Sony CD-RW and DVD-RW will not recognize correct media aft..

I have two Sony CD drives that after installing SP2 will no longer correctly
recognize writeable media
I've already checked out the Registry
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
Burning\Drives]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
Burning\Drives\Volume{2d9fda91-7f43-11d7-ae64-806d6172696f}]
"Drive Type"=dword:00000002
"CurrentCDWriteSpeed"=dword:ffffffff
"MaxCDWriteSpeed"=dword:00000028

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
Burning\Drives\Volume{415d04d0-a9cd-11d7-b4f4-806d6172696f}]
"Drive Type"=dword:00000002
"CurrentCDWriteSpeed"=dword:ffffffff
"MaxCDWriteSpeed"=dword:0000001e

The drives are SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 and SONY DVD RW DRU-510A

both drives say, when you open My Computer that they are a CD-RW and DVD-RW
drive respectively
But when I insert a CD-RW or DVD+RW in thier drives they both switch to
saying that they are CD Drives
And XP will not let me write files to them, although I can still read them.

Contacting SONY was a waste of time, all they would say was it was
Microsoft's problem.

And I already tried uninstalling the drives from the Hardware Manager and
letting XP rediscover them

Please tell me that there is a way to fix this

I guess I should also mention that I was using Veritsa DLA to write to these
drives
2 answers Last reply
More about sony recognize correct media

    Hi:

    I am not sure if this would help but you may try to download and update the
    latest firmware from Sony, if they are available for your models.

    Good luck.

    "Robert Evans" <revanz@optonline.net>
    ???????:Gbxld.401$GV4.856759@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
    >I have two Sony CD drives that after installing SP2 will no longer
    >correctly recognize writeable media
    > I've already checked out the Registry
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    > Burning\Drives]
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    > Burning\Drives\Volume{2d9fda91-7f43-11d7-ae64-806d6172696f}]
    > "Drive Type"=dword:00000002
    > "CurrentCDWriteSpeed"=dword:ffffffff
    > "MaxCDWriteSpeed"=dword:00000028
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    > Burning\Drives\Volume{415d04d0-a9cd-11d7-b4f4-806d6172696f}]
    > "Drive Type"=dword:00000002
    > "CurrentCDWriteSpeed"=dword:ffffffff
    > "MaxCDWriteSpeed"=dword:0000001e
    >

    > The drives are SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 and SONY DVD RW DRU-510A
    >
    > both drives say, when you open My Computer that they are a CD-RW and
    > DVD-RW drive respectively
    > But when I insert a CD-RW or DVD+RW in thier drives they both switch to
    > saying that they are CD Drives
    > And XP will not let me write files to them, although I can still read
    > them.
    >
    > Contacting SONY was a waste of time, all they would say was it was
    > Microsoft's problem.
    >
    > And I already tried uninstalling the drives from the Hardware Manager and
    > letting XP rediscover them
    >
    > Please tell me that there is a way to fix this
    >
    > I guess I should also mention that I was using Veritsa DLA to write to
    > these drives

    I am having similar problems, but they started before I had SP2. My Sony
    CD-RW (CRX225E) will not read properly. I have a Memorex DVD-RW drive also.
    My Sony CD-RW drive writes to CDs fine, but will not read them. I can then
    take the disk I just wrote in my CD drive and it works fine in my DVD-RW
    drive. I went online to Sony and my drive passed there read/write test. I
    also tried Windows Device Manager, but it says my drive is functioning
    properly. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my CD-RW. So
    why can't I get my drive to read for me? If anyone has input I will be
    greatful. Thanks

    "Robert Evans" wrote: ...

Sony CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP