight times.

Any advice? THANKS in advance!

montane

<< I wouldn't call
these "streaks" exactly -- since the lines are quite precise and
'hard-edged'. Very clean, if totally unwanted and annoying! They
just cut from left to right, right through any lines of words or
graphics. >>

Montane-

It sounds like an individual nozzle on your print head may be clogged.

If nothing you do will unclog the print head, replacement is another option.
If yours is a Canon, the print head is most likely part of the cartridge that
holds the ink tank(s), and it can be replaced. The cost of a new cartridge is
higher than just the ink tanks. (I think the color cartridge for my BJC-85 was
around $50, and it came with a fresh set of ink tanks.)

If yours has both removable ink tanks and a removable cartridge that holds the
tanks, then you may be able to soak just the cartridge in a solvent such as
Windex (window cleaner with ammonia), rinse in water and repeat the
print-head-cleaning procedure. Take care that some solvents may ruin the
cartridge.

Are the computers in your office networked? If so, there may be a benefit in
obtaining a new printer that can be added to the network. That way, everyone
has equal access to the printer and its output would be good enough for final
copies. An example is the Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4300DN, which also has the
capability of double-sided (duplex) printing. The version with an additional
paper tray, the 4300DTN, would allow you to use both legal and letter sizes, or
both plain and letterhead paper (or just twice as much plain paper).

Fred