Precott in 8KNXP (rev1.0)

Does anyone know if a 3.0 gig Prescott will work in an 8KNXP (rev1.0)
with an F10 bios update?

Thanks,
Al Combs

Tim

Hi,

See:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_List.htm

It says Yes for bios F10 if I read it correctly.

However I don't know anyone running a prescott on an 8knxp rev 1.0 - most
people I know are avoiding prescott CPU's. My advice FWIW is get a 3.0c
chip - they run cooler and just as fast. Shop around till you find one if
this bothers you. The alternative may be that you find your CPU idle temp is
50c instead of 40c or less.

- Tim

Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportLi
st_List.htm

> It says Yes for bios F10 if I read it correctly.
>
> However I don't know anyone running a prescott on an 8knxp rev 1.0 -
> most people I know are avoiding prescott CPU's. My advice FWIW is get
> a 3.0c chip - they run cooler and just as fast. Shop around till you
> find one if this bothers you. The alternative may be that you find
> your CPU idle temp is 50c instead of 40c or less.
>

> - Tim

P4-3.0E/800/1m (Prescott, .09u) right now, 40C/104F, watching a movie,
42C/108F, playing Far Cry 46-47C/112-119F CPU Core=1.40v

And I might try to swap this back for the Northwood, 3.00/800/512k, same
price.
McG.

> "Al Combs" <nospam@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if a 3.0 gig Prescott will work in an 8KNXP (rev1.0)
>> with an F10 bios update?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Al Combs

Thanks for the info.

Al Combs

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:17:01 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>See:
>http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_List.htm
>
>It says Yes for bios F10 if I read it correctly.
>
>However I don't know anyone running a prescott on an 8knxp rev 1.0 - most
>people I know are avoiding prescott CPU's. My advice FWIW is get a 3.0c
>chip - they run cooler and just as fast. Shop around till you find one if
>this bothers you. The alternative may be that you find your CPU idle temp is
>50c instead of 40c or less.
>

>- Tim
>

>"Al Combs" <nospam@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if a 3.0 gig Prescott will work in an 8KNXP (rev1.0)
>> with an F10 bios update?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Al Combs

Tim

If your ambient is at or near 20C then I would leave temps like that alone.
Stick with it thats a good setup if the 40C is real.
- Tim